2024 US Election Megathread πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ›οΈ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.Β 
Β 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.Β 

• Replies 25.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermillion

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

https://x.com/politics_polls/status/1808173452056043594?s=46
Β 

harris polling better than Biden, same cnn poll

Call me KHive. Let me wax poetic about how Bidenites won't support Biden stepping down cause they don't want to see black women shine.Β 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Β 

Maybe after this the floodgates will start opening

• Like 2

Another resignation at the Biden administration over Gaza

Β 

administration in shambles

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Β 

I agree with this as well. Anyone calling on Biden to step down need to also call on Kamala to step up. All this Whitmer, Newsome etc talk needs to stop unless Dems want an even bigger mess.Β 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ZeroSuitBritney said:

Another resignation at the Biden administration over Gaza

Β 

administration in shambles

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

If Biden were to step down do we have any alternatives that don't have blood on their hands? Trying to think of who would be best!

Edited by bunnyeyes
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tovitov said:

FWIW, the polls are likely to be awful for Biden just like they were awful for Obama and Trump after thier first debates flops. We need to wait a few weeks to see if there was an actual change.Β 

ThisΒ :gaycat2:Β I think, dems have a few weeks before Convention to fully analyze the data and finally decide - either Biden keep running or will be replaced with Kamala plus fresh blood.Β 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sazare said:

I sure can say that. Replacing Biden would be a nightmare both in terms of finances and optics, and would arguably be undemocratic. As far as I know, only Kamala as a replacement would be able to access the hundreds of millions they've raised for the presidential campaign, and very few people seem to be suggesting Kamala be the new candidate. And any other candidate picked by the DNC would risk alienating large swaths of the Democratic base for effectively a) passing over a woman of color for the spot, and b) installing a candidate nobody voted for on the whims of the party elite.

Β 

Voters' memories are fickle and the election is still four months away β€” this debate performance can easily blow over, and honestly debates don't matter as much as you think they do anyway. Reagan had dementia by the end of his first term and still won 49 of 50 states (!!!!).

Keeping Biden on the ticket and staying course is what created an optics nightmare and Biden can donate his funds to a PAC who can then fund the new nominee, or I think Kamala can stay on the ticket as VP to access the funds. There are work arounds to these issues, and you're ignoring the upsides a fresh candidate has.Β 

11 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Keeping Biden on the ticket and staying course is what created an optics nightmare and Biden can donate his funds to a PAC who can then fund the new nominee, or I think Kamala can stay on the ticket as VP to access the funds. There are work arounds to these issues, and you're ignoring the upsides a fresh candidate has.Β 

I think there's very little upside to the DNC installing an untested replacement candidate that nobody has voted for, not just this late in the game but even in general. It's undemocratic and it risks alienating far more people than it placates.

Β 

Yes, Biden shouldn't have been on the ticket, as I've already said, but that's who people voted for in the primaries and we can't relitigate those now. The best we can hope for is that he steps down after reinauguration.

Edited by Sazare

Marianne Williamson's gonna manifest her way right into the White House.Β 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Sazare said:

I think there's very little upside to the DNC installing an untested replacement candidate that nobody has voted for, not just this late in the game but even in general. It's undemocratic and it risks alienating far more people than it placates.

Β 

Yes, Biden shouldn't have been on the ticket, as I've already said, but that's who people voted for in the primaries. The best we can hope for is that he steps after reinauguration.

Then they should go with someone who received half a million votes in the primaries.Β 
Β 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

Just now, GraceRandolph said:

Then they should go with someone who received half a million votes in the primaries.Β 
Β 

spacer.png

True, and I'm one of that half-million :heart2:

Why was my post hidden? :rip:Β What's the point of a hidden post if the poster can't even access it

Β 

Β 

Β 

I meant to post this and say that it seems like the ball is rolling with the governor meeting and the rep coming out to say Biden should step down. Elliot Morris even thinks there's a 40% chance of Kamala being the nominee now.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Blade said:

Why was my post hidden? :rip:Β What's the point of a hidden post if the poster can't even access it

Β 

Β 

Β 

I meant to post this and say that it seems like the ball is rolling with the governor meeting and the rep coming out to say Biden should step down. Elliot Morris even thinks there's a 40% chance of Kamala being the nominee now.

Anointing Kamala seems like a mess. They need to make it a (somewhat) democratic process.Β 

The fact that we don't even have Trump's VP yet is a nightmare. He'll probably announce it day of or after his sentencing to distract the media.

42 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Β 

spacer.png

If you're being serious then yea the Biden step down movement is over alreadyΒ 

If this election really becomes the 1968 presidential election all over again like people were predicting in 2021Β :rip:(without the assassinations)Β 

Β 

Kamala is about to becomeΒ Hubert Humphrey 2.0Β 

Β 

The 1968 Democratic Convention was also in ChicagoΒ 

• Like 1

They would need to do something like an actual real roll call vote on the convention floor of all the released delegates and, if Kamala won (she likely would due to party pressure), argue that she'd automatically make her VP be the person with the next most delegates so people feel it was some kind of elected process.Β 

Β 

Harris' campaign basically failed in 2020 because she had no political identity and swayed between progressive ans centrist whenever her aides told her to play a new side. She would need to run to Biden's left and frame herself as a solidly progressive lib answer to defeating Donald Trump.Β 

Β 

She's extremely charismatic yet was deeply untrusted due to not displaying remorse for her top cop past and switching positions faster than she could talk. She would need to carve out an actual identity of who Kamala Harris is.Β 

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Blade said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

We're about to fall out of the coconut tree :jonny:

Why would they run Kamala though? It's clear they need to distance themselves from Biden's toxic political brand, not give voters another round.Β 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.