2024 US Election Megathread 🇺🇸🏛️

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore. 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone. 

1 minute ago, JBJT2786 said:

She wouldn't even be nominated in this country if that happened. We have a democracy. Your question makes no sense. I'm not closing my eyes on something so stupid that has nothing to do with the actual election. 

As for the actual issue you're addressing I'll go back to what I said on the thread:

I get it. You're  upset neither one of our candidates are good when it comes to YOUR issue. But if you think for one second  not voting is an option for us you have another thing coming. As much as I sympathize with the Palestinians and wanted a ceasefire and NETANYAHU  goes to jail as much as Hamas, I also have issues in this country that will effect my family and friends if a Trump presidency goes through. So because our government system is messed up and any option wouldn't be a good one cuz its clear there's a bunch of Israeli influence in this country, I'm picking Harris anyway.

Let that post rest in peace :wave:

The End

• Thumbs Down 2

• Replies 48k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermillion

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

1 hour ago, aadrl1 said:

Let that post rest in peace :wave:

The End

I know I needed to get my piece across and I'll probably ignore whatever nonsense is said next.

It's too serious considering with Project 2025 to change my vote at this point. At least I feel better with Harris/Walz and the best we can do to keep pressuring our government to drop support of Israel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, JBJT2786 said:

She wouldn't even be nominated in this country if that happened. We have a democracy. Your question makes no sense. I'm not closing my eyes on something so stupid that has nothing to do with the actual election. 

As for the actual issue you're addressing I'll go back to what I said on the thread:

I get it. You're  upset neither one of our candidates are good when it comes to YOUR issue. But if you think for one second  not voting is an option for us you have another thing coming. As much as I sympathize with the Palestinians and wanted a ceasefire and NETANYAHU  goes to jail as much as Hamas, I also have issues in this country that will effect my family and friends if a Trump presidency goes through. So because our government system is messed up and any option wouldn't be a good one cuz its clear there's a bunch of Israeli influence in this country, I'm picking Harris anyway.

Is it maybe that you're refusing to answer a hypothetical question because it would push you into confronting the reality that American Democrats (who allegedly support Palestine/Palestinians) still value their domestic policy over the lives of Palestinians?

I'm not accusing you of that personally (don't want the mods flagging me for being uncivil), but I'll leave it as food for thought that if the genocide was occurring in your backyard (or even somewhere like Paris), the response of the American leftist electorate would be significantly different.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 7

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I do tend to agree with this. Why let this continue to be a talking point? Perhaps it isn't so much that her lack of it is a major issue for voters (because it won't be), but that it opens the door to criticism that props up a larger narrative. It's not like she hasn't been discussing proposals at speeches and rallies, and I also don't think there's an expectation that she be extensively detailed (which I agree could present issues). It's just standard to lay out your campaign's goals. 

I'm worried that it'll become a bigger deal than it needs to be if it's brought up during the debate and Trump directs people to that fake policy page, because it's not like they'll have anywhere else to look :toofunny2: (which is a possibility one of you brought up a few weeks back). 

(Ig i view it as being similar to the "she can't hold an interview" criticism; it was silly but not something that had to persist. The antidote was obvious. But at least I knew she'd hold an interview eventually, whereas idk what's up with the page and thought it'd be rolled out after the DNC) 

Edited by Parachutes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, heckinglovato said:

We were asked to remain civil and move the discussion to the election thread, happy to!

Let me ask the question again: would you still vote for Kamala over Trump if she was facilitating the bombing of African Americans in the United States? (I know it's hypothetical - but close your eyes and imagine, you can do it girlies)

I think this is a fair question more people should consider before getting triggered and shutting down, but my answer is: Definitely not.

But like I said before, I wouldn't deny any Palestinian protester telling me I'm voting for a genocide, cause I am. I've acknowledged that. But I am voting with the privilege that I have to preserve my own rights, whether Trump will take them or not, the risk is there and unfortunately I'm just not willing to take that risk with the inevitability of one side winning and both sides being pro-genocide. 

If Kamala was facilitating the bombing of African Americans in the US, I would lose that self-preservation rationale because even though I am not Black, much like non-Palestinians in Gaza, the US under a Kamala administration will gladly kill indiscriminately to achieve their goal, so I cannot be certain I wouldn't be killed along with African Americans as collateral. 

