Horror Movies | 2023 HORROR RATE NOW! (pg. 232)

Outlaws

Smile. HOLY ****. I mean, holy ****. WOW. If that's not the best horror movie this year it's at least a strong contender. TOP 3 for sure. Maybe not best overall but definitely the scariest. 

Creepiness and jump scares overload. Not the shitty lame ones that you've seen a million times and can predict from miles away. They're very well executed and effective and you won't see them coming (except for that one scene they put in the trailer). A guy in my back row was literally SCREAMING and crying in terror every time he got jumped and it was hilarious :bibliahh:but it almost ruined the movie for me so yeah if you want to book a ticket(s), book one during weekdays especially if you're easily annoyed by people like me. 

The story is very similar to It Follows but on steroids, a lot more tense, scarier and darker. While it borrows every tropes you've ever seen before from the genres, somehow it manages to make something so fresh out of it. The pacing is excellent, not too fast nor too slow to keep you on edge. No silly comedic relief, no unnecessary breaks either (thank god). The movie is basically set-piece after set-piece, and doesn't let you breathe until the very end. Every moment, every interaction is worth paying close attention to and this is largely thanks to the tight script and Sosie Bacon's incredible performance :clap3:She totally ate her role. 

The message conveyed/topic at hand is very powerful and important; and unfortunately I am certain it resonates with a lot of us. It touches on trauma, depression and mental illnesses in general and depicts how it can affect and take over of a person's life in a delicate way without feeling forced. There aren't many movies out there that can achieve a perfect balance between entertaining values and subject matter but this one I believe has achieved close to that. The psychological aspect of what's happening to the protagonist is every bit as disturbing and devastating as the monsters/supernatural things she experiences are scary and terrifying. And I love that. 

There is more I want to discuss but I'll just end it here. The final third is easily one of the best and scariest I've seen to. Again, this is not something groundbreaking nor which you haven't seen before but it's done exceptionally well that it feels so refreshing. It doesn't try hard to be pretentious or to be something it's not and I love that so much. Recommend watching in theaters late night for full experience. 

Overall, A 9.5/10 for me. Barbarian and Pearl might have surpassed this quality wise but I sure as hell won't be losing sleep over those two. This one, however, is not for the faint of heart. 

Edited by SmashingMiley

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reverse Warholian

• ChapelHooker

• The Witch

• genetic fail

Tomorow i'm going with my bff to see Smile. So excited.

1 hour ago, rooby.booby said:

Tomorow i'm going with my bff to see Smile. So excited.

You will love it. Just don’t expect a masterpiece from it tho. I went in with almost zero expectation thinking that it’s just gonna be another typical jump scare movie which is probably why i ended up loving it so much. Good old-fashioned horror film that relies on both jump scares and atmosphere to deliver. 

Think It Follows plus Lights Out. It Follows in terms of plot and being ominous and Lights Out in terms of jump/ a “creepypasta” feel of sort which i can’t really put my finger on but you get it. 

Edited by SmashingMiley

5 hours ago, SmashingMiley said:

Smile. 

9.5/10 

B4q5qrq.thumb.gif.b09dbda8784ed4e915eb03

10 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

the way It Follows STAYS in the horror conversation constantly since its release...

a modern classic truly 

Avi.thumb.gif.8de150627f60e588770735ddec

Of course! One of the best horror movies of the last decade :WAP:

On 10/9/2022 at 10:53 PM, publikcitizen said:

I really like As Above So Below. I know it didn't get good reviews but I really liked it. Plus I love french history and I've been inside the catacombs when I visited Paris last fall. I can see how it would be a fun macabre setting for a horror movie. It's on Hulu now if anyone is interested in watching it. 

I think we ALL like AASB

Whoever casted the men from HELLRAISER (hulu) deserves a raise

12 hours ago, The Witch said:

I need to watch it at the theatre asap :WAP:

What is playing at your local cinema if none of these films ever aren't? @mellenthin

4mUk0v5.gif

12 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

the way It Follows STAYS in the horror conversation constantly since its release...

a modern classic truly 

Avi.thumb.gif.8de150627f60e588770735ddec

Poor Maluca stan(s)

4mUk0v5.gif 

Edited by Reverse Warholian

2 hours ago, Jay L said:

Mariah Carey GIF - Mariah Carey Classic - Discover & Share GIFs

Anyone who hasn't seen the first one...do it now. You're welcome :WAP:

Surprised to see it crack the Top 10 at the weekend box office. Perhaps the success stan in me will stream :duca:

