R&B/Soul Discussion

Wicked

On 5/28/2022 at 12:14 PM, Devin said:

Actually Robin Thicke > Timberlake in terms of white men in modern R&B. 

Modern and it's been ten years since either have been relevant :deadbanana4: feel like the Jack Harlow craze shows that they'd go up for one so maybe a label will run across someone that can sing and give him a whirl this decade. Even if it's a rap/sung hybrid like early 10's Drake I feel like it'll become fashionable again soon.

It's kind of weird though because I feel like genuinely good male singers aren't young or marketable enough and attractive white guys that want to be famous would rather do rap or pop since it's more lucrative. 

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Devin

• Armani?

• Wicked

• HarajukuPrincess

Leave You Alone was def my favorite on Ella's album, I loved Power of a Woman too

5 hours ago, nooniebao said:

I’m ready for this! Platinum Fire was amazing.

On 5/25/2022 at 7:42 PM, Devin said:

001874-D8-ABBD-484-C-96-DE-8-E1-F37-BB77

Top 3: Forever, Letter To Ur Ex, In The Club

Is she gonna release an actual album soon or… Love & Compromise was so long ago

40 minutes ago, Devin said:

I’m ready for this! Platinum Fire was amazing.

6 hours ago, mxoonlight said:

Modern and it's been ten years since either have been relevant :deadbanana4: feel like the Jack Harlow craze shows that they'd go up for one so maybe a label will run across someone that can sing and give him a whirl this decade. Even if it's a rap/sung hybrid like early 10's Drake I feel like it'll become fashionable again soon.

It's kind of weird though because I feel like genuinely good male singers aren't young or marketable enough and attractive white guys that want to be famous would rather do rap or pop since it's more lucrative. 

Its wild and there’s so mamy reasons. 

I think cause today Alternative R&B is the marketable trend. Which is why we see so many R&B males (i.e. 6LACK, Bryson Tiller, Blxst, Brent, Khalid, Frank, Daniel, PND, etc.) doing melodic rap, trapsoul, or blending R&B influences/samples into their own music. Besides Giveon… we haven’t had a R&B/Soul male artist on a commercial level in years.

Also, I believe fear and imagine plays a huge role. Because similar to women in pop music, R&B males are required to look “sexy”. A lot of these unknown, indie-R&B, and Alt-R&B males we know today aren’t appealing in a panty-wetter way. :skull: So they have a better chance blending into pop or rap to go commercial + explains why artists like Robin, Timberlake, Usher, Ne-Yo, Chris Brown, Trey Songz, and the Ignition guy were going strong for many years. For example, The Weeknd used to be strictly R&B and most people didn’t care/know him. Given that imagine (and arguably his vocals) aren’t appealing to the masses he merged into pop and we see how huge he is now.

Fear prob plays a role too, cause R&B males get hit with the most sexual assualt cases and backlash. 

36 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

Is she gonna release an actual album soon or… Love & Compromise was so long ago

I don’t believe so. A lot of the R&B ladies been playing games.mp3 

The way most of them think standalone singles and EPs are the way to go. :rip:

12 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

Ayeeee good look I’ll be over there.

ezgif-5-c6acd64746.gif

1 minute ago, Devin said:

I don’t believe so. A lot of the R&B ladies been playing games.mp3 

The way most of them think standalone singles and EPs are the way to go. :rip:

I haven’t consumed any of these songs cause I was waiting for the album :deadbanana4: maybe I should just give up and give in 

also what do we think on Muni Long’s new single?

4 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

I haven’t consumed any of these songs cause I was waiting for the album :deadbanana4: maybe I should just give up and give in 

Usually when an R&B project drops I’ll come here and share my favorites/highlights. On #that EP I would suggest giving it a stream, its not long. But if her music isn’t your cup of tea or you the type that wanna be properly introduce her with an album, I’ll say don’t bother. :dies:

10 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

also what do we think on Muni Long’s new single?