To go even further, if Kamala were only targeting Muslims in Europe and the EU was permitting this in a strange parallel universe, I would still have to vote no because that massive change in the status quo would likely cause worldwide instability that wouldn't benefit me in any way, with Europe being leveled. 

The Middle East being leveled is… the status quo. A disgusting pill to swallow, and one I wish to see disappear. I know the US will inevitably have to pay the price for the atrocities it committed and the enemies it's created. But there's a side of me that operates in ideals and a side of me that operates with the reality I'm faced with. I feel in this instance, I simply must vote for Kamala given that I live in a swing state and I am a young male voter. However, if someone else were to scream names of the victims of Israel's disregard for human life or tell me they're refusing to vote for Kamala because they can't support genocide, I wouldn't argue with either. Use your vote and your voice how you wish, and if you're advocating against genocide with it, then I 100% support that and wouldn't try to convince someone not supporting a genocide state to vote for said state maintaining power.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, heckinglovato said:

Is it maybe that you're refusing to answer a hypothetical question because it would push you into confronting the reality that American Democrats (who allegedly support Palestine/Palestinians) still value their domestic policy over the lives of Palestinians?

Do you realize I'm supposed to value the lives of my own family and friends before the lives of others? The Democrats should be focused on domestic policy because that's why we voted for them in the first place!!!!

And again it's a scenario I'm not needing to think of because I live in a democracy.  A shitty one but a democracy nonetheless. And you know the answer already (of course not) so it's a dumb question.

You said it yourself in the thread, you had to deal with the USs support of Israel all your life. My question to you is do you really think anything is gonna change regardless of who vote for? And if not, they why even cared about who we're voting for if nothing gonna change?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Again I've said it before but the normal American voter doesn't give a **** about a policy page on  a website 💀

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

I think this is a fair question more people should consider before getting triggered and shutting down, but my answer is: Definitely not.

But like I said before, I wouldn't deny any Palestinian protester telling me I'm voting for a genocide, cause I am. I've acknowledged that. But I am voting with the privilege that I have to preserve my own rights, whether Trump will take them or not, the risk is there and unfortunately I'm just not willing to take that risk with the inevitability of one side winning and both sides being pro-genocide. 

If Kamala was facilitating the bombing of African Americans in the US, I would lose that self-preservation rationale because even though I am not Black, much like non-Palestinians in Gaza, the US under a Kamala administration will gladly kill indiscriminately to achieve their goal, so I cannot be certain I wouldn't be killed along with African Americans as collateral. 

To go even further, if Kamala were only targeting Muslims in Europe and the EU was permitting this in a strange parallel universe, I would still have to vote no because that massive change in the status quo would likely cause worldwide instability that wouldn't benefit me in any way, with Europe being leveled. 

The Middle East being leveled is… the status quo. A disgusting pill to swallow, and one I wish to see disappear. I know the US will inevitably have to pay the price for the atrocities it committed and the enemies it's created. But there's a side of me that operates in ideals and a side of me that operates with the reality I'm faced with. I feel in this instance, I simply must vote for Kamala given that I live in a swing state and I am a young male voter. However, if someone else were to scream names of the victims of Israel's disregard for human life or tell me they're refusing to vote for Kamala because they can't support genocide, I wouldn't argue with either. Use your vote and your voice how you wish, and if you're advocating against genocide with it, then I 100% support that and wouldn't try to convince someone not supporting a genocide state to vote for said state maintaining power.

I respect an honest answer that I wish others could admit to confronting. 

One that disgusts me for dismissing the ethnic cleansing of my people as status quo, but an honest one nonetheless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, JBJT2786 said:

The Democrats should be focused on domestic policy because that's why we voted for them in the first place!!!!

Except they're not. When it comes to domestic policy, they are completely paralyzed because there is always a rotating villain in their own party that aligns more with Republicans and votes a certain way to make sure that progress is never achieved. Democrats purposely watered down Obamacare in order to seek bipartisan votes and they earned not even a single vote of Republican support, leaving us with an ineffective zombie of a healthcare system that only just barely helps enough people that nobody wants to rip it out and overhaul it the way it's desperately needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, GhostBox said:

Again I've said it before but the normal American voter doesn't give a **** about a policy page on  a website 💀

This!!! The fact people are acting like this is a major issue highlights the spin being thrown at her campaign to see what sticks and knocks the momentum down a peg.