1 hour ago, Summerboy95 said:

I think we ALL like AASB

Definitely deserves some form of critical reappraisal this decade. She was a cute girl :clap3:

4mUk0v5.gif 

Edited by Reverse Warholian

It Follows plus Lights Out

A modern masterpiece plus a forgotten fad 

4mUk0v5.gif 

Hi I’m late but just watched malignant for the first time and it is easily the best horror film of the 2020s. :giraffe:

1 hour ago, Reverse Warholian said:

What is playing at your local cinema if none of these films ever aren't? @mellenthin

4mUk0v5.gif

Girl, I imagine it's rough in Mauritania. Nothing is playing in Sweden either. The Swedish cinema website has even been down for a while so no info on nothing :deadbanana4:

4mUk0v5.gif

4 hours ago, Reverse Warholian said:

A modern masterpiece plus a forgotten fad 

4mUk0v5.gif 

A critically acclaimed commercial flop + a global Box office smash. Truly the FULL package 

spacer.png

10 hours ago, SmashingMiley said:

You will love it. Just don’t expect a masterpiece from it tho. I went in with almost zero expectation thinking that it’s just gonna be another typical jump scare movie which is probably why i ended up loving it so much. Good old-fashioned horror film that relies on both jump scares and atmosphere to deliver. 

Think It Follows plus Lights Out. It Follows in terms of plot and being ominous and Lights Out in terms of jump/ a “creepypasta” feel of sort which i can’t really put my finger on but you get it. 

I still see it as a typical jump scare movie. Excited to see it tho, i haven't seen a good jump scare movie for a while. I LOVED "It Follows" and LO was ok. So yeah! 

7 hours ago, Jay L said:

Mariah Carey GIF - Mariah Carey Classic - Discover & Share GIFs

Anyone who hasn't seen the first one...do it now. You're welcome :WAP:

I haven't seen the first one i always thought it sucks. But i will watch both movies one after the other.

----

Sorry for the double post. 

6 hours ago, Reverse Warholian said:

4mUk0v5.gif

Poor Maluca stan(s)

4mUk0v5.gif 

Orphan: First Slay, The Cellar 2022 (?) and Global Smile

spacer.png

ykw I haven't seen Smile yet but im happy its smashing. I remember seeing the short film its based on (Caitlin Stasey Stan Account) and thinking it was very well made. tbh idc about the quality of a horror movie if its making this much bank (even though this will just spawn even more The Ring copies)

1 hour ago, ChapelHooker said:

ykw I haven't seen Smile yet but im happy its smashing. I remember seeing the short film its based on (Caitlin Stasey Stan Account) and thinking it was very well made. tbh idc about the quality of a horror movie if its making this much bank (even though this will just spawn even more The Ring copies)

Yeah im happy this smashes as well. It’s rare to find a mainstream horror film these days which checks all the boxes.

The second weekend (domestic) barely dropped 18% which is HUGE because horror movies are notorious for having big drop 2nd weekend. If it keeps up, it will easily end up in the 90-100 million range as it already surpassed The Black Phone (which grossed 89 million total) at the same point. Also cinemascore is B- which is very good for horror movies so it will continue to have legs. 

10 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

it’s part of the reason why i rarely come in this thread ….. people in here think often think Shudder originals are “best horror movie of the year” material

I saw Smile the other week pretty much only because I got a discount ticket and felt like watching some trashy horror. I hadn’t even seen a trailer or further looked into it at all. Wasn’t even aware of its success and hype nnn;

The first 20 minutes or so had me intrigued and pleasantly surprised. Good atmosphere, excellent cinematography (especially for a wide release horror), competent acting and interesting enough basic premise. It didn’t really manage to do much with all this, though. The plot was paint by the numbers as can be. Still, decently entertaining and  the finale was pretty cool. Nice effects and sound design there. I’d give it like a 5 or 5.5/10.

What bugged the hell out me, though, and I wonder if anyone else felt that way, is that the camera work at some point started to feel completely purposeless and showy for no reason. I swear, they did that damn overhead flip thing like 7 times. Giving Xtina as a camerawoman. :deadbanana2:

rewatching halloween k#1lls in anticipation for Ends :bird:  i really liked it when it came out, much better than H40

4 hours ago, qurl said:

it’s part of the reason why i rarely come in this thread ….. people in here think often think Shudder originals are “best horror movie of the year” material

true but they wouldn't be too wrong this year because of sPeak No Evil

2022 was such a good year for horror movies and 2023 will start with a bang with Meghan :WAP:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.