The Sims | Lovestruck Expansion

Unoriginal

I feel LBY and this new inZOI games don't know their audience.

The average sims 4 player these days (based on my observations) values aesthetics over gameplay, prefers soft muted colors and bright pastels, middle class suburbs, and most importantly: play on laptops that can only run this game on low or medium graphics at best.

Non-sims fans won't play these because they have GTA Online roleplay servers which are 18+. The average gamer doesn't give a **** about decorating interiors, stylizing characters in modern fashion, or growing wholesome families. Second Life fans won't switch cause they love the online environment. Sims 4 stans will either stick with it, move to Sims 5, or look towards Paralives. Sims 2 stans are in a "till death do us apart" situation. Sims 1 stans are in the nursing home. That leaves them with Sims 3 stans, many of which will not switch.

The fact that no triple A studio even tried to make a proper sims competitor (and in particular R* flat out said it would be too complicated for them) further proves The Sims is a unique situation where it's too risky to compete with. 

Edited by Hey Dude

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• poki

• Apolonio ₃₄

• noonbob

• RihannaLoverrr

5 hours ago, BigBangStan said:

This looks like what LBY is trying to be

Yeah, they’re giving similar vibes! I hope they add more like humour/soul to it though. 

ZOI looks like you need a top PC to play and then it will still lag a bit :skull: 

Do y'all think Sims 5 will go back to open world? I hope they will, Sims 4 always feels like I'm trapped in one place and I always get bored quickly. Weirdly I played Sims 2 for years and never had that issue, even though it took minutes to go to another lot. 

Edited by rzal

On 11/12/2023 at 5:16 AM, Hey Dude said:

I play on normal but I have a few personal adjustments for when I let sims age:

Newborn - 1 day as it if

Infant - 2 days

Toddler - 3 days

Child - 7 days

Teen - 7 days

Young Adult - 20 days

Adult - 20 days

This way every day = 1 year and my sims become elders when they are 60 :smile:

This also gives my young adults pretty much no rush to have kids, cause Newborn to YA is 20 days in my method, which equals how many days I keep them as adults. 

At first it seems like their life goes super fast but I rotate between multiple families for 1 sim week each, and then the pace works good for me. 

Get Together is so insanely good :wanda:

I'm about to turn the island into medieval villages and then when the castles DLC comes out early next year, will add a proper castle as well. 

Ugh it does seem short... like I had a sim going to University and if I do it in 3 semsters it is extremely hard because no free time etc..and after graduating they are almost adult already which is bit of a rush IMHO, like enjoy your youth find the love of your life without rushing..

I would say young adult is like the years of 18 years old to 35 maybe so most people get children in their early 30s so at the end of young adult lifestate, then adult from 35 to 65.

Without Uni lasting at least 3 weeks which is 21 days, I would think that I would want another 2-3 weeks afterwards also if I plan to not rush uni and do it in like 4-5 Semesters

Imho I would want it as follow:

Baby = 1 day

Infant = 3 days

Toddler = 7 days

Kids = 10 days  (4-5 years irl)

Teens = 21 days (6 years)

Young adults = 42 days (17 years irl)

Adults = 65 days (approx. 30 years irl)

Edited by DemnisBreezy

2 hours ago, rzal said:

ZOI looks like you need a top PC to play and then it will still lag a bit :skull: 

Do y'all think Sims 5 will go back to open world? I hope they will, Sims 4 always feels like I'm trapped in one place and I always get bored quickly. Weirdly I played Sims 2 for years and never had that issue, even though it took minutes to go to another lot. 

I think meeting in the middle for TS5 would be best. Like a semi-open world, I’d be content with. Kinda like how they have the TS4 now but I wouldn’t have to endure a loading screen to visit my neighbour.

But if I wanted to travel to another ‘neighbourhood’ section or like the area in willow creek with all the community lots - a loading screen to get there but once you’re there that entire area is open and you can enter any of the lots without a loading screen. 

I think that would be the best way to do it because while I love TS3 a lot of the public areas were empty. With semi open world the game could like load sims to visit where you are like TS4 does. 

This looks really cool

They are so lucky :deadbanana2:

Edited by Sailor Moon

Aside from paralives (might be even better), this seems like the biggest competition for The Sims 4, all of the features are really solid (CAS, Build mode, gameplay). The only thing I'm scared about is the performance of this game, just looking at it feels like my computer will explode.

I'm rooting for this game, and hope this will wake up EA to make a better version of The Sims.

6 hours ago, DemnisBreezy said:

like I had a sim going to University and if I do it in 3 semsters it is extremely hard because no free time etc..and after graduating they are almost adult already which is bit of a rush IMHO, like enjoy your youth find the love of your life without rushing..

I always turn aging off when I send my sims to university for this exact reason :-*

7 hours ago, DemnisBreezy said:

Ugh it does seem short... like I had a sim going to University and if I do it in 3 semsters it is extremely hard because no free time etc..and after graduating they are almost adult already which is bit of a rush IMHO, like enjoy your youth find the love of your life without rushing..

I would say young adult is like the years of 18 years old to 35 maybe so most people get children in their early 30s so at the end of young adult lifestate, then adult from 35 to 65.

