2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

• Replies 25.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermillion

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

Kamala has been broadly hated for 3 years (I believe unfairly) and now democrats are so desperate for an alternative they are trying to sell her as a good replacement. Even in this thread people have been saying for years that she would never be able to win a general election and that was under the assumption of normal conditions. Tagging her in at the last possible minute without any primary vote is going to be a disaster.

ย 

But keeping Biden in also seems like a disaster. It's a no win situation.ย 
ย 

As a homosexual, I would love for them to put Kamala up for some slay queen moments. She is the undisputed political meme queen. But realistically, Biden is probably staying in. Especially if Hunter and Jill are pressuring him toย 

From a tweet I saw it's less energy for Kamala and more energy for the idea that the democrats would finally do something unprecedented to match the rhetoric they keep trying to sell us on. It's worse than demoralizing for the Supreme Court to declare presidents above law and Biden's strongest pushback is "well I disagree"

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
9 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

again I hate being the only one grounded in reality here but ๐Ÿคท someone has to do it.ย 

Babe, you're not. Do you read any of what we talk about in here? The majority of people in here know Joe Biden is a self-absorbed narcissist that will stay in and screw over the country.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

again I hate being the only one grounded in reality here but ๐Ÿคท someone has to do it.ย 

Respectfully, no candidate who has ever dropped out has said they were thinking of dropping out.

• Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Redstreak said:

It's worse than demoralizing for the Supreme Court to declare presidents above law and Biden's strongest pushback is "well I disagree"

"Well, I disagree and I willย notย consider expanding the courts."

ย 

Again, he's a dreadfully bad candidate. Biden'sย onlyย selling point in 2020 was that people felt he was a safe bet to beat Trump. That's it. That sense of security of beating Trump doesn't exist with Biden anymore. He is widely disdained and unable to speak in complete sentences without a teleprompter. There is nothing compelling about him, but this is the circus we find ourselves in because the (supposedly) "pro-Democracy" party decided to shut down Democratic processes from nominating someone people like.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Living To Tell said:

ย 

The media has shown its true face this past week. I guess that's what poor ratings does to them.ย 
ย 

ย 

Biden/Harris coming for that 270-268 win and the media will eat crow ๐Ÿซก

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

• ATRL Moderator

If Biden drops out, itโ€™ll be due to a โ€œmedical emergencyโ€ and he will always indicate his interest in running until that happens. If Biden steps aside voluntarily or indictes itโ€™s on his mind, itโ€™ll be a signal to Democrats and the GP that they realize heโ€™s a poor candidate and that wouldnโ€™t be received well imo.ย 

8 minutes ago, Communion said:

Yeah. But why she was hated as VP (White House staff leaking stories where they trash her as incompetent) isn't exactly why progressives took issue with her when running for president.ย 

ย 

The main issue I can remember that sticks out as her time as VP is how she handled migration but I also think she was also following Biden's guidance on the issue.ย 

ย 

For me, I still need to see her prove capable of a prog-lib candidacy. And I would get if people upset over Gaza still wouldn't be able to vote for her if she sent bombs with a frown vs Biden doing so with a smile. I just think she is the only name out of all being listed who has ever tried to court progressives and think progressives can exploit that if she finds her name in consideration.ย 

She is in an awful position. Centrists think she is too progressive and progressives think she is too right. Like you mentioned earlier, she has no political identity and she has had no time to develop one.ย 
ย 

Voters have no clue who she is. In a normal successful primary should could have had the chance to establish her identity, but randomly throwing her on top of the ticket 4 months before the election does not give her that opportunity. She will have to run completely on Biden's record

1 hour ago, Aston Martin said:

The threat of this and the rest of Project 2025 is the exact reason we should replace Biden who is 100% guaranteed to lose in November. Let's prioritize the rights and safety of the American public instead of one man's feelings.ย 

Ok, where's the guarantees that Kamala with someone else have at least a slightly chance to beat Trump, we can't rely only on polls and take it like grantedย :giraffe:

1 hour ago, shyboi said:

Page 1000 feels less of an achievement when certain user been spamming random tweets like there's no tomorrow

ย 

ย :clack:

You can call me out by name, it's fine. The tweets are on subject so I'm not sure where the notion they're random's coming from. The mods established a long time ago this thread wasn't just for discussion as a thread on every new news point wasn't tenable.

ย 

If it was one of the more consistent visitors here making this criticism I'd take it more seriously. But you only started showing up here regularly since what, two weeks ago?ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

The media has shown its true face this past week. I guess that's what poor ratings does to them.ย 
ย 

ย 

Biden/Harris coming for that 270-268 win and the media will eat crow ๐Ÿซก

Why are you so focused on this specific 270 - 268 win:deadbanana2:ย You might as well play the lottery

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Espresso said:

You can call me out by name, it's fine. The tweets are on subject so I'm sure where the notion they're random's coming from. The mods established a long time ago this thread wasn't just for discussion as a thread on every new news point wasn't tenable.

Don't mind them, you're posting the news and there's nothing wrong with itย :gaycat2:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Playing around with the electoral map is terrifying with how easy it is for Trump to win. Biden basically needs to abandon Nevada (a waste of money and not needed), Georgia (long gone), and Wisconsin (long gone given how close it was in 2020) if nothing changes.

