Book Discussion

velocity

15 hours ago, Alex21kw said:

Has anyone read The Name of the Wind? I've been looking to buy some acclaimed fantasy books, and this one is part of a trilogy which makes it easier to commit (as opposed to a mammoth sized series like The Wheel of Time)

Phenomenal writing, but not much of a plot.  Very meandering.  Still definitely worth a read.

Be warned, book 2 came out in 2011 and book 3 is still not out yet...

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• fountain

• DanyelP23

• worldwide angel

The editor of the series even dragged him online and said she hadn't seen a single page and said it seemed like he gave up. She deleted the post to prevent being sued I assume but...

I'm 800 pages into The Way of Kings...

Ugh, Part 3 of this book is aptly titled Dying because that's how I feel considering the plot is not moving.:deadbanana4:

They got rid of the p.o.v. of the best main character so far (Dalinar) to bring back Shallan, which I was like... ok, it's a tradeoff I'm willing to have cuz' she was really interesting in part 1. Only to have 1 chapter of Shallan followed by 3 chapters of Kaladin, out of which one is already something that happened in the past with his family.:hoetenks:

Don't get me wrong, the writing is great but I feel like everything is moving too slow for my tastes (and by this I mean that I don't have time to read like 400 pages/day and finish the book in 3 days so I can get to the next one faster).

Luckily I'm like 60 pages away from Szeth's pov in the interlude to come and actually serve something to move the plot forward. I'm wondering who 

Spoiler

wants to order him to kill 6 of the High Princes:jonny5:

Lemme get back to reading. Maybe if I force myself I can finish everything by Sunday, or if not, I will likely complete it on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Just got my copy of Madonna: A Rebel Life and WOW straight off the bat I'm shook. The index is so detailed. This will be a blast. 

So I just got passed page 1100 of 'The Way of Kings':clownny: 150 more pages to go, and then I'm gonna start 'Words of Radiance'.

Around page 1070 we got the first kiss of the book:hoetenks: I kinda live how messy Navani is.

I'm a bit pressed cuz' I still don't understand all the lore, but I guess there are 3 more books where all that will be explored.

I like how the author takes time with his characters

Spoiler

but sometimes it feels like nothing is happening. Thank goodness for the interuldes.

• Like 1

Finished "The Way of Kings".

A very enjoyable book, first from Sanderson for me.

If I could described the feeling of this book, I would say that I was thoroughly & consistently gagged and engaged. I'm a nosy person so I loved the multiple pov because I got into everyone's business:clownny:.

As I previously said, the writing is extremely accessible, which meant the only hindrance I had was not having enough time in my schedule. I liked the slower repetitive pace because I got to sit with the pov characters and have them establish their views on the world quite solidly.

----

The way Part5 (last 100 pages) came in and snatched the wig with so many reveals and climax conclusions 

Spoiler

Shallan k1lling ha' own father being the biggest  of them to me:jonny6:

:jonny4::clap3:

Lemme get started onto "Words of Radiance" right quick!

• Like 1

I finished the Cut & Run series last month, and overall it's a serve.

Despite being a fairly equal blend of thriller and romance at first glance, this a series about the relationship between the two main characters first and foremost, all the other things are just backdrop for that; I wasn't really excepting that so it took a couple of books to realize that the thriller part won't be given as much focus. I didn't mind it at the end, I found Ty and Zane extremely interesting both together and separately, and this is one of the rare series where I feel relationship progressed naturally and realistically. They were very cute! :date2:

The first book or two are kind of rough around the edges (Esp the first, apparently there's a rewrite coming), but Book 3 and onwards were great, with Book 5 prob being my fave.

I finished Book Lovers by Emily Henry and it was alright. I would put it above People We Meet on Vacation, which bored me.

I still think Beach Read is her best one. Anyways, I just started The Guest List by Lucy Foley and I hope its good.

Words of Radiance is really that girl!:jonny6:

Just finished Part 2 (out of 5) and WHEW

The last 1-2-3 PUNCH of Kaladin & ShALLAH chapters starting with that highstorm!

Pattern kinda came for Syl's wig a biT! 

This is such a dignified masterpiece so far :clap3::clap3::clap3:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DanyelP23 said:

The last 1-2-3 PUNCH of Kaladin & ShALLAH chapters starting with that highstorm!

one of his 3 best, along with The Final Empire (it's worth reading the first Mistborn trilogy) and The Emperor's Soul (a tiny sized book compared to his epics).

On 10/26/2023 at 9:21 AM, Hey Dude said:

Sanderson seems to be love or hate in the fantasy communities lol. 

All I know is his fans are pretty hardcore and can be very annoying about him and his work lol

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm almost at the half mark of Words of Radiance.

The way ShALLAH's chapters from her past are 10 times more interesting than FADladin's from the previous book:jonny5:

On 9/10/2023 at 12:32 PM, flower moon said:

reading piranesi. no idea what or where this is going tbh :gaycat6:

still not finished it but i lost interest a bit once piranesi started to figure stuff out. maybe theres more to it that i havent gotten to yet but the mystery of it seems gone and with it my interest :chick2:

also reading: to the lighthouse, the penelopiad, and a little luck

• Thanks 1

Interlude 9 (Lift) almost coming to snatch the crown from Middlefest (Chapter 45) in Words of Radiance as the best chapter so far!:jonny5:

I think I have around 450 pages left of Words of Radiance but so far it's stomp after stomp with each new chapter! No wonder it's one of, if not thee highest rated book on Goodreads

2 hours ago, DanyelP23 said:

