Nintendo Base | Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (MC 86)

feelslikeadream

4 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

What’s even MORE annoying is how I spent an hour today after finding the flamethrower wandering in circles trying to figure out what to do next. The hint told me to go deeper into the mines but the path was blocked. After searching back and forth and fighting the same b*tch a*s h*e pirates over and over, I finally looked it up and learned 

Reveal hidden contents

you have to go to the opposite side of the mines from where the hint directs you to the Metroid quarantine and use the X-ray visor to jump on hidden platforms

:deadbanana2: How the F are you supposed to figure that out? I literally went to that room in my lost frenzy and spent 10 min looking for grapple beam hooks. There is not ONE place where they introduced that as a concept and there’s absolutely ZERO hints in that room that you should even try that. Is it supposed to be just trial and error? I defended Dread when that LOSER said it was bad game design that you had to shoot the ceiling because there were clearly enemies there that made you do it instinctively. THIS is an example of bad game design :rip:

I’m really enjoying the game and the visuals are gorgeous, but I have the same problem. I’m constantly getting lost and wasting so much time wandering old areas in circles :rip:  I only now just got the wave beam :rip:

6 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

WOW SIS TASTE except I still consider SR an 8 even though I rank it the same

1. Dread

2. Fusion

3. Zero Mission

4. Samus Returns

5. Super Metroid 

The way everyone screams about SM but she’s the only one I couldn’t even bother completing despite restarting it like 6 times over the years :lakitu: 

I had fun with it (I made it furthest up until the sunken ship I think???) but honestly the controls feel too archaic for me and I could never get used to them :cm:

Samus Returns is still great! But as you said, the Metroid II storyline is so boring and repetitive that it has no replay value for me. 

Omg Super Metroid is beyond overrated. Someone had to say it. I’m convinced the only people praising it as the best game ever are people who grew up with it. The controls are horrible and make the game almost unplayable. I might even put Samus Returns above it now that I think about it nnn

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feelslikeadream

• Magickarp

• Rence

• Katamari

• ATRL Moderator

I just played Super Metroid for the first time last year (so I didn't grow up with the controls) and I thought it was a 10/10, so what's tea @TalkThatRihanna / @youreyesgocold

That said, I also thought Zero Mission and Samus Returns were 10s, so maybe I just unapologetically love Metroidvanias spacer.png

(But Hollow Knight is better than every Metroid game, obviously.)

3 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

I’m the worst because I barely dented that game :redface: I played until the first time you fight the female bug who’s the star of the new one but I couldn’t beat her and wasn’t enjoying the game enough to git gud :mandown:

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, youreyesgocold said:

I’m the worst because I barely dented that game :redface: I played until the first time you fight the female bug who’s the star of the new one but I couldn’t beat her and wasn’t enjoying the game enough to git gud :mandown:

Not female bug :redface: Put some respect on main Team Cherry girl HORNET.

This is surprising cause you usually have such good taste. I wonder if you got to her sooner than the average player, since you can explore however you want (except for a few places you obviously can't reach in early game). Maybe you should give it another try before Silksong comes out in a few weeks.

35 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

I just played Super Metroid for the first time last year (so I didn't grow up with the controls) and I thought it was a 10/10, so what's tea @TalkThatRihanna / @youreyesgocold

That said, I also thought Zero Mission and Samus Returns were 10s, so maybe I just unapologetically love Metroidvanias spacer.png

Super Metroid is a cute girl. But she doesn’t have the post game zero suit Samus like ZR does, or the amazing controls/pace as Dread, or the horror atmosphere as Fusion spacer.png

10 hours ago, youreyesgocold said:

Low key wave 4 kind of sucks tbh… idk about y’all but I’ve honestly hated all the “real world” inspired tracks so far (except the Berlin one). I don’t play tour so I’m not sure if these are any good but there’s so many of them in this wave. 

At least we get Birdo. Waluigi Stadium is an ok track too and hopefully Yoshi’s Island is decent. 

When they add Diddy and Pauline in future packs. :jonny2:

Samus Returns is... not good. Such a tedious game. AM2R completely did it better I'm afraid.

Super > Fusion > Dread > AM2R > Zero Mission > Samus Returns

lol-sincerely-ciara.gif

Samus Returns rant :)

I GET that Samus Returns is constrained by being a remake of Metroid 2, ergo it has to go along with the "kill all Metroids" mission of the original - but it just dropped the ball in so many ways.

