2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

• ATRL Moderator
34 minutes ago, Augmented said:

So admittedly I don't really know much about US politics but I like to keep up when it's election stuff. Is it even possible for Biden to step down like is that a thing that can happen? If so is there even a system in place to allow a transition to a new candidate? Can anything even be done in 5 months with a new person in place? Genuinely really intrigued by it all tbh.

It is a thing that can happen. But, Biden is a grumpy, arrogant old man. He's not going to. Obama is the only person that would be able to convince him.ย 

ย 

Ironically, the Democratic Party's primary has a thing called "super delegates". These are party higher-ups that help decide who should be the candidate without any need to be based on voters. The DNC argues they exist in the case of an emergency, like this current scenario. But, the Democratic Party didย suchย an effective job at rigging the primary process to nominate the next candidate (e.g., shutting down primary elections altogether in some states and refusing to allow a debate) that Biden has enough pledged delegates that the super delegates do not make a difference. They could all switch to another candidate and Biden would still be the nominee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 24.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, nadiamendell said:

Biden is clearly surrounded by yes-men who are likely just telling him everything is ok while he takes a nap in the corner and THEY run the country. Of course they don't want him to step aside, because then they would be giving up their own power. It's disgusting to see.ย 

It's worse than that. Biden is surrounded by people whose careers are based on the fact that he is president. Their careers hit a massive wall if/when Biden is no longer president. They have all the incentive in the world to put puppet strings on Biden's corpse and gaslight us all into thinking he's up for the job.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bloo said:

It is a thing that can happen. But, Biden is a grumpy, arrogant old man. He's not going to. Obama is the only person that would be able to convince him.ย 

ย 

Ironically, the Democratic Party's primary has a thing called "super delegates". These are party higher-ups that help decide who should be the candidate without any need to be based on voters. The DNC argues they exist in the case of an emergency, like this current scenario. But, the Democratic Party didย suchย an effective job at rigging the primary process to nominate the next candidate (e.g., shutting down primary elections altogether in some states and refusing to allow a debate) that Biden has enough pledged delegates that the super delegates do not make a difference. They could all switch to another candidate and Biden would still be the nominee.

What's funny is the the Obamas are nowhere near for this election. That's all anyone needed to see to know that Biden was not fit. I want to know who is really pushing Biden to run.

The fact that Barret of all people is coming off as the most moderate conservative justice on the SC is the biggest shock to me. I would have thought it was going to be Kavanaugh. But the way Barret is fighting with Alito and Thomas on every opinion is wild.

Seeing all these piss poor Obama v. Romney 1st debate comparisons re: Dem operative response online. They're not even close scenarios.

ย 

ย 

18 minutes ago, Espresso said:

ย 

That sore throat magically cleared up at the event he went to right after?

6 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

That sore throat magically cleared up at the event he went to right after?

This. I also saw the video of his event post Debates and he sounds good, clearly answering all the questions, it's like they secretly charged him after:giraffe:

At this point, I don't think there will even be a second debate. Biden's campaign can't risk putting him onย stage again and will be spending the rest of the summer trying to repair the damage from last night. And Trump has no reason to show up to another debate, he was just given the biggest gift imaginable by his opponent.ย 

8 minutes ago, PoisonPill said:

At this point, I don't think there will even be a second debate. Biden's campaign can't risk putting him onย stage again and will be spending the rest of the summer trying to repair the damage from last night. And Trump has no reason to show up to another debate, he was just given the biggest gift imaginable by his opponent.ย 

If anything I don't see why he wouldn't be begging for one. The idea of getting another easy headline win, or being able to call Biden a coward for not wanting a second debate. It would be a win-win either way if he pushed heavy for a second one

it'll pass eventually, but god those decisions this morning made me so nauseous. totally unsurprising, but disappointing all the same

• Like 1

Nothing makes sense to me anymore ๐Ÿ’€

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.