The White Lotus | HBO | Season 3: Thailand

Universo

I was so invested in S1, I cared about every character. Totally the opposite this season. The storylines felt clunky, there was no social commentary, little humor - basically everything that made S1 magical was missing.

Harper started out as the most interesting character, but boy did they ruin her character arc :skull: this show isn’t about happy endings, so they should’ve had Harper and Ethan separate while Daphne and Cameron stayed together, happy in their dysfunction. 

Tanya’s storyline was awful, too, but the payoff was amazing. Those yacht scenes were amazing. I think they wanted Portia to be like Danni from Not Okay, but it just didn’t land. She was not only awful, but there was nothing interesting about her awfulness, save for the fact that she didn’t give a **** about Tanya dying :bibliahh:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Liafen

• FunCoric

• Lovett

• Contessa

18 minutes ago, davorincek said:

Whew this was great, an amazing season. For some reason I really liked Valentina, the "Peppa pig" line killed me lol. I also enjoyed Harper, she probbably didnt really **** that Theo James guy... But Ethan ****** that wife... for sure. So its a mess. Harper wanted to show him the taste of his own medicine.

The hookers got the last laugh, but also I think its funny how this is change for that family... Its nothing in terms of money, and its not even a big deal to them, and they get to mess up and get swindeled but still be like "oh yeah just another monday"

Valentina’s Peppa Pig line was improvised which makes it even better

Anyway, just finished ep.7. I think S1 left me more satisfied, still not sure about this finale 

52 minutes ago, Lazerbeamz said:

100%
Harper is so insufferable, I can’t imagine what the “yaas queen!” Gays who stanned her this season are like :skull: 

Idk if that’s who Aubrey Plaza is as a person irl or if she goes out of her way to play these quirky, annoying, insufferable roles, but imagine going on vacation with that kind of person :skull:  Always peeving at everything, pointing out the most minuscule details and picking apart every element (especially on vacation). No wonder Ethan didn’t want to **** her :toofunny3: 

Queen Daphne reigns supreme, although I feel bad of the marriage she’s in. At least she’s made her own rules to live life by and defines her own happiness.

1 hour ago, Kylizzle said:

I agree that Harper is transformed into Daphne and Ethan into Cameron. However I'd give Harper more credit considering her job seems to line up with her values (employment law). Plus I think her judgement of Daphne is exactly what Daphne wanted her to think. Once Daphne trusted her she was willing to open up about the realities of her marriage. 

I mean, one clever moment that defines what kind of people they are all regardless of what they say in front and behind each other is when the pianist collapsed in the restaurant after taking those drugs. 

You would expect people like Harper and Ethan to go and check if he's okay since they think they're better and more socially conscious, but just like Cameron and Daphne, they just stood there and watch him, let's say, almost die. They literally ordered a table and didn't give a single f+ck. 

So yeah, they're all quite the same. 

Edited by Blade Runner

9 minutes ago, PowerGarlic said:

I didn’t know that this Mike White was the same Mike White from survivor and I disliked him on his season :deadvision:

:dies:

Daphne supporters are insane to me. Are most people that sad on the inside? :deadbanana2: Are most people in relationships like hers? 

The improvement from the shitshow, lame, try-hard, pretentious ass mess that was S1 is astonishing. The finale felt like a comedy thriller. They did left some things up in the air and felt rushed, but overall it was infinitely better.

Disappointed though with Jennifer Coolidge's Tanya fate. She was the star of the show, no other character (sans Valentina) could carry another season and I really wanted to see her shenanigans become a staple each season. Left me shocked cause I didn't really thought they would get rid of her.

Edited by D/X

9 minutes ago, chris1991 said:

Daphne supporters are insane to me. Are most people that sad on the inside? :deadbanana2: Are most people in relationships like hers? 

Nobody’s stanning Daphne because of her relationship. It’s because how she chooses to handle it, which is now a major part of her life considering she’s married and has kids. She’s basically come to terms with the fact that her husband cheats, and instead of doing what most women would do — either weep, or get divorced and have to deal with the potential of finding love while raising 2 kids, without ever really having a guarantee that a loyal man deserving of her exists/comes along — she makes her own rules for her life and decided to keep Cam as this secondary source of fun (like this vacation) and financing of her life, while still finding joy elsewhere.

But enjoy stanning Harper and her sexless life though :toofunny3: 

1 minute ago, D/X said:

The improvement from the shitshow, lame, try-hard, pretentious ass mess that was S1 is astonishing. The finale felt like a comedy thriller. They did left some things up in the air and felt rushed, but overall it was infinitely better.

Disappointed though with Jennifer Coolidge's Tanya fate. She was the star of the show, no other character (sans Valentina) could carry another season and I really wanted to see her shenanigans become a staple each season. Left me shocked cause I didn't really thought they would kill her.

