R&B/Soul Discussion

Wicked

I don't know if there have been threads about Patti Labelle and Gladys Knight having their 80th birthdays this week but happy birthday to both of them. :WAP:

Both still look so young :WAP:

• Like 3

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Devin

• Armani?

• Wicked

• HarajukuPrincess

Urban Hang Suite and Embrya are bonafide classics. 

Honestly, I like all 3 D'Angelo albums around the same.

New Amerykah Part 2 is Erykahs best album to me.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

I don't know if there have been threads about Patti Labelle and Gladys Knight having their 80th birthdays this week but happy birthday to both of them. :WAP:

Both still look so young :WAP:

gladys is so underrated in many r&b convos. its phenomenal she is 80+ and her vocals are still strong.

:jonny5:

58 minutes ago, Wicked said:

Urban Hang Suite and Embrya are bonafide classics. 

Honestly, I like all 3 D'Angelo albums around the same.

New Amerykah Part 2 is Erykahs best album to me.

i didnt see this one coming. :lmao:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devin said:

gladys is so underrated in many r&b convos. its phenomenal she is 80+ and her vocals are still strong.

i didnt see this one coming. :lmao:

Gladys is underrated cause she's a deep voiced queen. Altos don't get any love in comparison to sopranos and mezzos. Phyllis Hyman & pretty much all the ladies of Jazz and Blues don't really get discussed enough.

It's the Erykah album I listen to the most tbh, I been meaning to give her discog a spin again tho it's been a while.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wicked said:

Gladys is underrated cause she's a deep voiced queen. Altos don't get any love in comparison to sopranos and mezzos. Phyllis Hyman & pretty much all the ladies of Jazz and Blues don't really get discussed enough.

It's the Erykah album I listen to the most tbh, I been meaning to give her discog a spin again tho it's been a while.

!!!

part of reason why lately i been diving more into jazz and revisiting so may talented artists from the soul & blues era (outside the hits esp). sometimes u get exhausted of the same ole with the current r&b climate. 

• Like 2

I don't use the word "timeless" often, but... :jonny:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Devin said:

his debut is better. my fav album is black messiah.

I feel terrible for thinking about Kendrick at first :toofunny2:

Posted (edited)

I don't know if this really counts towards R&B but these two got a few lil bops. 

Edited by HarajukuPrincess
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 3:33 PM, Moonlight Nation said:

Oh my goodness! I'm so happy to see another "Music Box" enthusiast around here! :foxaylove:

I totally understand the criticisms of it being Mariah's most Adult Contemporary project and probably the one most influenced by the image Tommy Mottola was pushing on her, but the highlights are phenomenal.

Pop perfection "Dreamlover", "Anytime You Need A Friend", "Now That I Know", "I've Been Thinking About You" (thank you @Virgos Groove for highlighting it!), the heavenly title track. I also unapologetically adore "Hero" and "Just To Hold You Once Again". As you said, the vocal delivery and emotion sell them to me. And few people acknowledge how JTHYOA walked so "My All" could thrive.

Both B-sides are amazing too. Shame that "Without You" is also on this album, since it's comfortably among my least favourite songs from her. No fault of her own, but the composition is just so dull and trite.

You're a Janet fan too. :foxaylove:

Whats everyone's favorite Janet records? :soda:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarajukuPrincess said:

The Velvet Rope and RN1814. :gaynetcat1:

Best song of all time?

maybe-so.gif

• Like 1

I'm often torn between RN1814 and All For You. The latter is stronger than a lot of people acknowledge. 

I appreciate Amerie for bringing the modern go-go sound to the mainstream. Her debut album All I Have is that girl but my favorite work from her is 4AM Mulholland and After 4AM (which isn't go-go at all).
Maxwell's work is fairly consistent and he is one of my favorite male artists. D'Angelo's Brown Sugar is stellar but Voodoo and Black Messiah did nothing for me.

For Mimi, my favorite album fluctuates between Emotions and TEOM. There are moments where I like Emotions more and there are moments where TEOM seems better.
The best Janet album is definitely The Velvet Rope but Control, RN1814 and janet are top tier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally took some time to get into this (I had already heard Talking Book and Innervisions a few years ago).

How can a single person be SO talented? :jonny:

• Like 1

Yeah Stevie GOAT. The history behind the album and what lead up to it makes it even greater.

• Like 1

• Like 1

Stevie is a maxed-out musician. 10s in everything, which contrary to popular opinion is extremely rare. His classic period can go up against anyones. Songs In the Key of Life is one of the best executed concept albums to exist and simultaneously is a snapshot for all Black American music up to that point.

He was crazy tho, spending days on one song is wild to me :deadbanana: 

• Like 2

I didn't know this was a Stevie song. :dies:

Massive banger tho. He had to make a quick visit to Studio 54 to show Donna and Diana he could do what they do with EASE.

1382946a426e150292f74ceb593d509a_w200.gi

On 5/31/2024 at 9:52 PM, CityPop said:

I appreciate Amerie for bringing the modern go-go sound to the mainstream. Her debut album All I Have is that girl but my favorite work from her is 4AM Mulholland and After 4AM (which isn't go-go at all).
Maxwell's work is fairly consistent and he is one of my favorite male artists. D'Angelo's Brown Sugar is stellar but Voodoo and Black Messiah did nothing for me.

For Mimi, my favorite album fluctuates between Emotions and TEOM. There are moments where I like Emotions more and there are moments where TEOM seems better.
The best Janet album is definitely The Velvet Rope but Control, RN1814 and janet are top tier. 

Truth :alexz3:

• Thanks 1

I don't agree with the first statement but I agree she's underrated.

the stevie & marvin slander is foul and childish lol.

• Thanks 2

On 5/31/2024 at 5:32 AM, HarajukuPrincess said:

u aint ask me but damita jo is my favorite album.

• Thanks 1

It's an album.

• Like 1

Both of them foul not putting this on DSPs.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wicked said:

It's an album.

gallant mad underrated im tweakin for this album.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 11:44 PM, Devin said:

u aint ask me but damita jo is my favorite album.

Lol I was trying to prompt everyone in here tbh 😆 

Damita Jo is great. I hate that it fell under the shadow of Super Bowl gate 😑

I Want You, All Nite, Slolove, Strawberry Bounce, Just A Little While, R&B Junkie all clear 😭

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.