I seriously doubt this'll do damage in the long run. I just can't wait for the debate at this point cuz hopefully her eviscerating Trump on stage during the debate might change the tide completely. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

"I can't WAIT to see her eviscerate Trump on the debate stage!"

She's been horrendously BAD in every debate she's ever participated in. And that rehearsed "that little girl was me" line turned out to be a completely fake throwaway line that meant absolutely nothing the moment she accepted being the runningmate of someone she called a segregationist on stage. :ahh: 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Except they're not. When it comes to domestic policy, they are completely paralyzed because there is always a rotating villain in their own party that aligns more with Republicans and votes a certain way to make sure that progress is never achieved. Democrats purposely watered down Obamacare in order to seek bipartisan votes and they earned not even a single vote of Republican support, leaving us with an ineffective zombie of a healthcare system that only just barely helps enough people that nobody wants to rip it out and overhaul it the way it's desperately needed.

I know all this. My response is literally to them asking if thinking I'm valuing my own family and friends safety and self preservation over foreign lives is a bad thing..

Nate Silvers dooming about the state polling really doenst make much sense. Like today he is saying her standing in Michigan is dwindling as fast as PA yet she just got a +5 poll from CNN 😂

I now he's still putting alot of weight on the right leaning polls but come on 💀

2 minutes ago, heckinglovato said:

I respect an honest answer that I wish others could admit to confronting. 

One that disgusts me for dismissing the ethnic cleansing of my people as status quo, but an honest one nonetheless.

It's sad, I don't have anything to say to that in my defense. It's the reality and it tastes like dirt to say. If the status quo were elsewhere, like Ukraine for example if Russia was a US ally, my answer would remain the same. I just want to be clear that while I have no personal prejudice against Palestinians, I want to be open with how I acknowledge what my vote means and what it says— that bombing the Middle East, Palestine in this instance, is the status quo for both major parties in the US. I don't get to just vote for my own preservation then wipe my hands clean, even if I disagree with the candidate I vote for.

I'll keep supporting protests in my area and donating to Gaza relief. I hope one day that's no longer needed, but I respect you calling all of this out and being persistent in that. We have the privilege of feeling uncomfortable at worst when we have these conversations, and we should. Others don't get that privilege.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

"I can't WAIT to see her eviscerate Trump on the debate stage!"

She's been horrendously BAD in every debate she's ever participated in. And that rehearsed "that little girl was me" line turned out to be a completely fake throwaway line that meant absolutely nothing the moment she accepted being the runningmate of someone she called a segregationist on stage. :ahh: 

She did pretty good against Pence. 

I don't think the debates going to be some big home run for Harris because frankly the media won't allow that. 

Edited by GhostBox
  • Like 4

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JBJT2786 said:

Do you realize I'm supposed to value the lives of my own family and friends before the lives of others?

This is just a refusal to engage in the reality that all Americans engage in and benefit from barbarism and hegemony. 

Trump could not harm you as deeply as all American leaders harm those abroad, specifically Palestinians. 

Americans can vote for whoever.we want without lying to ourselves that our votes are done out of some goodness. 

Peoppe should question why the people of a nation who maintains its empire status through brute force should not be burdened continously with the rot they help sew and bring about around the world. 

Should Russians not be burdened by the reality that their quality of life is contigent on the suffering of Ukrainians?

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 4

I want to hear more from Kamala on what she's going to do with the economy or the border crisis. Like actual policies, not platitudes (there's a difference). I already know her foreign policy will be a disaster so I'm not even gonna bother going down that rabbit hole. If she can't give any concrete policy that makes sense, I'll probably just stick to my local elections which are much more tangible anyway (and should taken as seriously as the presidential race). 

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

She did pretty good against Pence. 

I don't think the debates going to be some big home run for Harris because frankly the media won't allow that. 

She wasn't especially compelling back then either. Pence himself wasn't exactly an astute debater, and they were both kind of overshadowed by a fly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.