Hogwarts Legacy (2023) | PS4/Xbox One versions out!

thatsmydemi

Started now 

I have no connection to Harry Potter so will have a honest reaction 

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• Magickarp

• thatsmydemi

• Attitude

13 minutes ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

Started now 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

Started now 

Lol do tell us more and elaborate please.

12 minutes ago, Bad_vocal_technique said:

Lol do tell us more and elaborate please.

I love magic rpgs and this is done well so far (especially since a lot of my fave games are using magic as a afterthought now aka fans final fantasy) 

I kind of stan lol 

Just finished the main story. Skipped almost every single side quest, tho. :eli:

I'll go back at some point, but I gotta do something about my ever-growing backlog first.

The castle is absolutely amazing and the fact that you can enter every single room, with no invisible "door-walls", is super immersive. Hogwarts itself is what makes the game, imo. Mindlessly walking (or flying) around the castle and exploring the world was the best part of it for me. Playing Animal Crossing/The Sims with the Room of Requirement looks like fun, too. :dies:

On another note, NPCs are quite lifeless and hollow. Combat is fun at first, but can get a little repetitive after a few hours. Enemy variety is low. The main story was ok, didn't really hook me (Sebastian's was better).

Overall, it was enjoyable and I give it a 7.5/10 for now. :giraffe:

Edited by NicoleAMatty

Just got Avada Kedavra... the choice to learn it was so black & white :mazen: Like ***** i want to learn it but i didn't wanna say that :mazen:

Dark Arts quest story spoilers

Not my baby boy becoming a psycho *****. Volo teas. I was so disturbed, but then he got so excited to teach me Avada i was like aww you're so cute when you're like that... judging myself tbh :mazen: Ominis might be the true best boy.

I was joking when i called Seb white rage, but he literally has school shooter teas :mazen:

9 hours ago, Magickarp said:

Happy for u girl :jonny5: i thought u couldn't play it till u were home for the break, & was like why is she buying it rn :toofunny3: u better STAN Sebby :jonny5: i'm so jealous of your hufflepuff exclusive quest :jonny5:

Technically, that's still true because I don't want to I take the console with me where I'm temporarily living (I wouldn't have time to play it either), but I couldn't wait till the break. :rip:

and from now till June, I will have 4 days weekends, so I can always come back home and play anyway. :gaycat1:

Edited by thatsmydemi

On 2/7/2023 at 10:47 AM, NicoleAMatty said:

PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

Quality: 1800p/30
Performance: 1440p/60
Balanced: 1800p/40
Ray-Tracing 1440p/30
Performance HFR: 1080p/~80

Xbox Series S

Quality: 1188p/30
Performance: 900p/60
Balanced: 1080p/40

Well, performance mode it is. :-*

Honestly okay Fidelity. Performance mode looks worse than most PS4 games I swear it’s just the game on the PC Low Settings. 

On 2/7/2023 at 6:20 PM, Gladiator said:

I'm installing boot camp on my old laptop so I have a chance to play this game. I don't have a console but it looks absolutely incredible from what I have seen from people playing it so far. I want to play it so badly.

It runs great on Bootcamp thankfully. Some games refuse to save for some reason if you’re running on Bootcamp so I’m glad this isn’t one of them. 

On 2/7/2023 at 11:04 PM, Starshine said:

I think this game started off underwhelming, I wasn’t feeling the characters, story, graphics + weird bugs. I think it was early on in production bc the graphics looked straight out of the PS4 era and I’m so used to the Sony polish for single player games. :rip: 

And then I got to the school and I could see they put so much time and energy into it. Every nook, cranny, asscrack… it’s honestly overwhelming and immersive. So much to do and explore. :jonnycat: I’m on my way to Hogsmeade. Also the combat is very nice.

the lighting in the opening section is really odd. There’s some kind of blur effect put on it that makes the game look terrible and then you arrive at Hogwarts and the game looks great. Odd design choice imo. 

On 2/8/2023 at 12:58 AM, Tiziano's Boy said:

Who did you all choose to go with you into Hogsmeade? I chose Sebastian Sallow.

I believe always choosing Sebastian is the way to go, he apparently had the best side story. 

