J-Pop Thread: Kana Nishino returns

Britneyfan09

21 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Glad that you enjoyed the album and I wouldn't say that POSSIBILITY is that big of a departure from it but you do you. I had to relisten to the album to confirm the bold, and while there might be some marginal similarities and I love both, Namie was never a vocalist even at her best, and Akina's voice is the reason most of her discography is listenable compared to, say, Seiko Matsuda, whose croaking renders all those songs invalid no matter how good the production is (I guess her English albums managed to dodge the problem to some extent). BIBLE, my ass, more like penny dreadful.

Speaking of Seiko, I do love that blatant Madonna knockoff she released for her English album. I don’t really like anything else I’ve heard from her though. :rip:

• Like 1

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• Curaga

• AMIT

• UrMom

Top Posters In This Topic

Exile tribe high and low best tour of all time tbh :jonnycat:

8 minutes ago, Suilen said:

I did make me think of how she ended GaGa.

I'm glad you said it so I didn't have to.

rs_500x505-161018160806-get.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is lowkey garbage but I'm bopping so hard :redface:

I NEEEED A FIRETRUUUUCK

Any j-pop recs with a similar hyperpop-ish/edm sound?

7 minutes ago, illia said:

I NEEEED A FIRETRUUUUCK

this is giving me FEMM vibes low key (in terms of sound)

(this next one is in english though)

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, romiskes said:

GOLD, Complexxx and JASMINE 2.0 are masterpieces, JASMINE is always serving excellence. She dropped a new single a week or 2 ago, it samples J.Lo's "The One" and it's soooo good:

Yes Jaslegend. I didn't know about the JLO sample, let me give her new album some streams.

14 minutes ago, Taste of Honey said:

Speaking of Seiko, I do love that blatant Madonna knockoff she released for her English album. I don’t really like anything else I’ve heard from her though. :rip:

Well, I wasn't entirely serious about her vocals but there was definitely something in the water for her English albums that wasn't present for the rest of her discography. Though maybe the fact that she was sneaking out with Akina's boyfriend during the recording somehow contributed to that.

34 minutes ago, AMIT said:

this is giving me FEMM vibes low key (in terms of sound)

(this next one is in english though)

Thank you :heart: the first song is a bop

YOU JUST WANT MY PEACH

stan-twitter-dancing.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, illia said:

I NEEEED A FIRETRUUUUCK

TANAKA ALICE and MADEMOISELLE YULIA birthed them all

Edited by Suilen
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Suilen said:

TANAKA ALICE and MADEMOISELLE YULIA birthed them all

Thanksss:heart:

the second girl seems like a baddie :jonny5:

29 minutes ago, illia said:

Thank you :heart: the first song is a bop

YOU JUST WANT MY PEACH

stan-twitter-dancing.gif

welcome, glad you like it :gayliecat1:

you should check out that mini album, the first 4 songs are in a similar vein and are all bops 

• Thanks 1

The promised playlist with Mai Kuraki's highlights (I hope that Kyle never sees it):

I know that 無敵なハート is generic trash but maybe some people will appreciate it like I do. The last song is a big outlier and may put some people to sleep, but she's the only jpop girl who performed in Russia before it turned to utter trash so I had to add it since it was performed at that Moscow concert. She served with those vocals, though.

:khalyan:

• Like 3

• ATRL Moderator
6 hours ago, AMIT said:

So given y'alls opinions and recommendations I decided to go with BITTER AND SWEET for my first Akina album (not counting FIXER). 

I liked it! Much of it sounded like what one would expect from a female pop artist from the 80s, and I can't say anything gripped me like that (yet), but it was definitely a pleasant listen overall and very consistent. On a more general note I appreciate that her albums at a first glance look concise both in track numbers and overall length. Now I'm thinking of taking a u-turn and going for Possibility next, maybe. :spin:

Am I the only one who think she sounds uncannily like early Namie (from her TK work) on BABYLON? :rip:

Also I love the album cover and it was one of the reasons I went for it first and it did not disappoint! :heart: @Suilen @madonnas

Akina_Bitter_and_Sweet.jpg

Personally, possibly - B+S - D404ME is her beginning to change her artistry but bitter is probably my least favorite of that trilogy.  Babylon is really the only one I stan hard 

I recommend Best II! Seriously! Try it!