The later forms of Metroid are actually cool fights! But the earlier forms, which make up about 30 out of the 40 Metroid battles in the game, are so boring and tedious. Either doing attack strings that leave them invulnerable over and over and force you to just sit there and dodge for ten seconds (Alpha Metroids) or fleeing mid-fight and forcing you to follow them around a few rooms (Gamma Metroids), they make a dull part of the game feel even worse. Going through Area 3 is a series low point.

Also the devs totally missed the feel of the original game. There were so many moments of quiet emptiness in the Gameboy game that don't exist in Samus Returns. The end-game section where you approach the Queen's lair was filled with vast, abandoned caverns and Samus Returns instead floods every cave with fifty million enemies and never gives you those moments of reflection. It's just chaotic in a bad way imo.

And the counter mechanic, which on paper is really cool (and Dread made it work!), is so poorly implemented that you can't get through a single room without every enemy rushing for you on sight. Makes any backtracking hellish until you get Screw Attack...

And on top of all of that, the environments for each area are really boring, bland and so utterly generic. I'd say they even made the planet less interesting by placing those dumb lava rooms everywhere, even next to that greenery-covered water tower in Area 5 like come on!

I like some of the later bosses and I like Samus' suit design in this one but that's kinda it. Idk. I replayed this game like last week and it still leaves me cold. It's a 6 or 7 out of 10 and the only modern 2D Metroid game that I would call mediocre. :sad:

5 hours ago, Subomie said:

Samus Returns is... not good. Such a tedious game. AM2R completely did it better I'm afraid.

Super > Fusion > Dread > AM2R > Zero Mission > Samus Returns

lol-sincerely-ciara.gif

But THIS is exactly the pretentiousness I was referring to. You have every right to not enjoy the game, that’s absolutely fine. Rank it at the bottom of the list. But when is the last time you saw a Pokémon fan game or remake in a ranking with mainline titles??? It can be good or great or the best Metroid fan game ever, but it’s not part of the discussion. If it is, why aren’t you including every other Metroid fan remake in your ranking? :deadbanana2:AM2R is literally called “Another Metroid 2 Remake” which proves my point.

5 hours ago, Subomie said:

Hide contents

I GET that Samus Returns is constrained by being a remake of Metroid 2, ergo it has to go along with the "kill all Metroids" mission of the original - but it just dropped the ball in so many ways.

The later forms of Metroid are actually cool fights! But the earlier forms, which make up about 30 out of the 40 Metroid battles in the game, are so boring and tedious. Either doing attack strings that leave them invulnerable over and over and force you to just sit there and dodge for ten seconds (Alpha Metroids) or fleeing mid-fight and forcing you to follow them around a few rooms (Gamma Metroids), they make a dull part of the game feel even worse. Going through Area 3 is a series low point.

Also the devs totally missed the feel of the original game. There were so many moments of quiet emptiness in the Gameboy game that don't exist in Samus Returns. The end-game section where you approach the Queen's lair was filled with vast, abandoned caverns and Samus Returns instead floods every cave with fifty million enemies and never gives you those moments of reflection. It's just chaotic in a bad way imo.

And the counter mechanic, which on paper is really cool (and Dread made it work!), is so poorly implemented that you can't get through a single room without every enemy rushing for you on sight. Makes any backtracking hellish until you get Screw Attack...

And on top of all of that, the environments for each area are really boring, bland and so utterly generic. I'd say they even made the planet less interesting by placing those dumb lava rooms everywhere, even next to that greenery-covered water tower in Area 5 like come on!

I like some of the later bosses and I like Samus' suit design in this one but that's kinda it. Idk. I replayed this game like last week and it still leaves me cold. It's a 6 or 7 out of 10 and the only modern 2D Metroid game that I would call mediocre. :sad:

All valid points to be honest, but I still have fun with it every time I play it so I guess for me they just don’t detract that much from the experience. It’s a great game in my opinion but it has the unfortunate circumstance of sitting in a list of stellar games so she stands out as weaker :monkey:

(Though this is coming from someone who would give Other M a 7, so clearly I am just not in the same headspace as everyone else. No one asked, but fwiw I think that game is fun - besides the point and click eye spy moments, the controls being stuck on the Wiimote, and the way they handled Samus’ character. It’s not really a Metroidvania but it was trying to do something different so it shouldn’t be analyzed like one)

5 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

But THIS is exactly the pretentiousness I was referring to. You have every right to not enjoy the game, that’s absolutely fine. Rank it at the bottom of the list. But when is the last time you saw a Pokémon fan game or remake in a ranking with mainline titles??? It can be good or great or the best Metroid fan game ever, but it’s not part of the discussion. If it is, why aren’t you including every other Metroid fan remake in your ranking? :deadbanana2:AM2R is literally called “Another Metroid 2 Remake” which proves my point.