Ugh I just finished the first Tomb in the Forbidden Forest where that guy was beheaded and it literally felt like a quest from the old school PC/PS1 Harry Potter games :jonny: 

Also they *definitely* used the castle layout from the Harry Potter 5&6 games as a starting point. Some of the areas in the castle that we only saw on those games are almost like for like in this game :coffee:  

The only area that kind of feels like a downgrade though is the grand staircase. Even in the books they said the staircase “likes to change” but in this game they just build themselves as you walk up which is kind of boring. 

18 hours ago, NicoleAMatty said:

Just finished the main story. Skipped almost every single side quest, tho. :eli:

I'll go back at some point, but I gotta do something about my ever-growing backlog first.

The castle is absolutely amazing and the fact that you can enter every single room, with no invisible "door-walls", is super immersive. Hogwarts itself is what makes the game, imo. Mindless walking (or flying) around the castle and exploring the world was the best part of it for me. Playing Animal Crossing/The Sims with the Room of Requirement looks like fun, too. :dies:

On another note, NPCs are quite lifeless and hollow. Combat is fun at first, but can get a little repetitive after a few hours. Enemy variety is low. The main story was ok, didn't really hook me (Sebastian's was better).

Overall, it was enjoyable and I give it a 7.5/10 for now. :giraffe:

Just on the “all doors open” part, what I did find as a result is some hallways that suddenly or offshoots that lead absolutely nowhere - where normally a fake door would probably go. It’s nice to not be teased by a door but it does make some areas a bit odd in the floor plan I guess 😅

I finished the main quests. I'll get to the side quests eventually, just feeling some burnout. :gaynetcat4: Overall I give this game an 8. Atmosphere, great. Music, phenomenal. Environmental graphics, amazing. Character animations, PS4. Sebastian and Slytherin, slay! Story and dialogue, Ubisoft. I understand it must be hard making a story based on this world and trying to make it believable/seem canon, but the midgets being the enemy- not once did I find Rancock threatening. He was just corny as hell like lemme step on you.:rip: I need a Voldemort type villain. :gaygacat5:

Also I flew that Hippogriff once and put that big ***** back in my tote bag for the rest of the game. The broom is just superior and the controls are easier, she's just redundant and feels slow.

Probably will finish all the SQ & MQ by today or tmr. I feel like the game was designed around u doing the SQs, cuz i've been doing them before progressing the MQ, & feel more connected to the world. I don't feel burnt out yet, & i got bored of Horizon Zero Dawn before the proving :rip: 

I will say i don't really do the Merlin Trials, or explore that much anymore. There really isn't much incentive once u have good Gear & Money. While i'm still loving the combat, I don't actively seek out enemies for it. The rewards aren't worth anything :rip: Has anyone one actually used a Troll Bogey? or frankly majority of the enemy drops :rip:

Late game story spoiler

Vitor Rookwood's death was kinda underwhelming af :rip: the way he just disappeared with no body left too :rip:

Anyway glad John didn't review this. His meltdown on Twitter was nasty. Rich is superior anyways.

I’ve seen some rumours on Twitter that the Switch version’s map stops at the Coastal Cavern which is is why you can’t access the second half of the map via broom unless you walk through the Cavern. 

I haven’t got super far into the game (I just finished the flying lesson) but does that mean the second half of the map doesn’t really do much for the story or mission and is basically just extra? I’m assuming if the Switch version not having it is true, nothing of key of note is there except some extra gameplay? 

Without spoilers, is there anyone who’s gotten far enough to know that it is true?

Finally finished it :jonny5: Spoiler free review:

I didn't do ALL the SQs, but i assume 95% of them. I'm too lazy to look through the map for more. Idg the criticisms of the story. It's not that bad & certainly miles better than BOTW :toofunny3: 

Sebastian's SQ ate the main story up, and Poppy & Natty had a cute plot line too. Definitely recommend doing those 3 Companion SQs if u only wanna do some SQs. The characters are definitely the 2nd best part of the game, just behind the amazing world

My main negative is that there's almost no incentive to explore once u get to the mid-late game. I barely explored the area beyond the Coastal Cavern apart from the parts my MQ & SQ's took me to. It's probably where all my unfinished SQs are :toofunny3: i'm too lazy to look for them & get rewarded with things i don't need. 

