J-Pop Thread: Kuu and Ayu slay at A-Nation

Britneyfan09

• ATRL Moderator
4 hours ago, Curaga said:

I just listened to Femme Fatale last month, first time listening to her, so I need to check out even more! Do you have a fav album/recommendation? 

FF is my personal favorite because it’s trashy dance pop but it’s definitely an interesting first album for her.  Fushigi is super popular nowadays but it’s also a bit of an outlier.  I’d recommend D404ME, or BEST II.  Best II is a compilation but none of the songs are from her studio albums, it’s all droplets or EP singles, so a lot of fans just sort of treat it as a de facto album.  Those are really strong albums from her peak that kinda give you the idea of what she’s about. 

4 hours ago, Suilen said:

Well yes, love both her idol and more experimental stuff, and STOCK makes her the queen of rock.

28 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Honestly, Femme Fatale isn't the best place to start, even her English album Cross My Palms is more interesting. I'd suggest Fushigi, Possibility, the said English album, maybe Crimson (not my personal fave but people seem to like it). Best II has some of her best songs not featured on any albums. Fixer is her best recent album, it's how I personally got into her.

Oh you lied Ff is amazing.  It’s like if a Japanese pop artist did an album produced by Stock Aitken Waterman! But it’s not the best start I agree.  

I love her idol stuff but I’m surprised, albums 2/4 are my preferred ones but most seem to prefer 1/3. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• Curaga

• AMIT

• illia

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Curaga said:

I just listened to Femme Fatale last month, first time listening to her, so I need to check out even more! Do you have a fav album/recommendation? 

BITTER AND SWEET is my favorite album of hers, I think it (and D404ME) served as a bridge for her transition from the stereotypical Idol Kayo girl to a more experimental/mature artist

• Thanks 1

Can't think of a more gorgeous album, this is defo the best pre-R&B JPOP album for me:flower:

Yes Akina, yes thread ratings :clap3:Who else but the goddess of j-pop.

39 minutes ago, madonnas said:

FF is my personal favorite because it’s trashy dance pop but it’s definitely an interesting first album for her.  Fushigi is super popular nowadays but it’s also a bit of an outlier.  I’d recommend D404ME, or BEST II.  Best II is a compilation but none of the songs are from her studio albums, it’s all droplets or EP singles, so a lot of fans just sort of treat it as a de facto album.  Those are really strong albums from her peak that kinda give you the idea of what she’s about. 

Oh you lied Ff is amazing.  It’s like if a Japanese pop artist did an album produced by Stock Aitken Waterman! But it’s not the best start I agree.  

I love her idol stuff but I’m surprised, albums 2/4 are my preferred ones but most seem to prefer 1/3. 

I like FF and I maintain that she only started to have middling albums in late 90s/00s but even then you have Resonancia where she brought out her Latina side with bops. Still, it was a bit hard for me to get into the album for the same reason it's hard for me to get into Kylie's early albums, and I suppose that you probably need some context for where Akina stood at that time to appreciate it properly. But well, Akina has something for everyone, as long as @Curaga liked that album it's all good.

7 minutes ago, playboi said:

Can't think of a more gorgeous album, this is defo the best pre-R&B JPOP album for me:flower:

The way I've had this album for ages and still haven't listened to it. Thank you for the reminder!

Edited by Suilen

• ATRL Moderator
12 minutes ago, playboi said:

Afropia by Kyoko Koizumi is like this album, but better.  

5 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Yes Akina, yes thread ratings :clap3:Who else but the goddess of j-pop.

I like FF and I maintain that she only started to have middling albums in late 90s/00s but even then you have Resonancia where she brought out her Latina side with bops. Still, it was a bit hard for me to get into the album for the same reason it's hard for me to get into Kylie's early albums, and I suppose that you probably need some context for where Akina stood at that time to appreciate it properly. But well, Akina has something for everyone, as long as @Curaga liked that album it's all good.

The way I've had this album for ages and still haven't listened to it. Thank you for the reminder!

I honestly think she still had good albums after the 80s but I haven’t heard them all:

balance unbalance: FLOP, Her worst album, like 3 bops and then shit

shaker: a classic 

resonancia: maybe could cut a few tracks but it’s super consistent 

destination: same as above? I guess? But I love how diverse it is

Diva: half amazing half meh.  Kinda has hard candy energy (a good thing for me) 

I need to hear the rest! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, madonnas said:

Afropia by Kyoko Koizumi is like this album, but better.  

I honestly think she still had good albums after the 80s but I haven’t heard them all:

balance unbalance: FLOP, Her worst album, like 3 bops and then ****

shaker: a classic 

resonancia: maybe could cut a few tracks but it’s super consistent 

destination: same as above? I guess? But I love how diverse it is

Diva: half amazing half meh.  Kinda has hard candy energy (a good thing for me) 

I need to hear the rest! 

Someone I know thinks that unbalance+balance is her best album so I guess he's lucky he doesn't post here anymore. I like this Tetsuya Komuro bop though:

Aside from FIXER, I think her cover album Cage with 80s classics is worth checking out. She made some of those songs "hers" in a way. I hope that she releases something this year as she's apparently recovered from the health issues she had after its release.