• Like 1

A throwback to the ICONIC rate when Mai was out pretty quickly with Reach for the sky (being mentioned in one breath with aiko is very insulting) but only because I was barely into her then and disregarded the Gomi remix that was more in line with the forum's taste and that would've made her last longer:

https://classic.atrl.net/?p=33989745

And still sad at how wrong GLAMOROUS SKY was done in another rate but some people are just hopeless:

https://classic.atrl.net/?p=34886654

ubkzo2M.gif

Thankfully with the Sheena rate I will be completely fair, objective and unbiased as I've had a lot of personal growth since then but some people seem to be stuck on their petty and trollish ways

gret84.gif

• Haha 2

SWEET KISSES, LAND 'EM ON MY LIPS

hqzgICL.gif

YOUR SWEET, SWEET HANDS GET WRAPPED AROUND MY HIPS

hqzgICL.gif

FEEL MY LOVELINESS

KNOW YOU'RE GONNA LIKE THIS

hqzgICL.gif

NONSTOP, CANDY SHOP

I'M FULL OF SURPRISES

hqzgICL.gif

Should've been the main single but she had to pander to the Japanese GP with DARKEST DAYS. Still tanked on Oricon somehow, oop.

Another 100 millon for YOASOBI :clap3:

1 hour ago, lelewlovebird said:

Had a bunch of classics (in my head) on repeat lately

OLIVIA a queen and whatever happened to Tomoko Kawase

YWEb42f.gif

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 8:13 AM, Suilen said:

Revisited this album today, so good. Can't say the same about the next two projects.

ab67616d0000b273361038fa33931abbb4808576

Funny that you bring this up because I'm currently going through Miliyah's discography right now and I remember this album and HEAVEN standing out while Utopia felt like a dud when they came out.

I've heard about Miliyah but I've mostly been following BENI's discography so I didn't pay much attention to Miliyah until her Ring era. Currently, Femme Fatale is my favorite but I need to listen to her albums more in-depth. I've just started so Rose and Diamond Princess are great while TOKYO STAR isn't grabbing me as much. Looking forward to listening to her more especially this album since it was hot from beginning to end.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Suilen said:

Thankfully with the Sheena rate I will be completely fair, objective and unbiased as I've had a lot of personal growth since then but some people seem to be stuck on their petty and trollish ways

gret84.gif

Decent compared to the rest of her "discography", the worst song here. JUST LOVE will tank.

oh you skulldragged her :deadbanana: and the tankery was postponed for her next release, but it seems like that prediction turned out to be a hex considering miss girlie has vanished completely from the scene not counting that cash grab throwaway "best" album she just released which she didn't even have the guts to put her face on the cover of

gret84.gif

Edited by AMIT
  • Haha 1

I do feel partially responsible for Nishino's retirement because once the news about Namie's retirement started rolling in, I was like oh hell no we're gonna be left with Nishino now, Kamisama (by Miliyah) please take her too. And he did.

gret84.gif

1 hour ago, CityPop said:

Funny that you bring this up because I'm currently going through Miliyah's discography right now and I remember this album and HEAVEN standing out while Utopia felt like a dud when they came out.

I've heard about Miliyah but I've mostly been following BENI's discography so I didn't pay much attention to Miliyah until her Ring era. Currently, Femme Fatale is my favorite but I need to listen to her albums more in-depth. I've just started so Rose and Diamond Princess are great while TOKYO STAR isn't grabbing me as much. Looking forward to listening to her more especially this album since it was hot from beginning to end.

Utopia is definitely an unfortunate record that was probably hastily put together and built around the Moana song. I haven't revisited it since the release and have no desire to do it now. TOKYO STAR is also among her weakest records. I think she was on a great strike with Ring-HEAVEN-TRUE LOVERS-LOVELAND-Liberty, with HEAVEN, TRUE LOVERS and LOVELAND being my favorites. And then Femme Fatale was a return to form after Utopia. 

I'm actually planning to go over BENI's discography too, moving into her Universal era now, she's very underrated. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CityPop said:

Get into LOVELAND sis (but delete RUN FREE before hitting play). :WAP: 

Your taste is pretty in line with how I feel about her albums in general. :chick2:

TOKYO STAR has some good tracks, but like you said overall it was definitely a step down from her previous albums. Ring gets her back on track and it's very consistent with some great highs. HEAVEN and LOVELAND are my faves followed by Femme Fatale. I like TRUE LOVERS but it's sandwiched between her 2 best albums and not as good as those (眠れぬ夜のせいで is one of her best songs, though). LIBERTY is low key one of my faves too but it is a bit too long for its own good sadly. Utopia is her worst album, I enjoy it even less than her latest two which aren't all that either. She has so many good songs though including b-sides, definitely worth checking out! 

• Like 1

Clicked on a random artist in my player and discovered this singer who's giving the avex Jasmine.

Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed by her discography and can't even link the two songs that stood out to me because she isn't on streaming when people like sifow are at least on YouTube Music.

Love this song that a certain user named himself after:

Sex doesn't always sell but in her case it SERVED :clap3:

I understand why her label would want this trashy mess erased from history but I really need this song on Spotify :clack:

Edited by playboi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.