Tennis | Let the Games begin

supaspaz

16 hours ago, supaspaz said:

No one plays tournaments anymore. Just want to coast on slams.

Then they can move these tournaments to early in the season (like they’re doing with San Diego). At least no one will notice if no one is playing tournaments in February. But there needs to be more high stakes tournaments, like Indian Wells or Rome/French Open at this time of the year. It’s embarrassing that people are missing tournaments this late in the season. That would never happen in any other sport.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sensation

• geddymonster

• pride4jc1222

• Gui Blackout

Djokovic played Davis Cup for Serbia this week, helping them earn a spot in the finals.

US with Tiafoe and Paul lost to Netherlands and Finland.

Novak also announced he will not be playing Shanghai.

On 9/13/2023 at 6:47 AM, geddymonster said:

Shocked that Simona got a longer ban than Maria, especially because she was insisting she had evidence that proved contamination. If it holds, she may as well retire because coming back at 35 after not playing professionally for 4 years would be a mess.

The ruling said that there was contamination, but also that the levels in her blood were so high that there must have been another source.

Plus the "very likely" blood doping over a lot of samples.

Its certainly confusing and messy. 

We will see with the appeal. I do kinda think Halep makes a compelling case. And blood doping cant really be proven 

Edited by simmnfierzig

50 years ago today, BJK defeated Riggs 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 in the Battle of the Sexes: 

There was some talk earlier in the week that Alcaraz might miss out on Beijing due to injuries picked up during the US hardcourts, but he will now play according to local press.

QueenofCopyPaste

Caroline Dolehide (#111) in the FINALS of a Masters W1000 in Guadalajara

:jonny5:

I don't know what the right solution is, but all I know is that the WTA needs to do better with the fall schedule. Whether that be bringing something like the Virginia Slims tournaments back in the day to fill in the fall schedule or just moving the WTA Finals up to 2 weeks after the US Open (in this case, end the season in September and start up again in late November/early December), anything is better than the god awful product that's been on display after the US Open.

The fall is a great time of year to watch tennis, and I would prefer to watch WTA tennis, but if they do nothing about this, I might just watch high school girls tennis matches instead.

Simona having other suspicious samples :rip:

she really was doping her entire career, smfh

I'm surprised that Flavia Pennetta hasn't been inducted to the Tennis Hall of Fame yet. In my opinion, Pennetta should have gotten in first ballot. She has the complete package in both singles (grand slam champion) and doubles (former #1 player), plus had considerable longevity. With this year not being a strong class of nominees, I'll be surprised if she doesn't get in this time. There are people with less credentials than Pennetta in the Tennis HOF.

Moya and Ivanovic are a cut below Pennetta, and I think fall short of the HOF. While they had similar singles credentials as Pennetta, they don't have the doubles resume or the consistency/longevity as Pennetta, and that hurts their case for the HOF.

Updated ATP entries as players try to qualify for the ATP finals

Shanghai Masters

Tokyo: Fritz, Ruud, Zverev, Tiafoe, de Minaur, Paul, Auger-Aliassime

Antwerp: Tsitsipas, Sinner, Dimitrov

Stockholm: Rune

Basel: Alcaraz, Rune, Fritz, Ruud, de Minaur

Vienna: Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Rublev, Zverev, Tiafoe, Paul

Paris Masters

Apparently Wim Fissette left Qinwen for Osaka after US Open lol. Not a surprise given his history of dumping players out of the blue, but this must have been a speed record even for him.

Also says a lot about Naomi, to poach another player's coach before the season even ends. She also stole Andreescu's longtime fitness coach in an underhanded way, just to go on pregnancy hiatus a couple of months later. Maybe this is why she has so much mental anguish - sweet and ruthless is a juggling act few can pull off.

• ATRL Moderator

The WTA giving up on its morals and going back to China without any concessions. Embarrasing!

7 hours ago, supaspaz said:

The WTA giving up on its morals and going back to China without any concessions. Embarrasing!

To be perfectly honest, I didn't really miss China or the Asia leg the last 3 years. If the WTA wants to play in between the US Open and the WTA Finals, they should do something similar to the Virginia Slims tournaments back in the day. Graf, Seles, Capriati, Sabatini, etc. played some memorable matches in the fall of 1990, 1991, and 1992. That was peak WTA. It's sad to see the product the WTA has produced after the US Open. The WTA should have been building on the momentum of Coco Gauff's win, but is instead shooting itself in the foot with all these irrelevant and out of place tournaments.

Gauff and Swiatek will meet in the Beijing SF

Meanwhile, the lineup for the WTA YEC is set

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.