Argentina WIN | 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar ??

LookinAssHittas

2 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Yeah, I see, we in Croatia call it "nogomet" which means rougly "leg and target" but we call American version also football but we just add American word beforehand so it goes as "American football". I don't mind, I'm not triggered over words but I do find culture war over the name funny and amusing so I also engage in it sometimes just for s**ts and giggles

That is also wrong. The football being played in South/Central America is also technically American Football. :laugh:

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Green

• Bloodflowers.

• Cloudy

• Spice

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Sahn said:

It's deeper than just words. It's about this USA arrogance of always appropriating things like the word football or even the name of the whole continent to call themselves like that. :skull:

The entire world knows football is the FIFA one.

To be fair, the word soccer originated in England, at Oxford. :rip: And in Europe the word football was first used to describe many different games that involved feet and balls. In a world that wasn't as connected as today, it's really not offensive at all that different places had their language evolve to use different words for the same thing. 

Edited by Kamil24

1 minute ago, Sahn said:

That is also wrong. The football being played in South/Central America is also technically American Football. :laugh:

America as in the greatest country in the world, not America the continent

giphy.gif?cid=790b761155f331609d3307f30e

1 minute ago, Kamil24 said:

To be fair, the word soccer originated in England, at Oxford. :rip: And in Europe the word football was first used to describe many different games that involved feet and balls. In a world that wasn't as connected as today, it's really not offensive at all that different places had their language evolve to use different words for the same thing. 

Reminds me of culture wars over the word "burek" here in Ex-Yugoslavian countries, right @greeneyedsoul @Hurem?

33 minutes ago, Karma88 said:

So the gays keep winning. :eek:

Qatar: OUT

Iran: OUT

Ecuador: OUT

Gay marriage is legal in Ecuador don't be ignorant pls

2 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

America as in the greatest country in the world

There's no such country with that name. 

80850b348e95310e5495a247e6908633.jpeg?im

1 hour ago, Karma88 said:

So the gays keep winning. :eek:

Qatar: OUT

Iran: OUT

Ecuador: OUT

Not when Senegal is still in :redface:

1 hour ago, Eóghan said:

what a bunch of bs

by majority you mean Canada? :lmao:basically reductive USA

Canada, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand,  what other native English speaking countries are you thinking of? 

1 hour ago, Sahn said:

FIFA = International Federation of Association Football.

giphy.gif.e2da7c81eb9d97ae287ee5343a8407

That’s cute.  It’s like you are just learning now that the English language frequently has multiple words for the same thing. 

2 hours ago, Sahn said:

FIFA = International Federation of Association Football.

giphy.gif.e2da7c81eb9d97ae287ee5343a8407

FIFA = Fédération Internationale de Football Association

That's French, not English

2 hours ago, chris1991 said:

Iranian men are so beautiful, American men looked generic/basic af next to them lol

It’s the World Cup and not Miss Universe :bibliahh:

16 minutes ago, ZIVERT said:

FIFA = Fédération Internationale de Football Association

That's French, not English

Global

YlK9r1G.gif.5198303529663cd66cc0499055c1

Italians can call it calcio but Americans can’t call it soccer 

1 hour ago, byzantium said:

Canada, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand,  what other native English speaking countries are you thinking of? 

I live in Ireland and virtually nobody calls it 'soccer' :deadbanana:, yes there's different kinds of football here compared to the UK and it's confusing but despite institutions trying to make that word happen, it never did.

As for aussies and kiwis the real ones that actually play it or love it tend to call it Football. Especially among the younger demographics "soccer" is dead. European clubs are hugely popular among that demo in those countries and in the age of the Internet all the fans are in unison and don't want to be mocked just because old institutions are calling it something else.

1 hour ago, Mariah's Glove said:

Why does the football vs soccer thing trigger non-americans so bad

They're afraid Americans will wake up and dominate soccer like they do everything else. Intimidated by American excellence it appears

51 minutes ago, Eóghan said:

I live in Ireland and virtually nobody calls it 'soccer' :deadbanana:, yes there's different kinds of football here compared to the UK and it's confusing but despite institutions trying to make that word happen, it never did.

As for aussies and kiwis the real ones that actually play it or love it tend to call it Football. Especially among the younger demographics "soccer" is dead. European clubs are hugely popular among that demo in those countries and in the age of the Internet all the fans are in unison and don't want to be mocked just because old institutions are calling it something else.

Australians call it soccer, even the younger generation :rip: Footy/football is rugby. 

so now the Americans' will start to care!

7 hours ago, Sahn said:

This people passed. :rip: I can't. 

we get it, your country calls it "soccer" but don't try to impose the whole world to call it that way, when we all call it football, fútbol, fussball, futebol, voetbal, fodbold, etc.

why do Americans think their contry is the center of the universe? :biblio:

I'm so nervous for tomorrow. To think this could be Messi's last game with Argentina... :dancehall:

45 minutes ago, DoubleRainbow! said:

we get it, your country calls it "soccer" but don't try to impose the whole world to call it that way, when we all call it football, fútbol, fussball, futebol, voetbal, fodbold, etc.

why do Americans think their contry is the center of the universe? :biblio:

That's fake sis. But I do agree gringos think they're the center of everything. 

6 hours ago, tiejc said:

May his kawk heal by Saturday

Yikes, hope he can still function and have babies one day :dancehall: that can be a very dangerous injury

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.