ย 

He needs to dump all his money in PA and MI and pray the governor race and abortion initiative carry him to keeping AZ. :rip:

Biden will probably stubbornly refuse to leave the race. If he manages to somehow win it'll be in spite of his stubbornness and only due to grassroots activists on the ground making sure turnout in key states stops Trump. That's literally our only hope if he stays in the race.ย 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blade said:

Playing around with the electoral map is terrifying with how easy it is for Trump to win. Biden basically needs to abandon Nevada (a waste of money and not needed), Georgia (long gone), and Wisconsin (long gone given how close it was in 2020) if nothing changes.

ย 

He needs to dump all his money in PA and MI and pray the governor race and abortion initiative carry him to keeping AZ. :rip:

Wisconsin is one of his best bets ๐Ÿ’€

ย 

ย 

he should poor all the money and time in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, AZ

ย 

ย 

Just now, GhostBox said:

Wisconsin is one of his best bets ๐Ÿ’€

ย 

ย 

he should poor all the money and time in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, AZ

ย 

ย 

Are you forgetting him being consistently +7-+8 in the polls and barely squeaking out a win? His polling is bad in the state rn. Wisconsin is going to pull an Iowa in from 2012 to 2016. Iowa swung D+6 to R+10. A 16 point swing in 4 years when it was already trending red

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blade said:

Are you forgetting him being consistently +7-+8 in the polls and barely squeaking out a win? His polling is bad in the state rn. Wisconsin is going to pull an Iowa in from 2012 to 2016. Iowa swung D+6 to R+10. A 16 point swing in 4 years when it was already trending red

The RCP average of the states show Wisconsin as tied.ย 
ย 

It's still his best swing state when it comes to polling.ย 

29 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

People blindly believing these dubious sources and rumors floating around the media that he's dropping out and then telling others they're not rooted in reality is hilarious. People need to take a break from reading NYT and the like. They're fear mongering and enjoying profiting off your clicks people. Biden is not leaving until it comes from him and his admin themselves. Not these random nonsense sources and hand picked polls ๐Ÿ’€

• Like 2

ย 

3 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

The RCP average of the states show Wisconsin as tied.ย 
ย 

It's still his best swing state when it comes to polling.ย 

He only won Wisconsin by 21k votes in 2020, I don't think he will win it with the current polling:rip:

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
47 minutes ago, byzantium said:

Too late for what? ย If Biden is headed towards a large defeat, is it ever too late to at least give this country a fighting chance against Trump and project 2025?ย 
ย 

I think it is a bit of a sunk cost fallacy to commit to a sinking ship. ย 

Too late to find a replacement that can beat Trump. The only realistic option imo is Kamala but she's not polling that much better vs Biden, and that's before she's the actual candidate. There's no guarantee her polling will improve once she starts running on an actual platform and has more attention on her.

ย 

None of the other options (Whitmer/Newsom/etc) have the name recognition or money to win at this point... and that's literally because of Biden/the DNC refusing to hold a primary. We would not be here if Biden had just put his ego aside months ago :rip:

7 minutes ago, Armani? said:

ย 

He only won Wisconsin by 21k votes in 2020, I don't think he will win it with the current polling:rip:

Oh it's definitely going to be a close state again.ย 
ย 

the Biden campaign has a lot of work to and if Biden's staying in they better get to itย 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blade said:

ย 

It does not really make sense to abandon WI, especially with MI being so vital. (I don't see it being the case where you would lose one and win the other). ย WI just re-elected a democratic governor and looks on track to re-elect its democratic senator this year. ย If Biden can't win WI, then he might as well throw in the towel now. ย 

17 minutes ago, Blade said:

You're tracking this closely. Can you unpack with me why you think those swings are the case?

ย 

Ohio was from millennials and minorities that could afford to leaving the state in droves in the 2010's. You think it's similar to Wisconsin? Iowa was Ohio on steroids. I know Politico did a piece on the impact of talk radio years ago.

2 minutes ago, byzantium said:

It does not really make sense to abandon WI, especially with MI being so vital. (I don't see it being the case where you would lose one and win the other). ย WI just re-elected a democratic governor and looks on track to re-elect its democratic senator this year. ย If Biden can't win WI, then he might as well throw in the towel now. ย 

Biden needs MI, WI, and PA, even by miniscule margins. Any of the three is lost and I'll be done tracking that night because it'll be over imho.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Espresso said:

You're tracking this closely. Can you unpack with me why you think those swings are the case?

ย 

Ohio was from millennials and minorities that could afford to leaving the state in droves in the 2010's. You think it's similar to Wisconsin? Iowa was Ohio on steroids. I know Politico did a piece on the impact of talk radio years ago.

I was looking at it from a perspective of demographics. WI is the whitest state out of WI/MI/PA.

White non-college voters being underrepresented by WI polls along with a last minute rightward shift among some White independents from Biden to Trump is what led to Trump being in within 1 percentage point of taking WI as a total shock. It shouldn't be as shocking this time that the race is closer on a national level.

Edited by Blade

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.