Interlude 9 (Lift) almost coming to snatch the crown from Middlefest (Chapter 45) in Words of Radiance as the best chapter so far!:jonny5:

I think I have around 450 pages left of Words of Radiance but so far it's stomp after stomp with each new chapter! No wonder it's one of, if not thee highest rated book on Goodreads

it appears to be the highest rated individual book with at least 10k ratings. 

words of radiance 4.76

light bringer 4.76 (released a few months ago, may go down)

warden and the wolf king 4.75 

it's a magical world 4.73 (watterson)

know my name 4.71

there's treasure everywhere 4.71 (watterson)

wintersteel 4.70 (wight)

heaven official blessing volume three 4.70

heaven official blessing volume two 4.69

jujutsu kaisen volume fourteen 4.69

reaper 4.69 (wight)

monster in the hollows 4.69

running grave 4.69

homicidal psycho 4.68 (watterson)

sin and surrender 4.68

demon slayer volume 23 4.68

demon slayer volume 18 4.68

demon slayer volume 8 4.67

some kind of perfect 4.67

reverse 4.67

manacled 4.67

pulled mostly from https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/153860.Goodreads_Top_100_Highest_Rated_Books_on_Goodreads_with_at_least_10_000_Ratings?page=1

Edited by fridayteenage

I've heard from multiple different sources in my life whether it was from online media or people talking about 'House of Leaves' and I finally went out and got it because it sounds right up my alley with the mind-bendery thriller premise. 

I heard its difficult to read, due to the nature of the book in-in of itself, but its worth the dedication. Let me hope so :chick2:

Read Young Mungo recently. A very cruel story. It is well-written, and I didn't mind looking up all those Scottish dialectisms, but the plot is full of misery. I wrote a more detailed review on my blog but the gist of if is that these stories should be told but I definitely wasn't the right audience for it and will need a bunch of happy books to wash it down. There was an interesting message about toxic masculinity and how being gay can potentially 'save' you from it, although I'd say that being in love (still, with a guy) did the heavy lifting.

I've been reading the Dune books for the last 2 years and it's definitely an... experience

Dune (the first book) was really great

Messiah started off boring but the ending was very poetic :clap3:

Children was a such a drag it took me a YEAR to finish it with multiple breaks and rereads because I kept forgetting wtf was going on :rip: The second half is much better but the first half was sooo hard to get through

God Emperor was AMAZING :jonny5: I absolutely loved it and I was so surprised to hear that it's apparently the most hated book of the saga!?? It's certainly my favorite one

Currently reading Heretics and I'm like a quarter in already. Seems quite interesting so far, but it's very different from previous books so I still need time to get used to it. I'll be posting my thoughts here as I keep reading.

Edited by Flomik

Finished Words of radTABSiance:clap3:

So I had like 150ish pages today left, and I KNEW I had to buy Oathbringer to have it near me (I'm cheap asf and I only buy one book at once and then buy the next after or almost when I finished the previous one, instead of getting all at once)

Imagine how snatched my wig was when 

Spoiler

Jasnah Kholin came from the dead in the Wit Epilogue. And then it fkin CLICKED! That woman on the cover of Oathbringer is her. I thought it was some other character, bcs even if Sanderson described time and time again that one common alethi feature was tan skin, I always envisioned them as kinda whyte:hoetenks: So I didn't think Queen Jasnah would pull an Ariana on the cover of the next book.

Anyways, Words of Radiance was really really good. It left me with more questions than answers. At some point I will probably need to re-read the last chapters, especially the battle ones, cuz I went trough them very fast.

Adolin kinda served stagnant by the end of the book when he wasn't given much to do other than fight in battles, but he did THAT 1 thing when 

Spoiler

he ended FADdeas by pushing a knife through his eye. Should have done that 600 pages before, but better late than never:swan:

• Like 1

I have finished today bret easton Ellis last novel, The shards.

Interesting even if way too long. I think the novel is a big metaphor of the "horror' Is to live a life as gay teenager didn't come out. 

I'm 240 pages into Oathbringer.

I feel like I burned myself out on Words of Radiance, which I had planned to read into 10-14 days (I read it in 7 days) so now I'm taking it slower, which is hard because the plot is also moving relatively slow so far:bird:

Spoiler

With that being said, I NEED JASNASHGEND to get a POV in this damn series. We're on book 3, she's literally on the cover of the book and it has been OVERDUE. If Eshonai, Navani and FADzeas can get POVs, so can she.

I also bought Yumi and the nightmare painter because the cover art of the book looked cute.

42119885o.jpg

I will pull my hair out if it's a flop and I don't enjoy it:clownny:

On 10/25/2023 at 8:35 PM, DanyelP23 said:

The Pattern stanning whew the taste :WAP:

4 hours ago, DanyelP23 said:

I'm 240 pages into Oathbringer.

I feel like I burned myself out on Words of Radiance, which I had planned to read into 10-14 days (I read it in 7 days) so now I'm taking it slower, which is hard because the plot is also moving relatively slow so far:bird:

Hide contents

With that being said, I NEED JASNASHGEND to get a POV in this damn series. We're on book 3, she's literally on the cover of the book and it has been OVERDUE. If Eshonai, Navani and FADzeas can get POVs, so can she.

she's even gonna be the focus character of a book...sometime. maybe late next decade?

Edited by fridayteenage

The Husky and His White Cat Shizun Vol 3 is sad af wtf :dancehall2:

Heaven's Official Blessing vol 2. is lowkey a snooze but vol. 3 is much better :gaycat5:

Edited by ChatshireCat

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.