R&B/Soul Discussion

Wicked

2 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Emancipation is Mimi's best album. No forced ballads, no Walter, just excellent soul music and party jams. But I don't think people are ready for that conversation... :lakitu:

i sure as hell wasnt ready. :deadbanana:

teom is a solid 3rd or 4th place in ranking.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Devin

• Armani?

• Wicked

• HarajukuPrincess

2 minutes ago, HarajukuPrincess said:

"Circles" honestly took a lil time to grow on me. As did "To The Floor", "Joy Ride" and "Your Girl". I'm still not big on the song with Twista. :shutup:

At this point I love the entire album sans that one and "Makin' It Last All Night". 

One and Only is a bop, but So Lonely CLEARS. :jonny:

4 minutes ago, HarajukuPrincess said:

"Circles" honestly took a lil time to grow on me. As did "To The Floor", "Joy Ride" and "Your Girl". I'm still not big on the song with Twista. :shutup:

what in the- 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Devin said:

i sure as hell wasnt ready. :deadbanana:

teom is a solid 3rd or 4th place in ranking.

Curious: what's your ranking?

Emancipation, Butterfly and Debut would probably be my top-3. (If The Remixes was an actual album, it'd definitely make into my top-3, a house and R&B masterpiece. :fan:)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

One and Only is a bop, but So Lonely CLEARS. :jonny:

That's the "One and Only" (pun intended lol) ...it'll grow on me at some point.

"So Lonely" is the one I loved from the first listen. :jonny6:

• Like 1

I'm one of those ones who loves Music Box. I mean....it's super safe but it's vocally and emotionally strong imo.

My top 5 would be a revolving door between: Debut + Music Box + Daydream + TEOM + Butterfly

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Virgos Groove said:

Curious: what's your ranking?

Emancipation, Butterfly and Debut would probably be my top-3. (If The Remixes was an actual album, it'd definitely make into my top-3, a house and R&B masterpiece. :fan:)

butterfly

daydream

teom / emotions

caution

charmbracelet

debut 

rainbow / glitter

music box

memoirs

einstein

miam

i struggled placing them last 4. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HarajukuPrincess said:

I'm one of those ones who loves Music Box. I mean....it's super safe but it's vocally and emotionally strong imo.

yea.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, HarajukuPrincess said:

My top 5 would be a revolving door between: Debut + Music Box + Daydream + TEOM + Butterfly

taste bc 90s moo remains superior. :jonny5:

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HarajukuPrincess said:

Music Box has never done it for me, but these two songs are flawless. :jonny:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HarajukuPrincess said:

Oh my goodness! I'm so happy to see another "Music Box" enthusiast around here! :foxaylove:

I totally understand the criticisms of it being Mariah's most Adult Contemporary project and probably the one most influenced by the image Tommy Mottola was pushing on her, but the highlights are phenomenal.

Pop perfection "Dreamlover", "Anytime You Need A Friend", "Now That I Know", "I've Been Thinking About You" (thank you @Virgos Groove for highlighting it!), the heavenly title track. I also unapologetically adore "Hero" and "Just To Hold You Once Again". As you said, the vocal delivery and emotion sell them to me. And few people acknowledge how JTHYOA walked so "My All" could thrive.

Both B-sides are amazing too. Shame that "Without You" is also on this album, since it's comfortably among my least favourite songs from her. No fault of her own, but the composition is just so dull and trite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Devin said:

butterfly

daydream

teom / emotions

caution

charmbracelet

debut 

rainbow / glitter

music box

memoirs

einstein

miam

i struggled placing them last 4. 

spacer.png

Emotions is the one album I wish I liked more. The house tracks and The Wind (Jazzriah >>>) are excellent, but the rest hasn't done it for me yet, which is weird since the soul/R&B tracks on Debut are my favs. Maybe it's Walter's fault, idk...

image0.gif?ex=6658cf64&is=66577de4&hm=1d

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Emotions is the one album I wish I liked more. The house tracks and The Wind (Jazzriah >>>) are excellent, but the rest hasn't done it for me yet, which is weird since the soul/R&B tracks on Debut are my favs. Maybe it's Walter's fault, idk...

i keep saying if she feel like dropping a new album i love for it to be jazzriah.

some lambs hate me for that idea.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Moonlight Nation said:

Shame that "Without You" is also on this album, since it's comfortably among my least favourite songs from her. No fault of her own, but the composition is just so dull and trite.

Bringin' on the Heartbreak is the superior Whiteriah ACriah record wbk

I feel like I would enjoy Without You (and Hero) more if it weren't for that piano going THUMP THUMP THUMP. :dies:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Devin said:

i keep saying if she feel like dropping a new album i love for it to be jazzriah.

some lambs hate me for that idea.

spacer.png

You're right and you should keep manifesting it! 

Mariah's current vocal tone + comfortable registers go so perfectly with jazz melodies, and it's telling that some of her best performances since the mid-2010s are those where she leaned into the spontaneous improvisation aspect of the genre. Her reinterpretation of "Thank God I Found You" during the #1s (?) Vegas residency, the 2015 Jamaica performance of "We Belong Together" (granted, she was high, but her freedom playing around with the melodies felt very jazzy, even if unintentional), and of course, the 'Mimi's Late Night Valentine's Mix' of "We Belong Together". 

I adored every Jazzriah moment we've gotten from her, and wouldn't mind to see her further exploring this sound and vibe for the next album. :heart:

6 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Bringin' on the Heartbreak is the superior Whiteriah ACriah record wbk

I'm more partial to her cover of "Open Arms", personally, but "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" is a great pick among the ACriah covers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moonlight Nation said:

You're right and you should keep manifesting it! 

Mariah's current vocal tone + comfortable registers go so perfectly with jazz melodies, and it's telling that some of her best performances since the mid-2010s are those where she leaned into the spontaneous improvisation aspect of the genre. Her reinterpretation of "Thank God I Found You" during the #1s (?) Vegas residency, the 2015 Jamaica performance of "We Belong Together" (granted, she was high, but her freedom playing around with the melodies felt very jazzy, even if unintentional), and of course, the 'Mimi's Late Night Valentine's Mix' of "We Belong Together". 

I adored every Jazzriah moment we've gotten from her, and wouldn't mind to see her further exploring this sound and vibe for the next album. :heart:

I'm more partial to her cover of "Open Arms", personally, but "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" is a great pick among the ACriah covers.

i feel like a jazzy pop rnb sound would showcase her 2020s vocals well vs trying to hit certain notes on songs.

• Thanks 1

I forgot about this thread lol

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Burn said:

perfection

what u know abt d'angelo? :jonny5:

31 minutes ago, Armani? said:

I forgot about this thread lol

notice how u ran everybody away for a sec?

they got scared of ur h.e.r. stanning. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Virgos Groove said:

Music Box has never done it for me, but these two songs are flawless. :jonny:

Yeesssddddddddddd! If these were singles, chile :jonnycat:

3 hours ago, Moonlight Nation said:

Oh my goodness! I'm so happy to see another "Music Box" enthusiast around here! :foxaylove:

I totally understand the criticisms of it being Mariah's most Adult Contemporary project and probably the one most influenced by the image Tommy Mottola was pushing on her, but the highlights are phenomenal.

Pop perfection "Dreamlover", "Anytime You Need A Friend", "Now That I Know", "I've Been Thinking About You" (thank you @Virgos Groove for highlighting it!), the heavenly title track. I also unapologetically adore "Hero" and "Just To Hold You Once Again". As you said, the vocal delivery and emotion sell them to me. And few people acknowledge how JTHYOA walked so "My All" could thrive.

Both B-sides are amazing too. Shame that "Without You" is also on this album, since it's comfortably among my least favourite songs from her. No fault of her own, but the composition is just so dull and trite.

So much tea and taste in one post :jonnycat::jonnycat:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Virgos Groove said:

Whewww

Mary's first four albums In general chile

>>>

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devin said:

what u know abt d'angelo? :jonny5:

I get why everyone loved Voodoo but to me his debut >>>>>> :jonny3:

I wouldn't be a good fan if I didn't drop a few gems here :michael: since we're a rare breed here

^ This is really one of her best vocal performances 

and then we have 

and then there's 

^ a futuristic vibe 

11 hours ago, Burn said:

I get why everyone loved Voodoo but to me his debut >>>>>> :jonny3:

his debut is better. my fav album is black messiah.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.