Oh wow, this Akina stanning. :eek:

I must admit I don't know her that much, which is shameful, but did I listen to FIXER which I thought was good! She has such a big discography that getting into her seemed like such a daunting task back then when I still had to listen to the newer girls stuff. :emofish:

Thank you all for the recommendations. :heart2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, AMIT said:

Oh wow, this Akina stanning. :eek:

I must admit I don't know her that much, which is shameful, but did I listen to FIXER which I thought was good! She has such a big discography that getting into her seemed like such a daunting task back then when I still had to listen to the newer girls stuff. :emofish:

Thank you all for the recommendations. :heart2:

You’ll love her.  She’s that type of diva that went from teeny bopper music to branch out and experiment.  Her journey is super satisfying to get through 

• Like 1

WOW Kumi is really serving with her covers lately. I totally missed this release last year. The absolute SLAYAGE :jonny4:

OTktNzA4OC5qcGVn.jpeg

1668650881-20221116-wings-fanclub.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 4:12 AM, Curaga said:

nnnnn yeah, no shade because I think she’s a queen, but her music isn’t usually my fav. I’ve only listened to Grow Into One all the way through because it has Real Emotion on it. I tried listening to Heart on release back in 2022 and only made it through a handful of songs before I was like, yeah this is not for me lol

I also listened to heart the other day and while it was mostly inoffensive, it has a collab with AI and those who are in the know understand that all the songs that woman touches turn into a certain substance, like no offense to her personally, but she has a history. The only collab with her I like is Namie's Wonder Woman, and many people can't stand it, so the poor girl will forever have this reputation.

:suburban:

3 minutes ago, Suilen said:

I also listened to heart the other day and while it was mostly inoffensive, it has a collab with AI and those who are in the know understand that all the songs that woman touches turn into a certain substance, like no offense to her personally, but she has a history. The only collab with her I like is Namie's Wonder Woman, and many people can't stand it, so the poor girl will forever have this reputation.

Wow, you hit the nail on the head — I quit listening on that song LOL, only 4 scrobbles. I will have to give the album another shot and skip that one

• Haha 1

I was going to throw shade and say that Kumi was doing some charity by featuring Ai on a 2022 album, but Spotify tells me that Ai has more monthly listeners and better recurrent plays on her old stuff, so it seems she was the one helping the less fortunate :suburban:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Subomie said:

I was going to throw shade and say that Kumi was doing some charity by featuring Ai on a 2022 album, but Spotify tells me that Ai has more monthly listeners and better recurrent plays on her old stuff, so it seems she was the one helping the less fortunate :suburban:

It's all her features!!!

But yeah, she might not have the gays on her side, but at least she has the GP. And wow, they were even checking for her 2022 album. My faves wish.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:41 AM, Suilen said:

Beautiful song + video :kiss:

• Like 2

Produce 101 Japan: The Girls group is finally debuting, April 17th :WAP:

Revisited this album today, so good. Can't say the same about the next two projects.

ab67616d0000b273361038fa33931abbb4808576

• Like 3

No clue how many members here listen to J-Pop but does anyone know any songs that are in this vein (kinda dreamy pop-rock)? Can be mainstream or more obscure. I listen to a fair amount of Japanese music but sometimes artists/songs aren't on my radar as much. Would be appreciated!

9 minutes ago, lelewlovebird said:

No clue how many members here listen to J-Pop but does anyone know any songs that are in this vein (kinda dreamy pop-rock)? Can be mainstream or more obscure. I listen to a fair amount of Japanese music but sometimes artists/songs aren't on my radar as much. Would be appreciated!

Ai Otsuka definitely has more of that in her discography, like this:

Maybe Mai Kuraki's PERFECT CRIME?

Some of Mika Nakashima's stuff is in that vein:

This song too maybe:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, lelewlovebird said:

Hello. Well I would start by saying that both Ayumi and Ai themselves have a good amount of other songs in that similar vein, especially the latter. Have you gone through their discographies yet? :keir: 

Also does it have to be female artists? If yes, these came to mind:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Curaga said:

WOW Kumi is really serving with her covers lately. I totally missed this release last year. The absolute SLAYAGE :jonny4:

OTktNzA4OC5qcGVn.jpeg

1668650881-20221116-wings-fanclub.jpg

aretha-franklin-beautiful-gowns.gif

• Haha 2

15 years into j-pop, I feel almost as old as britneyfan99

4flche.jpg?a474576

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Suilen said:

15 years into j-pop, I feel almost as old as britneyfan99

4flche.jpg?a474576

all these albums / singles anniversaries, yikes! :sad:

but still mother served cvnt and hairography in the video

mariah-carey-that-was-a-classic.gif 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMIT said:

Hello. Well I would start by saying that both Ayumi and Ai themselves have a good amount of other songs in that similar vein, especially the latter. Have you gone through their discographies yet? :keir: 

Also does it have to be female artists? If yes, these came to mind:

It can be any artist, not just female (or solo for that matter)! I'm familiar with Ai's first three or so albums and Ayumi is actually one of the J-Pop acts I'm most familiar with (recently remembered how much I enjoyed the (miss)understood album). Thanks for the other songs too! They all have a unique vibe and I haven't heard of the artists before.

1 hour ago, Suilen said:

Ai Otsuka definitely has more of that in her discography, like this:

Maybe Mai Kuraki's PERFECT CRIME?

Some of Mika Nakashima's stuff is in that vein:

This song too maybe:

Thanks for these! I'm familiar with Ai and Mika (though I hadn't heard either song in a while tbh). Perfect Crime and Infection are both good too and I'm not super familiar with either artist.

• Like 2

The director yelled "STOP! CUT!" but they heard "SERVE CVNT" and went with it :jonny5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.