Agreed but her story is so niche it would have felt played out if they dragged her character for 3+ seasons. Truth be told, she only really brought the comedy in this thriller-comedy series (until the last couple episodes when the story started unveiling). I’m not saying Coolidge or her character weren’t amazing, cause they were. But they can easily come up with a new funny character to allow for a bigger pivot in storyline/hotel location

10 minutes ago, chris1991 said:

I don't see Daphne as sad. At all. She has figured out what works for her in order to be happy. She picks the battles that matter and ignores the ones that don't. As opposed to Harper, who is a prisoner of her own simpleton black-and-white worldview. She sees herself as morally superior to those around her, and has a pathological need to obsess over everyone else's character flaws and failings. No, we can't enjoy our vacation, because that other couple is fake and they don't even vote!  Of course, it's all a desperate attempt to mask the truth that she's just as self-centered and privileged as everyone else.

3 hours ago, Sombre said:

Exactly who would she seek revenge on? Her mom for raising such a dumb *****? :chick2:

she knows what happened in that boat even if she wasn't there. She has sensitive information and she knows that piece of sh*t doesn't deserve her money.

Anyone think Harper lied about kissing Cameron so that her husband would finally have sex with her? That's the vibe I got.

2 hours ago, Ampersand13 said:

You cannot be serious :rip:

The woman who from the moment they arrived decided she was going to be miserable and hate everything on the trip?

- Her job was literally made fun of TO HER FACE on the first day, she had every right to be upset. Imagine if you worked your ass off to get through law school and some douchebag relegated your career to being insignificant 

The one who despises Daphne and Cameron for being rich and selfish, while enjoying an equally luxurious lifestyle with her husband's money?

- She doesn't despise them. Cameron literally belittled her the moment he met her. She merely felt like they were putting on an act and guess what? She was right. Also, she clearly has her own money, might not be as much as her husband but she's literally a lawyer like :toofunny2: You assuming she's only living this lifestyle because of her husband is not founded in the source material of the show and inherently sexist 

The one who shamed her husband about jerking off?

- She never shamed him for this. She went out of her way to make herself more appealing to her husband despite feeling neglected.

The one who tortured her husband for half their vacation over imaginary cheating, then actually cheated with his friend then gaslight him about it?

- She was petty but did not torture her husband. Her husband literally lied to her multiple times and neglected her sexual needs on multiple occasions. Also, she only kissed Cameron, it's pretty clear that Ethan and Daphne did more. And the only reason Harper did any of that in the first place is because she was lied to :rip:

Did we not watch the same show because your analysis is truly something else. 

It's not about what happened to her, it's how she chose to deal with it. If someone makes a dismissive comment about your job, it's an opportunity to correct them rather than be wounded about it for days and let it ruin your vacation. When your worldview is always seeking out the negative in every situation, you're guaranteed to live life as a victim.

Edited by PoisonPill

2 minutes ago, wesleywalrus said:

Anyone think Harper lied about kissing Cameron so that her husband would finally have sex with her? That's the vibe I got.

I don’t think so. She was convinced that Ethan cheated on her and what better way of getting back at him then to sleep w his best friend. It was so obvious given the door was latched and the door to the connecting room was open

PLEASE :ahh:

Tanya kinda has to return somehow because the memes I’ve seen today have left me in tears.

1 hour ago, Dula Peep said:

Will Sharpe is part Japanese, him and Harper could return for S3 set in Japan after a death of a family member? 

That means more Ethan :biggrin: 

thats why hes so hot omg

Tanya's death was more unexpected than Drew Barrymore in Scream. Please...Jennifer Coolidge is such a legend. 

2 hours ago, chris1991 said:

In true Tanya fashion….what if we find out that Greg wasn’t trying to kill her :deadbanana2:…just get her caught in a compromising position so he gets some of the money?

I mean the guy was about to take her out on a little boat with rope and zip ties and a gun, so I think she was right to assume they were about to make her sleep with the fishes :dies:

The thump sound effect when Tanya fell on the boat DEADDD:bibliahh:

I need at least 8 more seasons thank u and it would be nice if they actually aired the show in the summer.

some of yall are doing WAY too much on season 1

2 hours ago, Kylizzle said:

Some of y'all are serving misogyny "Harper just needs to smile more and put up with being belittled! Her poor husband had no choice but to do molly with prostitutes!" 

Right like I'm continually surprised by the takes of people in this thread :deadbanana4:

All this negativity aimed at the woman in the show while the men behaved the way they did. I just...

35 minutes ago, PowerGarlic said:

I actually prefer first season because it had important messages They need to bring back that energy next season 

I agree, they touched on class and race ever so slightly but I was expecting more.

If people like the characters of a show it doesn't mean that they relate to them on a personal level wtf is going on in this thread :deadbanana4:

at first, i felt like the conspiracy to kill tanya plot felt a bit off for a grounded show like this that's so much about mundane human behavior and relationships. but i loved it. i liked the first season but this was surprisingly better and a lot deeper. 

I don’t really get the Portia hate tbh. Sure, she’s incredibly naive but what did she actually do WRONG? I don’t think it’s her fault that she wasn’t entirely interested in Albie nor do I think it’s her fault that Jack intentionally fooled her

And honestly, I liked the full circle moment where Albie and Portia realized they overlooked the natural (albeit.. boring?) connection they had in order to chase something more interesting/dangerous/disingenuous.

And not only is it sad how Tanya died, but I think I’m most sad that Portia wasn’t able to “save” her

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.