Presidential Elections in France: Macron Wins

greeneyedsoul

Just now, Pie-kun said:

The fact that Macron's approval rating is low and that a French president hasn't won re-election in 20 years but Le Pen still lost by double digits. :ahh:

I'm so happy that her attempted image "rehabilitation" has failed spectacularly. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Monster Megamind

• Bloodflowers.

• Bosque

• frenchyisback

1 hour ago, Bears01 said:

Macron sucks, but a LePen win would have massively destabilized NATO/Europe at a time when it’s unity has been at the most critical perhaps in its entire history 

So….yay, I guess 

People need to start realizing (here in the U.S. too) that no one is ever going to "love" the politicians the end up winning. I don't agree with the whole "lesser of two evils" because to act as if Macron was on the same level as Le Pen in any way is just lazy. People can be critical of Macron but still realize he is light years better than Le Pen. We had this same debacle in 2016 but alas.

Same thing I always say about Biden and Trump. You don't have to love the guy but people tried that same **** back in 2020 and it's like... no. If you really see the world in black and white terms like that then you need to start educating yourself more. 

(this wasn't directed to you specifically, just in general)

9 minutes ago, Pie-kun said:

The fact that Macron's approval rating is low and that a French president hasn't won re-election in 20 years but Le Pen still lost by double digits. :ahh:

Le GeePee a dit NON!

aubrey1objn1v4sq1.gif

But Christ there has to be a stronger candidate than Macron next time. 

9 minutes ago, BreakinTheIce said:

People need to start realizing (here in the U.S. too)

French elections are decided by a direct popular vote via runoff - US elections are decided by an electoral college.

Trying to use this moment to finger-wag over elections in America is terribly silly given that they're two completely different systems.

The only overlap seems to be that voters are consistently asked to sacrifice their vote to defend neoliberalism's failures:

FRImf_OWYAAEv1R?format=jpg&name=medium

People already in both countries historically vote knowing their demands will not be met (ie: continued cratering turnout); in America, this is just a horrifically stupid strategy since you can win in America with less % of the vote than you can in France. 

Edited by Communion

6 hours ago, BreakinTheIce said:

I'm so happy that her attempted image "rehabilitation" has failed spectacularly. 

He finished his term with 42 % approval which is higher than Hollande (22) and Sarkozy (36). So he was actually more popular than any president in more than 15 years.

Also, in the polls right before the first round, he was the one that had less rejection rate.

His win is not a surprise if you look outside Twitter and Facebook. He arrived first two weeks ago with a better number and more than 1 million additional votes. He led all the polls for years (22 to 24 % before the Ukraine/Russia War and finished at a close 28 %). Really, the media just loved to fabricate a never-existent drama. 

So Le Pen gained eight points from 2017. If she gains another eight points in 2027, then it becomes a real contest.

The way neoliberalism keeps winning and bringing ruin to the poor/working class. Slay I guess. :clap3: 

The rat has been defeated yet again and I'm glad I did my part. :gaycatina1:

Does anyone know where I can see the results of this election outside France (specific countries)?

Edited by ToMmY

The way the international far-right and its members on here have to pretend as though they were never rooting for Le Pen while shaking in their boots knowing the demons in their respective countries like Boris and Bolsonaro are next. :jonny6: ^^

The right-wing will be purged. 

8 hours ago, @michael said:

So Le Pen gained eight points from 2017. If she gains another eight points in 2027, then it becomes a real contest.

let's wish she's gone by then

7 minutes ago, Communion said:

The right-wing will be purged. 

The right-wing will only become worse as capitalism continues to decay. And since the left is on life support, that's not gonna change anytime soon.

Glad Le Panned lost again, but far-right is increasingly growing and growing all over Europe and I'm scared. Heck I'm scared it could enter in my country's government next elections :biblio:

Edited by Cloudy

1 hour ago, Nano said:

The right-wing will only become worse as capitalism continues to decay. And since the left is on life support, that's not gonna change anytime soon.

Bingo! That’s my takeaway here, speaking as a progressive that can’t stand most of those running or in power, either from inefficiency, hypocrisy, or corruption.

22 hours ago, Both Sides Now said:

Le GeePee a dit NON!

:cm:

Good for France for surviving eliminations...now how will they push him left? Maybe they can school american leftists.

On 4/24/2022 at 4:20 PM, BreakinTheIce said:

People need to start realizing (here in the U.S. too) that no one is ever going to "love" the politicians the end up winning.

I've been thinking about this a lot in the last few years - there will NEVER be a politician I agree with on 100% of issues. And even if I do, they will never be able to execute on those ideas because there's only so much power you can give to a single person (and there's a very good reason for that). The perfect politician will never exist.

On 4/26/2022 at 9:08 AM, getBusy said:

I've been thinking about this a lot in the last few years - there will NEVER be a politician I agree with on 100% of issues. And even if I do, they will never be able to execute on those ideas because there's only so much power you can give to a single person (and there's a very good reason for that). The perfect politician will never exist.

Basically this.

And I'll be damned if you think I am ever going to vote someone like Desantis or Trump over Biden. 

Biden and his administration aren't particularly great, but we are far better off in many areas than we would have been under Republicans most likely imo. And most of the problems we are suffering would have happened under Trump even if he stayed just due to worldwide events out of their control and we probably would be in even worse condition regarding them (ex. inflation, ukraine/russia, gas prices, covid, supply chain issues, etc). Do I think Biden and his administration can be doing more in some areas? Absolutely. But I am glad we are at least better off than I think we would have been otherwise. I am not complacent, but it is what it is, and I can only do so much. I'm not just not voting because I am frustrated with things still. It is an unfortunate consequence of the US that due to our system structure change will be slow, but it also strongly reduces the chances of any tyrannical regimes rising. 

All I can really do is try to get the right candidates on the final ballot that I want by voting in primaries and supporting them in various ways early on, but at the end of the day on the final ballot I have to make a decision about who is realistically the better choice imo and I will probably never 100% like anyone. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.