K-Pop Thread: 2022 Archive

Ryan

Can I be real with y'all for a second? Went back to listen through RV's discography to hype myself up a bit more to the release of this upcoming EP and I've got to be honest. RV's only bad album is The Velvet. Like, I don't rate it all all, always skip it when it comes on shuffle. So glad they've never gone back to terrie music like that, the whole thing is terrible, down to the album cover. Love all their other music though. Can't wait to hear what this album is like.

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel.

• Witnessed ET

• hallucinate

• Dialamba

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Dialamba said:

I think that’s the standard. Twice did it with TT, even if it’s not their debut hit it was their breakthrough hit. So are fearless and eleven both did quite well. 

Aespa’s last TT

Girls 200M

Illusion 250M

Savage 500M

Next level 1.1B 

Well at least Itzy is consistent since 2020 while aespa is doing ÷2 every cb  :deadbanana4:

This would work if Aespa didn’t chart B-sides like most fourth Gen girl groups.

Debut - 270M (Black Mamba)

First Comeback - 1.1B (Next Level)

Second Comeback - 600M (Savage, 750k+ album sales)

Third Comeback - 500M (Girls, 1.8M+ album sales)

The Girls mini era is the third biggest ever in female K-pop for total album units (after Born Pink and The Album). It’s the biggest mini-album era ever for a female K-pop act.

2 hours ago, Shou7 said:

Like im really not understanding whats the big deal abt admitting that RV creative directors probably took some inspiration from NJ????

Do you not realize that the creative director of NewJeans was the creative director of Red Velvet? You realize she’s just reusing concepts, right? :skull: 

7 minutes ago, CandyCoatedClouds said:

Can I be real with y'all for a second? Went back to listen through RV's discography to hype myself up a bit more to the release of this upcoming EP and I've got to be honest. RV's only bad album is The Velvet. Like, I don't rate it all all, always skip it when it comes on shuffle. So glad they've never gone back to terrie music like that, the whole thing is terrible, down to the album cover. Love all their other music though. Can't wait to hear what this album is like.

Im with you on this one. One of those snoozes has got to be their worst TT :redface:

2 hours ago, Shou7 said:

I don't even listen to new jeans so what now...??? 

Idk why ur bringing sunmi and taeyeon into the conversation? When someone brings up Y2K K-pop, no one is going to bring them up before NJs. The trend existed before NJs, yes. But NJs are the representatives of the trend. This has nothing to do with whether people think theyre revolutionary or not.

And comparisons are being made between NJ and birthday specifically because of similarities in the use of an animal mascot IN A SIMILAR STYLE. Whether or not the cat has appeared before is a different discussion.

Like im really not understanding whats the big deal abt admitting that RV creative directors probably took some inspiration from NJ???? Its not even a negative thing??? Inspiration=/plagiarism

(And we all know abt SM and their mood boards.)

What are you talking about. Y2K has been prominent in fashion worldwide since the beginning of this decade. Multiple groups and artists have been using the Y2K aesthetic as a concept BEFORE NJ.

The fact the Y2K trend has been seen as a concept in multiple comebacks, multiple performance looks and individual looks automatically negates your opinion on NJ being the representatives of the genre. Y2K has been pretty much inescapable in Kpop for the last two years, you're not making any points.

Jeon-Somi-1-e1633822004456.jpg

spacer.png

Taeyeon.jpg

ITZY1.jpg

TWICE21.jpeg

spacer.png

Edited by Cotton

3 minutes ago, paddii_ said:

Im with you on this one. One of those snoozes has got to be their worst TT :redface:

Right? Like it's so incredibly boring yet always so high fans lists for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Comedor said:

Ms BotAx low key snapped with Forgive Me. 

I’m streaming. :clap3:

31 minutes ago, Supervillain said:

Forgive Me is fantastic :jonny3: It fits well with aespa's Girls and Seulgi's 28 Reasons

both the title and b-sides ate :jonny5: I can't get over Zip

57 minutes ago, CandyCoatedClouds said:

Probably just tastes, The Velvet has some great songs...Cool Hot Sweet Love, OOTN, Light Me Up, First Time...it was a brave album to do because it's all about the vocals and with R&B/ballad themes that weren't really popular at the time it came out, it's not a really pop album. But conceptually it's so strong. It's their most mellow album though, which is why it's probably polarizing. I find people either hate it or love it.

The only bad thing about The Velvet for me is the tracklist with all those annoying remixes added on. Plus commercially it was the wrong kind of album to release at the time.

the One of These LEGENDS slander… y’all will not be seeing heaven i fear

KRYSTAL at a special event by FILA in Manchester, U.K.

I hate that she's not active as a performer these days. This lewk though omg:jonny5:

2 hours ago, Zack said:

Probably just tastes, The Velvet has some great songs...Cool Hot Sweet Love, OOTN, Light Me Up, First Time...it was a brave album to do because it's all about the vocals and with R&B/ballad themes that weren't really popular at the time it came out, it's not a really pop album. But conceptually it's so strong. It's their most mellow album though, which is why it's probably polarizing. I find people either hate it or love it.

