Soccer/Football Thread ⚽

JGibson

The youngest ever PL debutant came on in today's 3-0 Arsenal win against Brentford, and his name is Ethan Nwaneri, a 15 year-old. He came on for Fábio Vieira, who scored the Gunners' 3rd goal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JGibson

• Bloodflowers.

• Green

• Narima

Top Posters In This Topic

Brazil takes the #1 men's rankings spot in the last rankings prior to the World Cup. 

Erling Haaland is smashing goals left and right for Manchester City. 

Borussia Dortmund tied Bayern Munich 2-2 in Der Klassiker today. 

He is so awesome and is such a nice person! Hope to see more of him in the media as we get closer to the World Cup :clap3:

Liverpool handed Manchester City their first loss, as Mo Salah scored the winner to give the Reds a 1-nil win and extend Arsenal's lead on the 1st spot to 4 points. 

The 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup group stage is set:

• 2 weeks later...

Manchester City finding a way to win, despite going down to 10 men for the majority of the match, as they beat Fulham 2-1 on a stoppage time penalty from Erling Haaland. 

They are temporarily in 1st place, pending the Arsenal-Chelsea result this morning. 

UCL Round of 16:

UEL Knockout Round Playoffs:

UECL Knockout Round Playoffs:

2 more weeks until World Cup, I am so excited :WAP:

King USA better qualify into the second round or else :biblionny:

Arsenal will head into the World Cup and Christmas Day top of the Premier League table, thanks to Brentford's stunning 2-1 over Manchester City. 

@andresg770 which countries are you cheering for World Cup? Will you wear country flags as your avi next week?

12 hours ago, Bloodflowers. said:

@andresg770 which countries are you cheering for World Cup? Will you wear country flags as your avi next week?

Since my country isn't in the WC (as per usual), then I have to go by the usual order of preference my uncles and cousins always had:  First it's fellow South American countries (except Chile but that's not a problem because they didn't qualify either hihi).  Then it's the other Latin countries from the Americas.  Then it's Spain because "la madre patria" or whatever.  And then it's the US (because why not) or Portugal and whatever other countries are winning a lot.

In my case, though, I usually replace this last step with "countries with hot players" -- so I'll be rooting for Australia, as I've already forgiven them for beating us on the play-off game.

It's crazy how little I care about this sport until the WC happens.  Then I actually bother to watch games.  The power of a truly GLOBAL event, I fear :alexz: 

World Cup is HEREEEEEEEE

oprah-walk-through-fire.gif

Cristiano Ronaldo's 2nd stint with Manchester United ends, as he mutually agreed to terminate his contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Praying for Pelé. Get well soon. 

US Soccer journalist Grant Wahl, who is covering the World Cup in Qatar, died while covering the Netherlands v. Argentina quarterfinal game that went to penalties in which the Argentines won.

Boston Globe:

Soccer journalist Grant Wahl collapsed and died while at Friday’s World Cup quarterfinal between Argentina and Netherlands in Qatar.

Wahl’s brother Eric, posting on Instagram, wrote that Grant Wahl was given CPR and taken by Uber to a hospital, where he died, according to his wife, infectious disease expert Dr. Celine Gounder. Wahl, a renowned soccer writer for Sports Illustrated for more than two decades, had gone to the World Cup to work both for CBS and his own subscription newsletter.

[...]

He made headlines early in the tournament by trying to enter a Cup venue in a rainbow T-shirt, “in support of LGBTQ rights in a country where same-sex relationships are illegal.” Wahl reported he had his phone taken from him during a long confrontation at the stadium media entrance, though he was eventually allowed to enter without changing the shirt.

• 2 weeks later...

The FIFA World Cup is over. Now, back to domestic football affairs. 

Messi is a FRAUD

@Spice since World Cup is expanding in 2026, can we expect Albania to finally join and tug her neighbors wig a biT.? :fan:

God, Guns, and Goals

World Cup 2026 will be the best

Drupal-NEWS_How-gun-violence-sparked-a-health-systems-brand-purpose.jpg

On 12/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, Bloodflowers. said:

Messi is a FRAUD

Not you seething in multiple threads :oh:

4 minutes ago, lillavend3r said:

Not you seething in multiple threads :oh:

Messi will NEVER be as famous as Maradona, no matter how many FIFA payola he gets :sorry:

55 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Messi will NEVER be as famous as Maradona, no matter how many FIFA payola he gets :sorry:

Both winners unlike Croatia :sorry:

Edited by lillavend3r

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.