I love Pain! I loved it when she shared the snippet months ago. The label was smart for making it a single. Cause a lot of R&B artists recently been having some poor single choices. :rip:

Pain was cute:nicole2:

But she needs another Hrs & Hrs anthem

1 minute ago, Devin said:

Usually when an R&B project drops I’ll come here and share my favorites/highlights. On #that EP I would suggest giving it a stream, its not long. But if her music isn’t your cup of tea or you the type that wanna be properly introduce her with an album, I’ll say don’t bother. :dies:

I streamed Mahalia a lot when Love & Compromise and Isolation Tapes came out a while ago but I kinda forgot about her (outside of the occasional stream for her magnum opus BRB) :rip: idk I was just hoping to listen to an album instead of listening to these singles back to back 

4 minutes ago, Devin said:

I love Pain! I loved it when she shared the snippet months ago. The label was smart for making it a single. Cause a lot of R&B artists recently been having some poor single choices. :rip:

Those Ella Mai single choices were uhm… definetly a choice for sure lol :rip:

How was right there

3 minutes ago, Armani? said:

No Signal was cute:nicole2:

Agreed :chick1:

Idk if I’m the only one but I wish Time Machine got the success Hrs and Hrs received. 

Another was also great too. That MV was in particular incredible. 

6 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

I streamed Mahalia a lot when Love & Compromise and Isolation Tapes came out a while ago but I kinda forgot about her (outside of the occasional stream for her magnum opus BRB) :rip: idk I was just hoping to listen to an album instead of listening to these singles back to back 

Oh well in that case don’t bother. :rip:

7 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

Those Ella Mai single choices were uhm… definetly a choice for sure lol :rip:

How was right there

!!

Most of the R&B albums of the 2020s been dumb. 

Chlöe - For The Night … lead worthy

Ella Mai - How … lead worthy

Tinashe - I Can See The Future … lead worthy

Summer - Dat Right There … lead worthy

H.E.R. - Damage … lead worthy

Jazmine - Pick Up Your Feelings … lead worthy

the list goes on

4 minutes ago, Devin said:

Oh well in that case don’t bother. :rip:

!!

Most of the R&B albums of the 2020s been dumb. 

Chlöe - For The Night … lead worthy

Ella Mai - How … lead worthy

Tinashe - I Can See The Future … lead worthy

Summer - Dat Right There … lead worthy

H.E.R. - Damage … lead worthy

Jazmine - Pick Up Your Feelings … lead worthy

the list goes on

The fact that none of these CLASSICS are the lead single of their respective album and NOBODY said anything :deadbanana4: 

when is Chlöe releasing a new song btw Treat Me was so bad :biblio:

4 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

The fact that none of these CLASSICS are the lead single of their respective album and NOBODY said anything :deadbanana4: 

when is Chlöe releasing a new song btw Treat Me was so bad :biblio:

Hopefully June. Lets just call Treat Me a cute promo single. :rip: The label’s rollout decision for her is dragging for no reason. I could see if she was in Normani’s position but she has a whole machine behind her and a completed catalog to release smh.

7 minutes ago, Devin said:

Hopefully June. Lets just call Treat Me a cute promo single. :rip: The label’s rollout decision for her is dragging for no reason. I could see if she was in Normani’s position but she has a whole machine behind her and a completed catalog to release smh.

If they Normani her I’m gonna get pissed off for real 

2 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

Facts! But she has a huge machine behind her so I’m not worried. The rollout is foul cause…

August 2021 - Have Mercy (lead)

November 2021 - Treat Me (promo)

January 2022 - Feature Run (you & me + Cry For Me)

February 2022 - For The Night (2nd single) + album

1 hour ago, Devin said:

Idk if I’m the only one but I wish Time Machine got the success Hrs and Hrs received. 

why-not-both-why-not.gif

Time Machine deserved, but I love Hrs and Hrs. 

1 hour ago, GoatGly said:

I feel like Normani normanied herself. If anything happens with Chlöe, it won’t be due to lack of work ethic or dedication, it’ll definitely be others at fault. That girl is a HUSTLER. Normani can’t claim the same, and I’m using Normani’s own words and actions against her at this point. I may be in the minority, but I don’t feel sorry for the state of Normani’s career anymore. 

Edited by JCsNumba1Fan

1 minute ago, JCsNumba1Fan said:

I feel like Normani normanied herself. If anything happens with Chloe, it won’t be due to lack of work ethic or dedication, it’ll definitely be others at fault. Normani can’t claim the same, and I’m using Normani’s own words and actions against her at this point. 

Normani had so much potential though and Wild Side was such a hit! 

Oh well :monkey:

Just now, GoatGly said:

Normani had so much potential though and Wild Side was such a hit! 

Oh well :monkey:

I just feel like she’s chasing something and won’t be satisfied until she finds it. I don’t know if it’s a Hot 100 leader or what. She’s really lost. I think there are too many people in her ear. She STILL has potential, but she’s wasting it as the years go by. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.