2024 US Election Megathread 🇺🇸🏛️

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore. 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone. 

5 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

There is no normal candidate. Trump is very skillful at destroying his opponents reputations. Who ever runs against Trump gets their name dragged through the mud. Look at every person that ran against him in the 2016 Republican primary, most of their careers ended or were damaged. He is ruthless. 

Trump would dismantle Pritzker and Whitmer in one month

…unlike Biden who dismantles himself every time he opens his mouth? Trump's ability to deconstruct someone like Whitmer would be hindered by his current legal battles, and a change up would at least renew some interest in the election. 

• Replies 22.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

There is no normal candidate. Trump is very skillful at destroying his opponents reputations. Who ever runs against Trump gets their name dragged through the mud. Look at every person that ran against him in the 2016 Republican primary, most of their careers ended or were damaged. He is ruthless. 

Trump would dismantle Pritzker and Whitmer in one month

Yup not to mention these candidate would not satisfy the ones on the left who dislike Biden either. 

They are literally politically identical. 

2 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

Yup not to mention these candidate would not satisfy the ones on the left who dislike Biden either. 

They are literally politically identical. 

Why is running a non-corporate candidate never on the table? I think the average corporate Dem might be slightly to the left of Biden on several key issues though tbf. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Why is running a non-corporate candidate never on the table? I think the average corporate Dem might be slightly to the left of Biden on several key issues though tbf. 

They can run. But it's up to them to persuade the Democratic voting base to back them and actually vote for them. And so far they haven't been able to do that. 

but when it comes to someone like Whitmer, Pritzker, Newsom, Beshear, Michelle Obama ect (insert any name really) they would all face the same  blow back that Biden is receiving now. 

Edited by GhostBox

3 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

They can run. But it's up to them to persuade the Democratic voting base to back them and actually vote for them. And so far they haven't been able to do that. 

but when it comes to someone like Whitmer, Pritzker, Newsom, Beshear, Michelle Obama ect (insert any name really) they would all face the same  blow back that Biden is receiving now. 

Biden's age and memory issues are unique to him and a very big negative. Look at how voters in 2020 saw Biden as more competent than Trump now in 2024 saying Trump is more competent. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Biden's age and memory issues are unique to him and a very big negative. Look at how voters in 2020 saw Biden as more competent than Trump now in 2024 saying Trump is more competent. 

I understand that. Biden has gotten physically and mentally older since 2020. That sucks. But it's also a fact Biden's old age troubles have been given far more media attention than Trumps  (who has been having the same issues at the same speed since 2020). So I'm not surprised they think one is more competent than the other when they are fed the constant "Biden's old and can't walk" narrative on a daily basis in the media and social media. 

this isn't something unique to Biden either. In 2016 Hillary had pneumonia and the media acted like she was dying. 😂

Edited by GhostBox

There's no point re-litigating this since the only way Biden won't be the nominee is if he dies (and then it will be Harris), but for what it's worth, I really struggle to see the argument that someone like Whitmer wouldn't have a significantly better chance of winning than Biden and would likely be quite strongly favoured to win right now. High quality polling over the last several months keeps showing over and over again that Biden has a unique electability problem right now that the rest of the Democratic party isn't facing. And even if Whitmer wasn't some magical golden candidate, she'd easily hold onto the Rust Belt which is all the Dem nominee needs to get an (albeit narrow) EC win.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

I understand that. Biden has gotten physically and mentally older since 2020. That sucks. But it's also a fact Biden's old age troubles have been given far more media attention than Trumps  (who has been having the same issues at the same speed since 2020). So I'm not surprised they think one is more competent than the other when they are fed the constant "Biden's old and can't walk" narrative on a daily basis in the media and social media. 

this isn't something unique to Biden either. In 2016 Hillary had pneumonia and the media acted like she was dying. 😂

Trump's base doesn't care and I hate to admit it but Trump is of sounder mind than Biden. 

I'm shocked that wanting to swap out the most unpopular incumbent president in decades is controversial. :skull:

Nevada being Trump +13 in that NYT poll  :deadbanana4:

7 hours ago, shelven said:

There's no point re-litigating this since the only way Biden won't be the nominee is if he dies (and then it will be Harris), but for what it's worth, I really struggle to see the argument that someone like Whitmer wouldn't have a significantly better chance of winning than Biden and would likely be quite strongly favoured to win right now. High quality polling over the last several months keeps showing over and over again that Biden has a unique electability problem right now that the rest of the Democratic party isn't facing. And even if Whitmer wasn't some magical golden candidate, she'd easily hold onto the Rust Belt which is all the Dem nominee needs to get an (albeit narrow) EC win.

There's the slightest part of me that still hopes he'll step down during the convention because it really was dumb for him to run again, especially since he said early on he'd only do one term. The problem now is if Kamala doesn't get her shot I can see that pissing off a chunk of people and I think she'd do even worse

Finally get to vote in the WV primary today for Biden 🎉 not that it matters anyway 😂

Posted (edited)

😂

Edited by GhostBox

40 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

Nevada being Trump +13 in that NYT poll  :deadbanana4:

Nevada is notoriously piss-poor re: polling generally. I just go by Jon Ralston who's implied Trump will win the state by a narrow margin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Espresso said:

:deadvision:

💀

Of course :rip: 

Omg! He knows something we don't! 

We are so going to win!

spacer.png

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.