Grace Randolph goes viral for being only (1) positive Borderlands review

Reverse Warholian

She's not totally wrong in today's MM but her initial message basically saying there's enough gay content out there right now is frankly insane, even more so when one of her examples was House of the Dragon of all things, I won't get into spoilers on what happened to the two (incredibly minor) gay characters there but... no. :rip: 

Speaking of HOTD, I really don't think its numbers are as confusing as she acts like. It's not an HBO Max show, it airs Sundays on HBO just like the original Game of Thrones did and then is available to stream on HBO Max. Is that really that hard for her to get her head around?

Edited by GivingCher

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Assassin

• orange22

• WildAmerican

• D_Man3379

3 minutes ago, Cloy said:

I wrote something and the error got me.

Long story short: What LGBT film that wasn't about a specific person opened big at the box office with or without a A-list lead LGBT or not?

What are you asking...????

Damn, she was on fire today. :jonny5: 

Every once in a while smother reminds me why I’m still subscribed :jonny5: 

1 hour ago, GivingCher said:

She's not totally wrong in today's MM but her initial message basically saying there's enough gay content out there right now is frankly insane, even more so when one of her examples was House of the Dragon of all things, I won't get into spoilers on what happened to the two (incredibly minor) gay characters there but... no. :rip: 

Speaking of HOTD, I really don't think its numbers are as confusing as she acts like. It's not an HBO Max show, it airs Sundays on HBO just like the original Game of Thrones did and then is available to stream on HBO Max. Is that really that hard for her to get her head around?

The funny part was that she mentioned HOTD views are split in half but still proceeded to say it doesn’t matter. :deadbanana2:

But did anyone expect HOTD to have bigger numbers than ROP when Amazon Prime has far more subscribers than HBO Max?

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

She really filleted Eichner. I hate to admit it, but her point about critics being afraid to be honest about Bros is pretty on point. I was already feeling a rose-tinted view of Love, Simon from critics as well. It just makes gays look bad.

Everyone I know who has seen Bros has loved it, plus the cinema score, the critic reviews, and the audience comments lead me to believe the film is actually quite good? I'm planning on seeing it this week. Wouldn't be the first time a good or great film didn't perform well at the box office. That's why I didn't like her comment in MM about the box office being the ultimate truth teller when there have been plenty of great movies that have flopped. 

8 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

Everyone I know who has seen Bros has loved it, plus the cinema score, the critic reviews, and the audience comments lead me to believe the film is actually quite good? I'm planning on seeing it this week. Wouldn't be the first time a good or great film didn't perform well at the box office. That's why I didn't like her comment in MM about the box office being the ultimate truth teller when there have been plenty of great movies that have flopped. 

I saw it tonight and thought it was good!

A lot of LOL moments (I was HOWLING during the dinner scene :dies:), although some of the jokes just plain sucked. Also needed a tighter edit as it felt about 20 minutes too long. 

A tad overrated by critics, but probably the best romcom I've seen in a while. It'll get its flowers when it hits streaming. 7.5/10 

• ATRL Moderator
11 minutes ago, Reverse Warholian said:

I saw it tonight and thought it was good!

A lot of LOL moments (I was HOWLING during the dinner scene :dies:), although some of the jokes just plain sucked. Also needed a tighter edit as it felt about 20 minutes too long. 

A tad overrated by critics, but probably the best romcom I've seen in a while. It'll get its flowers when it hits streaming. 7.5/10 

We stan a balanced, unbiased, and well-articulated opinion. Not everyone has that

she's always asking for lgbt representation on everything and when someone does a gay movie it's a problem for business? she needs pick a side and stick with it.

5 hours ago, Drowned8World said:

she's always asking for lgbt representation on everything and when someone does a gay movie it's a problem for business? she needs pick a side and stick with it.

Wasn’t she also saying Heartstopper wasn’t a hit at first and now she’s saying it is. :rip:

Grace stanning Dan Levy and dragging Billy Eichner at the same time? She's truly an ally :clap3:

I agree with a lot of what she's saying, especially about how Billy Eichner shouldn't have put himself in the lead role since he is not leading man material. However, her saying there isn't a lack of mainstream gay romcoms and then showing low-budget dramas such as Moonlight and CMBYN as examples is ridiculous

When the lackluster box office numbers came in for Love, Simon in 2018, Grace acknowledged the negative implications it might have on the future of mainstream gay films. BROS is the only other gay romcom in 4 years that was given a wide release since, but now she thinks there's plenty of representation because of some streaming hits with LGBTQ+ characters. 

I'm not saying that BROS doesn't deserve the floppage or that a really good LGBTQ+ led romcom wouldn't smash in theaters, but we have not gotten the opportunity to see if that would be the case or not. It seems like Grace is just piling things on now because it's safe to drag BROS/Billy Eichner, but she's not making sense. 

Her logic surrounding the Cinemascore/Rotten tomatoes rating vs box office numbers doesn't make sense either. From now on, we might as well ignore the Cinemascore and Rotten Tomatoes rating and only gage the quality of the film based off of the box office numbers for every movie...

