UK Politics πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ›οΈ Election - Greens quadruple their seats!

Diarrhoea

Thank GOD Reform got less seats than the exit poll suggested. However, the fact they got the 3rd most votes (more than the Lib Dems) is a major concernΒ 

Β 

• Like 5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Slayne

• fountain

• Chemist

• Marla Singer

23 minutes ago, storminthedark said:

Terf Joanna Cherry losing her seatΒ :clap3:

wait :jonny6:

I don't feel optimistic at all. Β Not enough of a conservative defeat and too many votes for reform.Β 

• Like 4

They need to reform the UK election process... as the results are so unbalanced and unreal tbh.

Β 

I know that would mean that Reform UK would have got +90 seats... but the greens would've +40 seats SNP would be at +15 Labour at 220 and Cons 150.

Β 

It's so surreal that a party with a 34% share is holding 63% of the seats--- like what?

Β 

Maybe not taking all of the UK as one circunscription... but all 4 separated and divide them as 4 circunscriptions, to be more fair to local parties too.

Β 

This is crazy, not really a democracy

• Like 1

4 million votes for Reform and 6.7 million votes for Conservative. Oh we're going back to HELL in the next election.

Β 

Lib Dem rising in seatsΒ :clap3:

Β 

SNP tanking is very pleasing to me. We need that party gone at this point since it's hard to vote for them when the party gives mixed signals on policies that aren't independence and all the scandals as of late however Alba is NOT it. I'ma say let's put independence to the side for a few years since no shade, the independence movement needs the Tories in Westminster to prosper. SNP will never win in my constituency again due to repeat failings so they need a full rebrand

Β 

Β :clack:

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, SapphireSky said:

What's going on in LeicesterΒ :ohwow:

Looks like the protest vote for Gaza/Israel. Similar situation happened in Birmingham Labour narrowly lose one of the seat and the majority vote reduce a lot became marginal seat.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zzmyth said:

They need to reform the UK election process... as the results are so unbalanced and unreal tbh.

Β 

I know that would mean that Reform UK would have got +90 seats... but the greens would've +40 seats SNP would be at +15 Labour at 220 and Cons 150.

Β 

It's so surreal that a party with a 34% share is holding 63% of the seats--- like what?

Β 

Maybe not taking all of the UK as one circunscription... but all 4 separated and divide them as 4 circunscriptions, to be more fair to local parties too.

Hard disagree. The whole point of the current system is to avoid the densely populated cities dictating the full resultΒ 

2 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

Hard disagree. The whole point of the current system is to avoid the densely populated cities dictating the full resultΒ 

I'm sorry... but in the end small parties are the ones losing as always and this turns into a lib vs cons battle every time, when the truth is that over 40% of the people that voted DID NOT vote for any of the two parties. And that is with a 60% of turnout... so... literally the results are even worsely reflective of any truth.

Β 

I'm not saying that the Spanish system is good (as that's the only one I know) but it sure is MUCH MORE correlative and reflective of it's results, even with BIG FLAWS and all..

Β 

Β 

12 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

And those areas tend to be more left wing and anti Brexit so maybe that wouldn't be a bad thingΒ :cm:

• Like 1

Thank god Labour finally won in UK. :jonnycat:

Β 

The west is so back :duca:

Β 

But yes UK absolutely needs to get a MMP system in place. Labour should be forced to form coalitions with the smaller parties to make a higher majority. It's what we have in New Zealand. God knows it's not perfect and has meant three scummy parties have joined up to form a government but at least they kinda control and limit each of their own extremes.Β 

Β 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-member_proportional_representation

8 minutes ago, glitch said:

And those areas tend to be more left wing and anti Brexit so maybe that wouldn't be a bad thingΒ :cm:

You want Reform to have 14% of seats?Β :biblio:

2 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

You want Reform to have 14% of seats?Β :biblio:

Well no but democracy should reflect who people are voting for. We don't know how people would vote in a different system. Whilst PR does open up the door to extremists, it also gives people the opportunity to vote for more progressive parties too. Ideally it would force parties to form coalitions and reach compromises rather than any one party having a large majority and just forcing through their policies with little to no scrutiny.

Β 

Labour and the Conservatives would have to work harder to earn their vote rather than just acting like the default.

I'm feeling optimistic. This result is actually a lot better than it seemed at first. Sure there are some definite concerns to have, but frankly 5 years is a long time so I don't really see any reason in people predicting the next election already. We have no idea what will happen between now and then. Let's give Keir and friends their time and see what they can do now. There are so many great representatives of the Labour Party, even if you are unhappy with the leadership itself, and I'm looking forward to seeing them get to work. Overall, this is a win for certain.Β 
Β 

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kind of a side note, but the England Men's National Team going from rainbow armbands and taking the knee just two years ago to being completely politics-free today is such a representation of how increasingly and subtly less progressive the country has become in such a short period of time. I'm "glad" Labour won, but I feel like the version of Labour we have is probably the most neutral we can have - and unfortunately, this neutrality is a large part of why they've managed to win.

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 4

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Would Theresa May have held on to her seat if she had continued?

1 hour ago, abelfenty said:

this makes no sense. the constituencies are drawn based on population numbers so cities still "dictate" the result because there's simply more people living there. this isn't like electoral college in America but even then this idea that land votes and not people is ridiculous. if only 1% of the population lived in rural areas should they still get 50% of the MPs just so cities don't "dictate the full result"? imo 1 person = 1 vote is more democraticΒ 

Β 

but aside of that, theΒ realΒ reason the UK still has FPTP is not because it prevents extremes from entering Parliament, but simply because Labour and Tories are always in power thanks to it so they're not gonna change it. the second it stops benefitting them they'll call for electoral reformΒ 

I am looking at Wikipedia and the final projections for Labour saw them all winning 418-463 seats. They kinda underperformed in the end.Β 

14 minutes ago, Genius1111 said:

I am looking at Wikipedia and the final projections for Labour saw them all winning 418-463 seats. They kinda underperformed in the end.Β 

I mean... they got 412 (possibly 413) and the biggest ever result for the Labour party was 418 with tony blair... I mean... underperforming?

1 hour ago, fountain said:

Β Overall, this is a win for certain.Β 
Β 

spacer.png

oh for sure, muchΒ  better than the recent French, Dutch, EU elections and the upcoming DISASTER in the US

• Like 1

Yeah it's a victory but not the 15 weeks at #1 chart smasha we all wantedΒ 

Β 

It's fine tho but we need to watch Reform and its cretins over the next few years. I want to see Green rise further but allowing for smaller parties is a blessing and a curse with these right wing groups popping up

• Like 5

Β 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We need the media to stop talking about Farage and Reform now. Just ignore their upcoming antics (in which there will be many) for the next 5 years and stop giving them free promo and incentivising these cis straight men to vote for them.

08a04696d32c9783453c8c27e8cd56f636d81457

• Like 2

With any hope Reform won't even make it to the next GE as they'll expose their incompetence naturally in the next 5 years, but I don't even see it taking that long.

• Like 2

I feel nothing truly. I just hope that Labour does enough radical change in the next 5 years or Nigel will somehow become prime minister after defecting to the Tories.Β :rip:

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.