Okay, I respect your thoughts, but to me I don't think it's all that pretentious.

Metroid isn't Pokemon, and there aren't a million fully fledged fan games out there. AM2R is the only major one, certainly the only fully fledged GAME, or something that's more than a mod or a romhack or a Flash thing. It's a community staple for a reason. It's an important game for the series and means a lot to a lot of people, especially for the time that it came out. It's become more than just another fan game and is something really precious to the fans - and to be honest... it holds up. AM2R's a great game, better than many of Nintendo's own offerings imo. I rank it because I personally feel it deserves to stand next to the main series games :heart:

6 hours ago, Subomie said:

Reveal hidden contents

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

53 minutes ago, Subomie said:

Okay, I respect your thoughts, but to me I don't think it's all that pretentious.

Metroid isn't Pokemon, and there aren't a million fully fledged fan games out there. AM2R is the only major one, certainly the only fully fledged GAME, or something that's more than a mod or a romhack or a Flash thing. It's a community staple for a reason. It's an important game for the series and means a lot to a lot of people, especially for the time that it came out. It's become more than just another fan game and is something really precious to the fans - and to be honest... it holds up. AM2R's a great game, better than many of Nintendo's own offerings imo. I rank it because I personally feel it deserves to stand next to the main series games :heart:

Well I just used Pokémon for the sake of example because it has a million of them. But it applies to any series. 

But I suppose if it means something to you then we can just agree to disagree. I just personally find it really strange that only this community does that  :bird:

Happy birthday to the fast selling games console of all time. :clap:

After the Wii U, seeing NintenGODS come back and effortless beat their competition in every metric without lifting a finger was gorgeous. :clap3:

DeterminedKeenFanworms-size_restricted.gif

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on the rumours of Switch 2 coming in early 2024 after that Pokémon leak? 

I just don't get why Nintendo would announce a new Switch this year if it's not releasing until next year. They only did that with the Wii U to Switch because the Wii U was already dead, and even then the Switch was supposed to come out in holiday 2016. :rip: I feel like Scarlet/Violet DLC and Zelda could still give them a decent holiday season with the current Switch alone, especially with a price cut, so it's weird to me. But then also the total lack of announced games after Pikmin 4 (aside from Prime 4) is suspicious.

Predicting Nintendo hurts my brain. :monkey:

9 hours ago, James_Dean said:

sjIJ4tt.png

Are they going to announce Johto?? :duca:

5 hours ago, Rence said:

Happy 6th year to this masterpiece :jonny5:

The intro always gives me chills. A cultural reset. :jonny5:

Just finished Throné's path, & gonna finish the other 7 next. 

So far OT2 seems much easier than OT1 :rip: I need <3 turns to KO a boss. Throné & Hikari regularly hit 35-55K damage :rip:

Any expert MPR girlies wanna offer some advice? I just collected the final artifact and saved and shut down before descending into Tallon IV’s bussy the impact craterspacer.png

I’m assuming this is the end of the game now (unless there’s an entire area down there?). I’m currently rocking 68% items (:skull:) and 96% log book. Am I going to struggle against fetus ms echo fighter? Should I spend more time accumulating missile expansions first (I’m currently rocking 110)?

Edited by youreyesgocold

BOTW did a lot for the genre and Nintendo as a whole but I can't get into it :rip: I think I put about 20 hours into it and I felt like I had done nothing. I also hate breakable weapons.

22 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

Any expert MPR girlies wanna offer some advice? I just collected the final artifact and saved and shut down before descending into Tallon IV’s bussy the impact craterspacer.png

I’m assuming this is the end of the game now (unless there’s an entire area down there?). I’m currently rocking 68% items (:skull:) and 96% log book. Am I going to struggle against fetus ms echo fighter? Should I spend more time accumulating missile expansions first (I’m currently rocking 110)?

You'll definitely beat it - but it might take you a lil bit. She's a damage sponge kinda boss. I tend to recklessly run through my missiles in a "get it over with" sort of fervor, but it's doable with a good ~100 missiles or so.

4 hours ago, Tylerbv said:

BOTW did a lot for the genre and Nintendo as a whole but I can't get into it :rip: I think I put about 20 hours into it and I felt like I had done nothing. I also hate breakable weapons.

Same, it's objectively an amazing game, but as a Zelda game I'm really not the biggest fan of it. Then again, I enjoyed LA and ALBW a lot more than like half the 3D Zeldas, so I guess I'm not exactly the majority. 

Edited by SlowGinFizzzz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.