RuPaul's Drag Race

Unoriginal
ATRL Administration
Message added by ATRL Administration,

Reminder to *report* posts that violate rules, especially rules violating our Zero Tolerance Policy (e.g., racism, transphobia, etc.) and spoilers. We cannot adequately moderate this thread if reports are not filed. Click here for the rules. Thank you.

1 hour ago, satellites.™ said:

um hmmm

sddefault.jpg

thanks for proving that it's a different look :clap3:

• Replies 43.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• Relampago.

• Bimbo

• Rotunda

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Almodusa said:

"competing for the title of america's next drag superstar"

*zoom into Q*

:deadbanana4:

10 minutes ago, G.U.Y said:

thanks for proving that it's a different look :clap3:

Is it really though?

ScreenShot2024-01-17at10.44.55AM.png?v=1705506367 GK0YXi4W4AArU5Q?format=jpg&name=medium

I mean I'm not saying it's the exact look, but come on... I swear some of y'all (@KasioKas @Terrielle) will downvote anything that is not sheer praise for Nymphia. I even prefaced my comment by saying I wasn't shading her, y'all can't be that insicure about your fave :skull:

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Down 4

12 minutes ago, G.U.Y said:

"competing for the title of america's next drag superstar"

*zoom into Q*

:deadbanana4:

That was so :ahh:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Almodusa said:

The thumbnail… absolute nightmare blunt rotation :skull: 

• Haha 10

Nymphia looking sickening as always yes gawd.

nymphia, plane & sapphira all look sickening what a deserving top 3 :WAP:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Iceland said:

Mhi'ya or morphine deserve those 50k 

manifesting :khalyan2:

I wouldn't be mad if they tied :jonny6:

#TeamMiami

• Thanks 1

Am I the only one rooting for Mirage to bring that 50k cheque home? :chick3:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Is it really though?

different makeup/outfit/headpiece= different look

same theme ? sure

Final form ? sure

now, why didn't you call out the other 2 girls :coffee: another bodysuit/gown

not that I have anything against it :sistrens: they also look sickning

4 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Am I the only one rooting for Mirage to bring that 50k cheque home? :chick3:

I am! Rooting for Mirage or Morphine.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, G.U.Y said:

different makeup/outfit/headpiece= different look

same theme ? sure

Final form ? sure

now, why didn't you call out the other 2 girls :coffee: another bodysuit/gown

not that I have anything against it :sistrens: they also look sickning

maxresdefault.jpg

I should've used this as a reference pic because the make up is actually different in the photo she posted on Instagram, but you get my point.

I personally don't think Jane and Sapphira's looks are similar to anything they already wore in the competition but whatever, they all look good and at the end of the day are not even competing in the lip sync smackdown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah it similar enough to be noticeable for sure

9VsANya.png YoZf1UX.png

Meanwhile what it is in some of yall's head

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

1 hour ago, Hephaestus said:

Is it really though?

ScreenShot2024-01-17at10.44.55AM.png?v=1705506367 GK0YXi4W4AArU5Q?format=jpg&name=medium

I mean I'm not saying it's the exact look, but come on... I swear some of y'all (@KasioKas @Terrielle) will downvote anything that is not sheer praise for Nymphia. I even prefaced my comment by saying I wasn't shading her, y'all can't be that insicure about your fave :skull:

I will downvote idiocy and foolishness (regardless of who it's about). I welcome criticism. Don't play with me.

Edited by KasioKas
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

6 minutes ago, KasioKas said:

I will downvote idiocy and foolishness (regardless of who it's about). I welcome criticism. Don't play with me.

Care to elaborate on what makes the two looks substantially different then?

• Like 1

So you'd have forgiven Nymphia if she just did a simple purple lip? What are you even saying :rip:

That makeup is obviously culturally significant to her and we've seen it twice in 15 episodes. Get a grip 

• Thanks 2

Amanda still jealous :coffee2:

Rooting for Morphine to get that 50K :giraffe:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

Care to elaborate on what makes the two looks substantially different then?

I really encourage you to look into the finer details, and understand the meaning behind and beauty of traditional Taiwanese theater makeup. It takes an incredible amount of time to paint and the craftmanship that went into creating the headpiece, supposedly made from scratch, is insane. 

CDN media

Here's a medium article that touches on it further: https://medium.com/@cccindy/the-traditional-artistic-gems-taiwanese-opera-fb0e14631951

To look at both from afar on screen and imply they look the same without appreciating the art, fabric design, makeup changes, headpieces, shoes etc is borderline dismissive.

Nymphia-Wind-Talent-Show-Look.webpCDN mediaGK4hBqhWEAAzKz5?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by KasioKas
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm so excited for this showdown. 

I ready for whatever the queen of flips will bring. 

• Like 2

From the article @Hephaestus

Costumes and Makeup:

One of the most visually striking aspects of Taiwanese Opera is the elaborate costumes and makeup. The costumes are colorful and ornate, reflecting the characters' social status, age, and roles. Different colors and patterns are used to represent specific character types, such as red for loyalty and bravery, and white for treachery or deceit.

Makeup plays a crucial role in Taiwanese Opera, helping the audience identify character types and emotions. The makeup styles are intricate and symbolic, with painted patterns on the face representing specific character traits, such as virtue, wickedness, or supernatural powers. The makeup artists, known as "Hua Dan," skillfully apply the makeup, highlighting the actors' facial features and expressions.

It's wholly impressive and it's important we appreciate them individually and not as "variants" imho

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KasioKas said:

To look at both from afar on screen and imply they look the same without appreciating the art, fabric design, makeup changes, headpieces, shoes etc is borderline dismissive.

That's not what I said though:

4 hours ago, Hephaestus said:

I truly don't mean this as shade, but isn't Nymphia's looks basically a variant of what she wore in the talent show?

2 hours ago, Hephaestus said:

I mean I'm not saying it's the exact look, but come on...

I know what Taiwanese opera is, but thanks for taking time to bring receipts.

My whole point was that the two looks are similar, that's literally it. I didn't even imply it was a good or bad thing, neither I made it a cultural argument, but y'all are up in arms as if I said her look is sh*t and she wears yellow all the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hephaestus said:

My whole point was that the two looks are similar, that's literally it. I didn't even imply it was a good or bad thing, neither I made it a cultural argument, but y'all are up in arms as if I said her look is sh*t and she wears yellow all the time.

I'm not up in arms, i just disagreed and took the time to tell you why. A dv isn't a personal attack.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KasioKas said:

I'm not up in arms

53 minutes ago, KasioKas said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952zn0qgnenmjohitbb1hh7nvkiwsfgg3mqknh8mm2j&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Hephaestus said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952zn0qgnenmjohitbb1hh7nvkiwsfgg3mqknh8mm2j&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Up in arms would be me quoting you to drag you directly. I chose to be kind. 

Ruvealing the Look - Jasmine Masters - RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars (Video  Clip) | MTV

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.