World: BOTW

Gameplay: Both have pros & cons, but they're about equal

Characters: HL

Story: HL

Comat: HL

BOTW's best, outdoes HL's best; but everything else HL kinda ate.

"No we weren't being harassed or bullied! I cry ALL the time" :clown: abused wife defending her husband teas.

She got harassed by a very specific set of people, proceeds to argue "both sides" :toofunny3: then defends the people attacking her for being misrepresented, then makes a snark comment about how HL is ackchyually "aggressively mediocre:toofunny3: & says she will not review it. She also said Goblins are offensive to Jews like herself, & she's also a victim of JK :toofunny2:

Capitulating to the bullying, & giving the bullies what they wanted, is one thing. But to then attack the people that supported u, so the bullies will accept u back into their club? Yikes :bird: Feeding the alligator just means it eats you last.

5 hours ago, Magickarp said:

Finally finished it :jonny5: Spoiler free review:

I didn't do ALL the SQs, but i assume 95% of them. I'm too lazy to look through the map for more. Idg the criticisms of the story. It's not that bad & certainly miles better than BOTW :toofunny3: 

Sebastian's SQ ate the main story up, and Poppy & Natty had a cute plot line too. Definitely recommend doing those 3 Companion SQs if u only wanna do some SQs. The characters are definitely the 2nd best part of the game, just behind the amazing world

My main negative is that there's almost no incentive to explore once u get to the mid-late game. I barely explored the area beyond the Coastal Cavern apart from the parts my MQ & SQ's took me to. It's probably where all my unfinished SQs are :toofunny3: i'm too lazy to look for them & get rewarded with things i don't need. 

World: BOTW

Gameplay: Both have pros & cons, but they're about equal

Characters: HL

Story: HL

Comat: HL

BOTW's best, outdoes HL's best; but everything else HL kinda ate.

I think this might have answered my question below. So basically the entire south part of the map is basically a small amount of quests and side quests but otherwise just visual candy? 

5 hours ago, gloamingtheplain said:

I’ve seen some rumours on Twitter that the Switch version’s map stops at the Coastal Cavern which is is why you can’t access the second half of the map via broom unless you walk through the Cavern. 

I haven’t got super far into the game (I just finished the flying lesson) but does that mean the second half of the map doesn’t really do much for the story or mission and is basically just extra? I’m assuming if the Switch version not having it is true, nothing of key of note is there except some extra gameplay? 

Without spoilers, is there anyone who’s gotten far enough to know that it is true?

8 minutes ago, gloamingtheplain said:

I think this might have answered my question below. So basically the entire south part of the map is basically a small amount of quests and side quests but otherwise just visual candy? 

I didn't explore the area much so i didn't know if i should answer :'( but there's quite a bit of main quests, & companion side quests that happen in that region. No idea how they would relocate them on the Switch, if that rumor is true. Unless they create multiple teleport points to a cordoned off section of those parts of the map. 

There's also like a multi layered treasure hunt side quest that goes on in that region + your 3rd Broom upgrade.

1 hour ago, Magickarp said:

I didn't explore the area much so i didn't know if i should answer :'( but there's quite a bit of main quests, & companion side quests that happen in that region. No idea how they would relocate them on the Switch, if that rumor is true. Unless they create multiple teleport points to a cordoned off section of those parts of the map. 

There's also like a multi layered treasure hunt side quest that goes on in that region + your 3rd Broom upgrade.

Ah okay so maybe someone’s just making an assumption based on the size of the world and what the switch can handle maybe. Thanks :) 

So many chars end up dead in these mini quests! , I mean I like that it's mature and not all happy endings but damn

Edited by KasioKas

Not y’all comparing this Ubisoft game with a HP filter to BOTW. :deadbanana4: I finished the game and she’s a cute 7.5. If they do a sequel, they need to step it up in practically every department because they can no longer rely on novelty and sell it as a big open world HP sandbox. The latter was its main selling point because they kind of served ‘passable’ in terms of gameplay, liveliness, interactivity, graphics and narrative.

Edited by touchofmyhand

The playable character is such an enabler when it comes to Sebastian. :deadbanana4:

Also I was expecting

Ominis to die instead of the uncle.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.