2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

• Replies 25.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermillion

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Vroom Vroom said:

The Michelle Obama take is so stale. People like her because she is apolitical. Her numbers would drop if she ever shared her thoughts on any controversial topic. What is her official stance on what is going on in Palestine? As a former First Lady she doesn't have to share it, but as a presidential nominee she would.ย 

This, a million times over.

ย 

Michelle Obama is beloved because she doesn't get involved in politics and that's fine as First Lady. As soon as the First Lady seems to engage in politics, their favorability plummets. That was true for Hillary Clinton and now Jill Biden is being seen as partaking in elder abuse after the Vogue cover and her involvement in campaign rallies.

ย 

If people want to play fantasy candidate, Michelle Obama is in the same tier of fantasy as Taylor Swift.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bloo said:

This, a million times over.

ย 

Michelle Obama is beloved because she doesn't get involved in politics and that's fine as First Lady. As soon as the First Lady seems to engage in politics, their favorability plummets. That was true for Hillary Clinton and now Jill Biden is being seen as partaking in elder abuse after the Vogue cover and her involvement in campaign rallies.

ย 

If people want to play fantasy candidate, Michelle Obama is in the same tier of fantasy as Taylor Swift.

Let's not pretend that even a more political Michelle Obama wouldn't still be a ten times better candidate than Biden or Kamala.

1 hour ago, Redstreak said:

ย 

im so ******* coconut tree pilled right now

I feel like people forgot that like 3 month period in 2019 or so before Bernie announced he was running and Kamala was like...THE progressive candidate even to the ire of Warren supporters who thought it was her time.ย 

ย 

She gave all the correct soundbytes and was somewhat navigating her past record - not enough for the scrutinity of a presidential candidate (directly addressing it) but pushing it out of mind by being fully on board with progressive policy as a senator (her, Booker, Gillibrand, etc. all suddenly being in step with Bernie's 2016 agenda as Dems representing the deep blue states).

ย 

Her campaign fell apart when Sanders entered and her lane as the progressive ended and she tried to ride the middle in what was maybe one of the worst attempts of cynical politicking there could be. "I rose my hand to get rid of MY insurance". We saw Warren struggle similarly while still chasing progressive women vs all the other faux-ggressives like Pete and Beto switched to stone cold centrists trashing M4A.

ย 

Biden absolutely screwed her over because she'd have even better of a chance running if he retired and she got to act as interim president first before running and could reference an already existing agenda instead of asked to provide one based on where the media falsely claims the average median voter is.ย 

ย 

I genuinely think she's an affluent progressive person whose own politics are driven by some degree of compassion yet influenced through her upbringing as understanding institutions are institutions and accepting she is just a politician who "has to play the game" (as Warren phrased it).

ย 

Her problem being she was SO apathetic to the curvatures of "the game" that she was like "just toss me in there and tell me what to say" and ended up with the kind of imploding campaign she did. Should have just stuck to courting progressives over listening to cynical staffers.ย 

ย 

Truly the queen of the DGAF war and I'd trust her 100000x more than someone who DOES know how to play the game like Pete or an actual true conservative like Biden, Klobuchar, etc.

• ATRL Moderator
41 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Let's not pretend that even a more political Michelle Obama wouldn't still be a ten times better candidate than Biden or Kamala.

A puppy would be a better candidate than Biden. The idea of Michelle is better than Kamala, sure. But Michelle is an idealistic hypothetical so I won't come to any conclusions there. As soon as she becomes politically real, politically ambitious, and has to then defend Barack Obama's record and all his failings, then holes in her branding will start to appear.

ย 

In general, I amย sickย of hearing about the hypothetical Michelle Obama campaign. We need to let her go and let her live life as a private citizen like she's always wanted.ย 

• Thanks 2

The journalist behind the piece that every single insider in the Beltway seems to be quoting in the last hour.

ย 

Is it really over? :deadvision:ย I can't believe this might actually happen :deadbanana4:ย October surprise come early? Most states will have time to change ballots?

ย 

ย 

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

spacer.png

I expected a lot more than 2% dropย :giraffe:

Anyway, Trump shouldn't rise like that by any means... con artist, liar, convicted criminal and now a second putin all thanks to SC:gaycat6:

Edited by Gottasadae

I think Biden wants out and his family's insisting the team says no. His aides are likely split but won't reveal that publicly.

ย 

ย 

2 minutes ago, Espresso said:

I think Biden wants out and his family's insisting the team says no. His aides are likely split but won't reveal that publicly.

ย 

ย 

JILL BIDEN WONT SEE THE GATES OF HEAVEN AND NEITHER WILL JOES CRACKHEAD SON!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Communion said:

JILL BIDEN WONT SEE THE GATES OF HEAVEN AND NEITHER WILL JOES CRACKHEAD SON!!!!!!

gxdvunln;;;;;; :deadbanana:

Biden looks like a clown. He has since last Thursday. Not only in his country but overseasย :biblio: Everything seems chaotic, he doesn't have control over his administration, there have been many cringe episodes in the last months... I really don't think there's any way to rescue his candidacy. I kind of feel sorry for him, honestly. He is a senile (millionaire) old man and people are taking advatange of him more than he realizes, I fearย :skull:

Edited by Lil Mxnster

17 minutes ago, Gottasadae said:

I expected a lot more than 2% dropย :giraffe:

People's concerns about Biden's age/cognitive abilities were already mostly priced in to the pre-debate polls. People seem to already be forgetting that the pre-debate polls, with the exception of a few outliers, were generally very bad for Biden's re-election chances. They were already bad because most people already found Biden's age/cognition to be disqualifying.ย 
ย 

A 2% drop which brings you from +8 to +6 is a very different story than a 2% drop which brings you from -1 to -3. Any meaningful drop is bad for Biden because his polling average staying the same would have already been bad for him. His polling needs to be actively improving.ย 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, shelven said:

People's concerns about Biden's age/cognitive abilities were already mostly priced in to the pre-debate polls. People seem to already be forgetting that the pre-debate polls, with the exception of a few outliers, were generally very bad for Biden's re-election chances. They were already bad because most people already found Biden's age/cognition to be disqualifying.ย 
ย 

A 2% drop which brings you from +8 to +6 is a very different story than a 2% drop which brings you from -1 to -3. Any meaningful drop is bad for Biden because his polling average staying the same would have already been bad for him. His polling needs to be actively improving.ย 

Like the issue isn't "wow the debate didn't drop *that* much," it's that already being down, does he have the capacity to turn it around and he just absolutely doesn'tย 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, choerry said:

It seems like the ABC interview will be critical.

It's now or never, either he drops out or convince the base he still can do itย :gaycat2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.