• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flower moon

• Into The Void

• Walk_Away21

• Reverse Warholian

Triangle of Sadness

9 out of 10

Wow I don't know why I didn't watch this before. It's really not what I expected but I absolutely loved it. 

I watched Super Mario Movie this weekend. It was more enjoyable than I excepted it to be, Crisp Rat's voice was less annoying than expected, I had a good time, 7/10.

Had time to chill and catch up.

Babylon: 80% 

Creed III: 90%

Hypnotic: 30% spacer.png

M3GAN: 70%

Missing: 20% spacer.png

Scream VI: 60% 

The Whale: 40% spacer.png

I have AMC A-List so I went to see The Little Mermaid and About My Father, gonna see You Hurt My Feelings with Julia Louis Dreyfus on Wednesday.

1. The Little Mermaid was amazing. I might go catch another screening because it was really beautiful and mesmerizing. Halle Bailey is a star.

2. About My Father was mid and it just felt like it could've gone straight to Netflix and called it a day because I don't see this doing numbers opening weekend, DeNiro was the only good thing about it.

Teorema (1968) 4/5

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975) 4/5

The Decameron (1971) 3.5/5

Arabian Nights (1975) 4/5

The 'Burbs (1989) 3/5

Serial Mom (1994) 3.5/5

Leviathan (1989) 2.5/5

The Mothman Prophecies (2002) 2.5/5

Watching Blake Lively's magnum opus A Simple Favor. I just know @Walk_Away21 is sharting sideways!

Just got back from bogeyman. Lame af and not at all scary. Even the jump scares didn't stare me much. C minus d plus 

The Little Mermaid (2023) - 3/10

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - 5/10

Rebel Without a Cause (1955) - 2/10

Ghost (1990) - 9/10

Boyz n The Hood (1991) - 7/10

Ghostbusters (1984) - 1/10

Hotel Rwanda (2004) - 6/10

Alien (1979) - 6/10

17 minutes ago, Speaker Phone said:

Boyyy what in hell is goin' on here... the original Alien a 6/10? I am truly GAGGED!

6 isn't bad , I wasn't blown away but it was a decent movie.

Now ghostbusters was absolutely awful , people must be stanning cuz of nostalgia. You can't change my mind about that one :bibliahh:

the 1st Resident Evil is pretty fun. i'm not familiar with the games at all, but what a nice slice of early 2000s nostalgia. Milla is born for horror/scifi genre. :clap3: and yes questionable effects, but i really bought into that world here...loved the mystery, the aesthetic, etc. it's one of those things where the script just keeps missing the mark, but everything else is engrossing enough. a mild 3/5.

i'm halfway thru the second one now, and gosh it's SO much more basic. i really prefer how contained the first one was.

Help (TV Movie 2021) - IMDb

:monkey: a sad, stressful watch sprinkled with bits of the best of humanity.

jodie was fantastic

On 6/9/2023 at 6:55 PM, futurenostalgic said:

the 1st Resident Evil is pretty fun. i'm not familiar with the games at all, but what a nice slice of early 2000s nostalgia. Milla is born for horror/scifi genre. :clap3: and yes questionable effects, but i really bought into that world here...loved the mystery, the aesthetic, etc. it's one of those things where the script just keeps missing the mark, but everything else is engrossing enough. a mild 3/5.

i'm halfway thru the second one now, and gosh it's SO much more basic. i really prefer how contained the first one was.

Resident Evil - 3/5
RE: Apocalypse - 2/5
RE: Extinction - 2/5

RE: Afterlife - 3/5
RE: Retribution - 1.5/5
RE: The Final Chapter - 2.5/5

The Godfather - 10.0. No notes, that's cinema.

The Godfather Part II - 9.6. I liked the vibes of the first more, it felt more cozy. This was very cold and tragic, but still a masterpiece, and a much needed downfall. 

I'm debating on watching the 3rd one, I saw it only once ages ago; I might give that Coda recut a shot.

On 6/15/2023 at 10:37 PM, Komet blu said:

I'm debating on watching the 3rd one, I saw it only once ages ago; I might give that Coda recut a shot.

