2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

1 hour ago, dman4life said:

I just don't see a scenario where Trump even does a second debate I really don't. It's ironic that by not stepping down Biden comes off more selfish than even Trump wtfย :deadbanana4:

Trump really shouldn't for his best interest. If he wants to win, he should let that be the only debateย 

• Replies 24.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, whiteferrari said:

Trump really shouldn't for his best interest. If he wants to win, he should let that be the only debateย 

Lol knowing his damaged Ego, he's not gonna skip the next Debates, unless something unexpected will happen with his court cases.

:deadbanana4:

ย 

Trump's chance of winning November's presidential election now at new high at around 55%, according to RCP data

President Joe Biden's chances of winning this year's White House race appear to have tumbled in the wake of his widely panned performance in Thursday night's debate against presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump.

Former Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri was among Biden's critics, as she made this point to MSNBC: "He had one thing he had to accomplish, and that was reassure America that he was up to the job at his age, and he failed at that."

The 81-year-old Democratic president now has a 19% chance of being re-elected in November, according to an average of betting markets provided by RealClearPolitics.

As shown in the chart above, that's down from 36% Wednesday and is the lowest level so far in RCP's data, which goes back to January 2023.

Trump's chance of winning this November's election has risen to 55%, up from 52% on Wednesday and a new high, according to the betting markets tracked by RCP.

https://www.morningstar.com/news/marketwatch/20240628296/debate-aftermath-betting-markets-put-bidens-chance-of-re-election-at-new-low-while-newsom-gains

ย 

https://www.realclearpolling.com/betting-odds/2024/president

I hate this country. I really do lol.

ย 

Trump spewing absolute nonsense and buzzwords. But of course all the public (and seemingly ATRL) will care about was Biden sounding rough. Cleary he has some cold at the moment. What he was saying was mostly totally sound. Some of you seem to genuinely WANT Trump in office which is absolutely abhorrent, just to make a point that Biden has been a failure. One is a bad option, the other is absolutely dangerous to our country... shouldn't be a hard decision.

• Like 1

The hubris of these operatives to rely on this debate as their barometer to ask him to leave.

ย 

I don't believe the conspiracy this timing was deliberate but still.

ย 

All of this was so predictable. I don't have the energy to be shocked or depressed about it.

1 hour ago, Redstreak said:

Nothing makes sense to me anymore ๐Ÿ’€

While obviously Biden did horrible, people online are overreacting insanely to a bad debate ๐Ÿ’€ Like it's obviously bad and I'm not arguing it wasn't, but anyone who thinks this is going to be what changes the election is stuck in an emotional panic state still. The media for sure is eating up the grip they now have on people's fears, the ultimate engagement producer. They are going to promote that as much as possible now for views and money.

ย 

Debates historically do almost nothing and this will be forgotten so fast. They have plenty of time to recover from this. People also think reactions = votes flipping or staying home when we have no measure of all this noise besides some quick snap polls. Biden supporters and Trump supporters will remain as such. Biden looked decrepit af but Trump also was Trump. He avoided many questions and said many unpopular things. Also we don't even have measure of those not paying attention. The online world can be so distorting of reality and what matters. I even expect some short term polls drops, but this is hardly the end ๐Ÿ˜‚ most of the time people complaining were never going to vote for him anyway so their opinion means really nothing. Very few opinions actually matter right now

While obviously Biden did horrible, people online are overreacting insanely to a bad debate ๐Ÿ’€ Like it's obviously bad and I'm not arguing it wasn't, but anyone who thinks this is going to be what changes the election is stuck in an emotional panic state still. The media for sure is eating up the grip they now have on people's fears, the ultimate engagement producer. They are going to promote that as much as possible now for views and money.

ย 

Debates historically do almost nothing and this will be forgotten so fast. They have plenty of time to recover from this. People also think reactions = votes flipping or staying home when we have no measure of all this noise besides some quick snap polls. Biden supporters and Trump supporters will remain as such. Biden looked decrepit af but Trump also was Trump. He avoided many questions and said many unpopular things. Also we don't even have measure of those not paying attention. The online world can be so distorting of reality and what matters. I even expect some short term polls drops, but this is hardly the end ๐Ÿ˜‚ most of the time people complaining were never going to vote for him anyway so their opinion means really nothing. Very few opinions actually matter right now

ย 

ย 

1 hour ago, Hex said:

I hate this country. I really do lol.

ย 

Trump spewing absolute nonsense and buzzwords. But of course all the public (and seemingly ATRL) will care about was Biden sounding rough. Cleary he has some cold at the moment. What he was saying was mostly totally sound. Some of you seem to genuinely WANT Trump in office which is absolutely abhorrent, just to make a point that Biden has been a failure. One is a bad option, the other is absolutely dangerous to our country... shouldn't be a hard decision.

Nobody here wants Trumpt to win, I'm casting my vote for Biden no matter what in November but Biden needed to come out and look strong and not muddle his thoughts and he was incapable of doing that. Everything Trump says is an outlandish lie but that's all his base does so it dosen't affect him at all.

3 hours ago, Communion said:

You thinking the issue to COVID was...the government doing too much? Dear God help us all.ย 

I think Obama's ban on gain of function research hindered the Chinese research that created COVID. They had no access to what research the US had done before the ban and there was no US funds going to such research in Wuhan. Trump was conned by Fauci into rescinding that ban. I think Hillary would have too.ย  It's fact that US funds found their way to Wuhan after Trump rescinded that ban. Two years later we had COVID. Maybe Hillary would have had a better response. But, we may never had to face COVID if those funds hadn't found their way to Wuhan.

Let me send Biden five dollars I cannot let that evil cheeto man win

2 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

Nobody here wants Trumpt to win, I'm casting my vote for Biden no matter what in November but Biden needed to come out and look strong and not muddle his thoughts and he was incapable of doing that. Everything Trump says is an outlandish lie but that's all his base does so it dosen't affect him at all.

I agree. Sick or not, Biden didn't sound fully coherent. At the end of the day, we're voting for an administration.

ย 

That said there ARE indeed people on this site and across leftist spaces on social media that want to see the Democrats fail. They are opting to not vote or throw it away to a third party - selfish behavior.ย 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hex said:

I agree. Sick or not, Biden didn't sound fully coherent. At the end of the day, we're voting for an administration.

ย 

That said there ARE indeed people on this site and across leftist spaces on social media that want to see the Democrats fail. They are opting to not vote or throw it away to a third party - selfish behavior.ย 

Incredibly selfsish and the women and minorities that suffer because of it will be their fault

Suddenly the Dem establishment is too nice to ask Biden to sit out because he's a sweet old man. Why not pretend he's a progressive and do to him what they did to Bernie and other progressives?

• ATRL Moderator
51 minutes ago, If U Seek Amy said:

ย 

This would make sense if Biden were a good candidate. But he's a historically bad candidate. He has a record low approval rating for an incumbent president with most voters being notably concerned about his age, competence, and general lucidity. This debate performance was remarkably bad because it shattered the lie that Biden is sharp as hell and the concerns about his fitness to serve are misplaced.

ย 

This was not a normal bad debate performance. This is a uniquely bad showing for a candidate that barely engages with the public as is. He famously avoided the most softball interview available for an incumbent president, which is the Super Bowl interview. They're hiding him because of what we saw last night and now voters can very plainly see that.

• Thanks 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.