The only bad thing about The Velvet for me is the tracklist with all those annoying remixes added on. Plus commercially it was the wrong kind of album to release at the time.

It probably is because I am not to turn away from slow tempo ballads. Also it sure was brave but also incredibly foolish since it hurt them after they had just come off of a really successful 2015. SM makes so many questionable choices sometimes.

The Velvet is my favorite mini from them, I love the MV too despite the budget 

1 hour ago, Zack said:

I hate that she's not active as a performer these days. This lewk though omg:jonny5:

Smth about her reminds me of giselle

2 hours ago, Zack said:

Not Jennie's mother with Andrew Garfield, wow :jonny4:She's so beautiful and we stan an it-girl :clap3:

6 hours ago, Rhyme said:

You mean the animal mascot that was already shown to have been used before by Red Velvet? The group who do references to their past comebacks EVERY comeback? 

Anyways I'm bringing up Taeyeon and Sunmi because they were decked out in Y2K for 2021. BLACKPINK as well conceptualized their BORN PINK concept with Y2K as far back as May. Even Nayeon used Y2K for POP right before newjeans came out and I'm assuming Talk That Talk by TWICE was conceptualized around then too with more Y2K. 

Newjeans can't be representatives for a trend that they were already super late to. :swan:

The RR reference explains WHY the mascot is a cat. It does not explain HOW the cat is depicted. Yall gonna tell me that the cat's STYLE looks more similar to RR than the NJ bunny...??? You can both reference a past comeback AND be influenced in its new depiction.

Okay. So the SM directors might have had more influences. Cool? Once again NJ was specifically brought up because of the above point.

I don't really understand your last point. It's like saying elvis presley can't be representative of rock and roll because the genre had existed for years and others were already doing it.

Edited by Shou7

4 hours ago, Eternium said:

Do you not realize that the creative director of NewJeans was the creative director of Red Velvet? You realize she’s just reusing concepts, right? :skull: 

So RV has a new creative team, okay. And why did they choose to reference an old MHJ idea in a similar aesthetic to the NJ bunny? Once again, influence can go both ways. Pointing out that NJ had influences from RV/MHJ is not a rebuttal of the idea that RV may have taken some influence from NJ.

well it’s over :chick3: at least he is going to be slaying those military pics

he decided to enlist early too, a man :clap3:

Edited by hallucinate

4 hours ago, Cotton said:

What are you talking about. Y2K has been prominent in fashion worldwide since the beginning of this decade. Multiple groups and artists have been using the Y2K aesthetic as a concept BEFORE NJ.

The fact the Y2K trend has been seen as a concept in multiple comebacks, multiple performance looks and individual looks automatically negates your opinion on NJ being the representatives of the genre. Y2K has been pretty much inescapable in Kpop for the last two years, you're not making any points.

Hide contents

Jeon-Somi-1-e1633822004456.jpg

spacer.png

Taeyeon.jpg

ITZY1.jpg

TWICE21.jpeg

spacer.png

Thanks for sharing the examples? NJ has been by far the biggest phenomenon that came out of the y2k trend and if that's not how you want to define being a main representative of a trend, that's cool. Never implied they were y2k trendsetters/starters. And my point abt the current iteration of the RV cat taking influence from NJ doesn't really hinge on this argument, so...

37 minutes ago, Shou7 said:

Thanks for sharing the examples? NJ has been by far the biggest phenomenon that came out of the y2k trend and if that's not how you want to define being a main representative of a trend, that's cool. Never implied they were y2k trendsetters/starters. And my point abt the current iteration of the RV cat taking influence from NJ doesn't really hinge on this argument, so...

That “point” is so weak though, they’re not similar at all lol and you look sillier with the fact that the cat featured in three of their comebacks in the last few years  

2 hours ago, Jenlisa said:

That “point” is so weak though, they’re not similar at all lol and you look sillier with the fact that the cat featured in three of their comebacks in the last few years  

Every iteration of the cat has been wildly different. Photorealistic CGI, 80's (???) cartoon, etc. This is the first time it's been shown with this thick outline cartoon network aesthetic, which is the same style the NJ bunny has been drawn in. As a whole they're not THAT similar but to reject any and all similarities is just disingenuous. This isn't an argument about plagiarism. How "weak" or "strong" an influence is doesn't take away from its validity.

Edited by Shou7

10 minutes ago, Shou7 said:

Every iteration of the cat has been wildly different. Photorealistic CGI, 80's (???) cartoon, etc. This is the first time it's been shown with this thick outline cartoon network aesthetic, which is the same style the NJ bunny has been drawn in. As a whole they're not THAT similar but to reject any and all similarities is just disingenuous. This isn't an argument about plagiarism. How "weak" or "strong" an influence is doesn't take away from its validity.

Lol no it’s not. Be Fr :ahh: