• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Genius1111

• Espresso

• Jotham

• Cloröx

I think India is doing random testing on 2% of incoming passengers, regardless of where they are coming from.

Singapore and Australia are not adding any PCR test requirements for those from China.

It is a stunning reversal for China because a few months ago, it was China that was demanding all these requirements and even halting services from certain countries. I fear (genuinely) that every young person in urban areas will know of at least 1 older person (relative or neighbor) dying of COVID.

It really feels like China is almost nearly back to square one. This is going to be the fourth consecutive Lunar New Year that is compromised by COVID. 

I presume that in 2023, the WHO will declare Mpox to not be an emergency, but for COVID, I suppose we must wait till 2024 at the earliest.

14 hours ago, Espresso said:

!!!!!!

This sounds way too familiar...

Are we going to get Covid-19 TV? It should stay in the vault :gaycat7:

41 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

Are we going to get Covid-19 TV? It should stay in the vault :gaycat7:

COVID-22 or COVID-23 is coming...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/30/china-covid-experts-estimate-9000-deaths-a-day-as-us-says-it-may-sample-wastewater-from-planes

Airfinity expects deaths to peak on 23 January with about 25,000 a day, with cumulative deaths reaching 584,000 since December. 

---

It looks like Lunar New Year 2023 will not be a joyous affair because quite a number of people will be losing their loved ones.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/12/30/china-covid-deaths-zero-covid-xi-jinping-government-trust-beijing/

The Chinese Public Doesn’t Know Who to Trust Anymore

Amid rampant COVID outbreaks, people are confused and scared.

Sometimes I wonder whether the citizens regret protesting against COVID-zero. They probably never expected to be that successful.

It is interesting how people in Shijiazhuang were dead set against the easing when their city was trialled for opening up.

The biggest victims are the healthcare workers, as Dec 2022/Jan2023 looks exactly like Dec 2019 / Jan 2020.

Edited by Genius1111

France, Israel, S Korea, Spain and England now want negative PCR tests from those traveling from mainland China.

India is even stricter. They also want negativr tests from those from HK, Japan, South Korea and Singapore. 

https://thediplomat.com/2022/12/from-zero-to-all-out-covid-the-power-of-the-politburos-standing-committee/

From Zero to All-Out COVID: The Power of the Politburo’s Standing Committee

Ultimately, the choice was Xi’s, but his colleagues on the Standing Committee of the Politburo wield extraordinary power, collectively and individually.

What is the fallout of this for Xi and his closest comrades? What political price, if any, are they going to pay for stringing China’s massive population along for three years in a quest to beat the spread of the virus, only to now have, within a matter of a few weeks, millions of new cases a day throughout the country, hospitals struggling to cope, and thousands of deaths already reported?

The answer is probably less of a price than had the strictest of COVID-fighting restrictions remained in place. By devolving responsibility down to health authorities and individual citizens themselves, Chinese citizens will likely be as focused on staying safe and healthy as the rest of the world was in 2020 and 2021 in particular, leaving little energy to point fingers or engage in political activism.

Indeed, the damage from China’s lockdowns, both economic as well as psychological, is likely to fade in people’s minds as they now face the more difficult consequence of widespread infection: the loss of family and friends.

Undoubtedly, that has been figured into the calculations of the PSC. If Xi’s comrades on the Standing Committee of the Politburo are strong enough to have wrested control of China’s COVID response from him, then it is interesting to ponder how much power they hold over other critical issues, power which is normally credited to Xi alone. Xi has consolidated power in his PSC, but he may also have created a force that gently puts limits on his excesses. The reversal of China’s zero COVID policy would seem to indicate it, and Wang Huning’s fingerprints are likely all over the new version.

Edited by Genius1111

On 12/29/2022 at 5:45 AM, Genius1111 said:

COVID-22 or COVID-23 is coming...

Well, the Biden strategy has been, and will continue to be, that COVID isn't a pandemic anymore, and if anyone dies, it's their fault. Basically what the Trump strategy was, so I wouldn't be surprised with a "COVID-23" ending up deadlier. Especially with a population that is more conspiracy-minded and less amenable to public health measures than they were when they were already refusing to stay at home and ignoring shelter-in-place guidelines. :michael:

Honestly, a new pandemic will just end us. We'll be much less equipped to deal with it now that everyone has pretty much decided that "learning loss" wasn't worth preventing children in schools from becoming orphaned and losing all their teachers.

I cannot believe what Chinese government is doing rn, they basically threw 3 years of people's personal sacrifices and commitment to trash :ace: I guess they came to a conclusion that they aren't able to win with the virus after all after spring lockdowns.

54 minutes ago, TasteOfYourLips said:

I cannot believe what Chinese government is doing rn

But rich Shanghainese students wanted to go traveling and enjoying life? :celestial5:

The world stood with the brave protestors of the BLANK PAPER revolution? :celestial5:

Countries like the US, Japan and much of Europe demanded #ChinaOpenTheEconomyUp? :celestial5:

Are you telling me that Zero COVID was actually the correct policy and Western demand to live with the virus is now going to cause millions more deaths and send emerging new variants throughout the world and cause the greatest supply chain collapse the world will experience in the entire pandemic? :celestial5:

But don't worry, if we just close our borders to China, it'll be fine because. the pandemic is over!

2 minutes ago, Communion said:

But don't worry, if we just close our borders to China, it'll be fine because. the pandemic is over!

Well, with this right-wing government we have in America, we can look forward to closing our borders to all countries with brown people and using the pandemic (that's currently over btw!) as an excuse to leave our gates closed. :fan: 

4 hours ago, Communion said:

But rich Shanghainese students wanted to go traveling and enjoying life? :celestial5:

The world stood with the brave protestors of the BLANK PAPER revolution? :celestial5:

Countries like the US, Japan and much of Europe demanded #ChinaOpenTheEconomyUp? :celestial5:

Are you telling me that Zero COVID was actually the correct policy and Western demand to live with the virus is now going to cause millions more deaths and send emerging new variants throughout the world and cause the greatest supply chain collapse the world will experience in the entire pandemic? :celestial5:

Lmao at that 'eat the rich attitude' from you when the protests came directly after Xinjijang's fires. Nobody wants to burn alive :coffee:

Their zero covid policy was only correct if they wanted to stay closed forever which was very fine by me. :michael: However I am enjoying living in my second-world country with public and free healthcare where covid is old news 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.