The Grandfather CODA: The Death of Michael Corleone - 8.5

It's not on the level of the first two, but the dramatics like it's the worst picture of all time are too much, it's still a good movie overall imo. It truly feels like an epilogue, it's really somber in atmosphere from start to finish. I looked up the comparisons, and from what I've seen this recut improves the overall pacing and story.. The biggest flaw to me that it's was so apparent this was filmed in late 80 - early 90s from the costumes, makeup, hair etc, even though it's supposed to be set in late 70s at the height of the disco era and there is NONE of that :priceless:

Also Andy Garcia was HOT, like that is a MAN :jonny5: :jonny5: 

Going to get some hate for this but Amélie was dull and pretentious. I don’t seem to like any offbeat movies like this or Moulin Rouge! They just drive me nuts with the editing. 

Finally watched Citizen Kane to find out what all the hype is about and the common meme of like "well it's not like xyz is meant to be the Citizen Kane of pop songs or *insert any random medium here*"

You definitely have to watch it while keeping in mind the context of the era (1941) in which it was released or else you'd find it "overrated". It feels more impressive that way cause it is ahead of its time relatively speaking and it does feel more "modern" than any other movie from its time.

Now on a personal level, it wasn't as boring or "overrated" as I was expecting it to be which was a pleasant surprise. Of course it does get hard at times to relate to straight white rich males and their antics BUT Orson Welles in his 20s was a bit hot ngl :dies: More like unconventionally hot but it's his screen presence and manly bearing and deep voice that gets me :blush: So that helped me finish the movie from beginning to end lol and it's a pretty timeless fable of a young boy plucked from obscurity and thrust into extreme wealth, power and fame and the corruption of it all. The dark side of the American Dream, basically. The story was surprisingly easy to follow and not too complex like I was expecting. I even liked the pacing and especially the transitions (except for that weird bird and scream near the end). And of course the great lighting, beautiful cinematography.

Casablanca is next on my "let me see what all the hype is about this supposed greatest film of all time" list. :mandown:

4 hours ago, Matthew said:

Going to get some hate for this but Amélie was dull and pretentious. I don’t seem to like any offbeat movies like this or Moulin Rouge! They just drive me nuts with the editing. 

ive never been able to finish either of those films. :jonnycat:  they both just annoy me too much, so i cant get into them enough to finish watching

46 minutes ago, flower moon said:

ive never been able to finish either of those films. :jonnycat:  they both just annoy me too much, so i cant get into them enough to finish watching

I don’t know how to describe them. Offbeat? Quirky? They’re in the same genre as Wes Anderson’s movies :mazen:

12 hours ago, Da Vinci said:

Casablanca is next on my "let me see what all the hype is about this supposed greatest film of all time" list. :mandown:

Watched this last night and I was so let down by the romance of all things :deadbanana: Which is weird to me cause Humphrey Bogart was serving quintessential male movie star and Ingrid Bergman was serving ethereal goddess but it just didn't sit right with me. The movie stopped dead in its tracks for me when the flashback to Paris started :rip: Idk why. I was even more invested in that young couple that Rick helped :rip:

But the movie was redeemed by its extremely well-made third act :clap3:The suspense, the drama, the brisk pace, the twists, the back to back to back iconic lines, whew! And I ship Captain Renault and Rick ("If I was a woman, Rick would be the one person I'd go for...") :mandown: I love that ending! :fan:

The French Connection - 9.0

I'm surprised at how well it holds up. It kinda seems like a generic crime thriller that are dime a dozen nowadays, but that speaks about how groundbreaking it was for its time, like I'm shocked that something like this came out in 1971. I did find the ending bit abrupt, but otherwise - the acting, cinematography, directing - all superb. Love the 70s neo-noir NYC, sign me up.

Speaking of:

Serpico - 8.5

Whew, Pacino is phenomenal in this. The despair and agony of the protagonist are palpable throughout the entire thing, thanks to both his performance and the script. It may be a bit slow at moments, but overall it's a great look at how police, criminals and politicians worked in the 60s/70s NYC, considering it's based on a true story. Kinda reminded me of The Wire in that way, only condensed to 2 hours.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.