Also, her advocating for on set screaming matches to make a comeback... :rip: 

Edited by MikeyDuff1D

14 hours ago, Ampersand13 said:

Yeah i disagree with her on that one too but i agree with her that the cast (especially Billy) should've handle to poorly box office numbers better

Like, they've should've realize that Romcom movies in general are dead in cinema. The Lost City can be considered as romcom but that movie isn't "straight-up" typical Romcom and it also had top billing actors like Sandra Bullock & Brad Pitt :deadbanana4:

Even if Bros ended up being flop in the end but I'm 100% sure it will do great on streaming and DVD & Blu-ray releases

Billy and the cast should've let word of mouth do the talking i mean, it has a solid A score on CinamaScore and has 80% overall positive score on PostTrak :deadbanana4: They better hope for a bit longevity on BO or else another possibly twitter meltdown from him would be even worse

Grace is such a prude. She is personally offended at Matt Murdock and Jen sleeping together. I bet she has never had a one night stand. 

On 10/5/2022 at 3:44 AM, Arcadius said:

Girl enough :deadbanana2:

She says only Namor and Shuri should be on the posters, but Namor is literally as big as Shuri on the posters but upside down. Did she not see him?? :dies:

Why is she so bothered by Jen having a one night stand? She saying that this one of the worst quality women have? like what, she truly has to work on that internalized misogyny :biblio:

:deadbanana4:The One Night Stan discourse. What’s so “Disturbing” about 2 consenting adult superhero Lawyers smashing. ? and the Captain America Butt rant. She is so funny. 

47 minutes ago, MikeyDuff1D said:

Also, her advocating for on set screaming matches to make a comeback... :rip: 

She literally has the same energy as an old Hollywood exec in the 40’s feeding the stars uppers & barbiturates like candy. No women, no writers in leading roles, no box office flops…

I wonder what set her off to make her so blatantly anti-women lately :mazen: she's been REALLY doubling down on it. Like the most innocuous thing will set her off and make her go on some internalized misogyny rant- the BP poster, the one night stand thing, that MM where she talked about women selling tickets :deadbanana2: like, imo it's going beyond funny delusional mess and verging into uncomfortable for me now bc it's making it's way into EVERY video that includes women

35 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Grace is such a prude. She is personally offended at Matt Murdock and Jen sleeping together. I bet she has never had a one night stand. 

Her takes on this video going worse to worser :deadbanana2:

27 minutes ago, bluevelvetcrowbar said:

I wonder what set her off to make her so blatantly anti-women lately :mazen: she's been REALLY doubling down on it. Like the most innocuous thing will set her off and make her go on some internalized misogyny rant- the BP poster, the one night stand thing, that MM where she talked about women selling tickets :deadbanana2: like, imo it's going beyond funny delusional mess and verging into uncomfortable for me now bc it's making it's way into EVERY video that includes women

Her Rings of Power review got lots of views and was spread by the incel side of social media because she called Gladriel "a Mary Sue and a Karen", guess she is desperate to get those 1M subs.

Edited by Assassin

She made some points and not at the same time on MM.

I watched the movie last week and it was funny and very enjoyable. A good rom-com. Was it groundbreaking? Of course not, it's a rom-com. That genre is not going to be a masterpiece, straight or gay. And it's a dead genre at the BO so it was bound to flop. I mean Marry Me by JLo opened with 7.95 million, witch much more name recognized talent and on the weekend right before Valentine's. That should tell you much.

With that said, Billy is wrong to blame this floppage on homophobia. Sure it played a part (many straight people would NEVER see this, no matter the actors), but even the gay community didn't show up for this (although many gays here in ATRL were salivating at this flopping so that opens another discourse) and they were tearing it down on social media, and that is Billy's own fault. He has been obnoxious and well he can be very annoying. While I enjoyed the movie it felt very egocentric/personal project, which is a lot of the points Grace touched on. The movie can be very hard to relate to, as it's basically his biopic lmao, and even if the film itself jokes on the "white cis gay privilege" that still doesn't make it any less true. While it is true that there aren't many romcoms with lead gay characters, the marketing angle was horrible trying to paint this as a selling point. AGAIN, it is true but it's not gonna get you sympathy. 

I hated her mentioning "lots of LGBT content". Sure, there are, but all are streaming. The few LGBT projects on the big screen are all tragedies or lingering on trauma (CMBYN / Moonlight) or projects on what straight people think gay people are (Love, Simon). And to make it worse, straight actors playing gay just for the awards. Why are those the only two options? We need fun lighthearted romcoms like the straights had for years. Also, even if we have gay supporting characters on every show nowadays, we still need/want shows with gay leads. 

Anyways, her takes keep getting worse so I am not even gonna watch that She Hulk breakdown. She clearly doesn't like that show.

I laughed out loud at her fully ****-shaming Jen Walters in today’s She Hulk video, I swear she’s losing it lately 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.