Without Uni lasting at least 3 weeks which is 21 days, I would think that I would want another 2-3 weeks afterwards also if I plan to not rush uni and do it in like 4-5 Semesters

Imho I would want it as follow:

Baby = 1 day

Infant = 3 days

Toddler = 7 days

Kids = 10 days  (4-5 years irl)

Teens = 21 days (6 years)

Young adults = 42 days (17 years irl)

Adults = 65 days (approx. 30 years irl)

For University I recreate Sims 2's method: I let my sims join 1 class per week and I keep them in uni for just a week. I put all my sims for who a diploma would make sense together in one house not marked as a dorm (cause I like to let them properly cook) and use that week to experience the social dynamics and potential romance, with the college class as a little busy work on the side :smile:

Then I cheat to give them a diploma. 

If I keep a sim for an additional week there, I treat it as a Doctorate and put them in a super fancy build owned by a retired professor. Then I let them be at level 9 of a career. 

Oh and I don't let them live in the same world of where their class buildings are. They waste too much time walking to the physical classrooms.

I love everything about Discover University expect the actual college courses lol. I love building libraries, common halls, frat houses. 

On 11/12/2023 at 5:06 PM, RihannaLoverrr said:

This looks like it could be promising. Loving the increase of sims type games

wowzers, where did this come from? ig some people talk and some people do the damn thing... exciting, no doubt Sims on PC is dead and EA will seal the coffin when they mainly focus on mobile income from Sims "5".

6 hours ago, Sailor Moon said:

This looks really cool

at least we know said developing company has the budget... exciting

5 hours ago, Sailor Moon said:

This looks really cool

These game devs are absolutely out of their mind if this is their way of saying that RTX 4070 and 64 GB of RAM is the recommended specs for a sims 4 competitor.

Cities Skylines 2 recommends an RTX 3080 and 16 GB of RAM.

Sims 4 still recommends RTX 2060 but the minimum Best Buy let's you buy for a gaming desktop is RTX 3060 and that's a minimum of $1,650 USD. Not cheap, no wonder the Playstation 5 port massively exceeded expectations. 

RTX 4070 is what I would expect Final Fantasy 16 or GTA 6 to recommend, massive triple A titles. Not a sims clone.

Most sims players are on low end machines. We know this because Maxis constantly talks about this when it comes to the lack of lots, low poly items, and default builds. So even an RTX 2060 is beyond the average sims player. 

It's way too early to know anything obv but wow I feel bad for Life By You... the way it's looking so bad for LBY if you play the 2 trailers side by side

1 minute ago, Hey Dude said:

Most sims players are on low end machines. We know this because Maxis constantly talks about this when it comes to the lack of lots, low poly items, and default builds. So even an RTX 2060 is beyond the average sims player. 

But don't you think people who have the budget or really want to, should be able to play it? rather than them sacrificing either game-play nor visuals? it pushes the whole genre forward it's great

3 minutes ago, HungryByTheBuffet said:

It's way too early to know anything obv but wow I feel bad for Life By You... the way it's looking so bad for LBY if you play the 2 trailers side by side

Yeah that one looks so rough, can't believe Rod Humble went from Sims 3 to that

Just now, HungryByTheBuffet said:

But don't you think people who have the budget or really want to, should be able to play it? rather than them sacrificing either game-play nor visuals? it pushes the whole genre forward it's great

Oh I do, sims 4 is the only game I know that still tries to cater so hard to ancient computers. My Playstation 5 doesn't break a sweat with this game which further proves this game can be so much more. 

Yeah I didn't mean to come across as not wanting them to try to push further :smile:

Just worried this is asking more than what the average sims player can offer in terms of hardware, which could lead to messy reactions upon launch when people buy it and go "game runs like trash". 

• Like 2

I love Sims 4 for the magic aspects, goofy facial expressions and Pixar-ish graphics. None of these competitors are even trying to win me over :'(

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hey Dude said:

I love Sims 4 for the magic aspects, goofy facial expressions and Pixar-ish graphics. None of these competitors are even trying to win me over :'(

Maybe Paralives? what do you think? I think this aesthetic will still live on and also offer more than Sims does hopefully :heart2:

10 hours ago, Stardom said:

I always turn aging off when I send my sims to university for this exact reason :-*

That's a great ideal actually!

I installed the MCC mod yesterday and adjusted the lemgth of each lifestate a bit, next time I am at Uni I might Pause aging for two weeks or so

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HungryByTheBuffet said:

Yeah.

Paradox must be shaking after the Life By You delay, the Cities Skylines II not working on most computers, and the competition around it.

How many weeks before release do the sims gurus typically do a livestream? I am enger for gameplay of for rent ep 

7 hours ago, Flocon said:

Yeah.

Paradox must be shaking after the Life By You delay, the Cities Skylines II not working on most computers, and the competition around it.

Honestly they deserve it for letting the guy who created Spore to lead this game. Not to mention his baby Sims 3 reused so many visuals and animations from Sims 2, yet cut away all the good gameplay... flop!:bam:

5 hours ago, DemnisBreezy said:

How many weeks before release do the sims gurus typically do a livestream? I am enger for gameplay of for rent ep 

I hope they do it before Thanksgiving because I want to know if there are key items we have to add to apartments before I start making builds. 

The water boiler terrifies me because what if my sims live off grid?

Edited by Hey Dude

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.