J-Pop Thread: Kana Nishino returns

Britneyfan09

On 5/4/2024 at 5:09 AM, romiskes said:

This is really good :clap3:

Yaaaas my trashy sisters that I posted about are back :jonny5: such an upgrade from Firetruck

Please please please don't disappear for a year again :jonny5:

On 2/26/2024 at 10:14 PM, illia said:

This is lowkey garbage but I'm bopping so hard :redface:

I NEEEED A FIRETRUUUUCK

Any j-pop recs with a similar hyperpop-ish/edm sound?

• Haha 1

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• Curaga

• AMIT

• UrMom

Top Posters In This Topic

I've revisited Ayumi's Love songs, which was one of my favorites by her, but I'm not sure now. The first half is still very strong to me, and even as TK skeptic I have to admit that his work on the album was superb. However, I don't think that the interludes are that strong/memorable, and I don't care much for Sweet Season, Virgin Road and Seven Days War (though the lyrics on that one are fine). Overall, it's probably still within my top 7 (we'll see after I revisit more albums), but now that I try to look at albums as a whole instead of basing my feelings on highlights, it does feel flawed to me. (miss)understood fans can rejoice, though, as that one has grown on me a lot, and Ladies Night has been on repeat.

180.gif?15631155181563115529

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Suilen said:

I've revisited Ayumi's Love songs, which was one of my favorites by her, but I'm not sure now. The first half is still very strong to me, and even as TK skeptic I have to admit that his work on the album was superb. However, I don't think that the interludes are that strong/memorable, and I don't care much for Sweet Season, Virgin Road and Seven Days War (though the lyrics on that one are fine). Overall, it's probably still within my top 7 (we'll see after I revisit more albums), but now that I try to look at albums as a whole instead of basing my feelings on highlights, it does feel flawed to me. (miss)understood fans can rejoice, though, as that one has grown on me a lot, and Ladies Night has been on repeat.

I've had (miss)understood in my queue for a while now, but haven't listened yet, and now I'll add Love Songs too! Sometimes it's hard for me to tell which releases are albums of new songs and which ones are compilations. I would have thought Love Songs is a compilation like A Ballads, but it looks like it's an album? :bunny2:

What's your personal favorite Ayu album? :matty:

3 minutes ago, Curaga said:

I've had (miss)understood in my queue for a while now, but haven't listened yet, and now I'll add Love Songs too! Sometimes it's hard for me to tell which releases are albums of new songs and which ones are compilations. I would have thought Love Songs is a compilation like A Ballads, but it looks like it's an album? :bunny2:

What's your personal favorite Ayu album? :matty:

Now, the sis might've released half of the album as singles, but don't do her like that.

My personal favorite is GUILTY because I like rock Ayumi, but I haven't revisited it yet, so we'll see it if manages to keep the spot. The second fave is Duty, which was confirmed upon a revisit, and I've even grown to like girlish/teddy bear. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Now, the sis might've released half of the album as singles, but don't do her like that.

My personal favorite is GUILTY because I like rock Ayumi, but I haven't revisited it yet, so we'll see it if manages to keep the spot. The second fave is Duty, which was confirmed upon a revisit, and I've even grown to like girlish/teddy bear. 

dddd that's what I mean, I really thought A Ballads was a compilation since a bunch of those track titles are on Rainbow too. Now I'm seeing Rainbow (track) isn't even on Rainbow (album) :suburban:

37 minutes ago, Curaga said:

dddd that's what I mean, I really thought A Ballads was a compilation since a bunch of those track titles are on Rainbow too. Now I'm seeing Rainbow (track) isn't even on Rainbow (album) :suburban:

I always forget about the Rainbow song because of that, though it's pretty good.

6 hours ago, Suilen said:

I always forget about the Rainbow song because of that, though it's pretty good.

Rainbow is really her best song. its healing power help me get thru my nasty break up :suburban:

• Like 2

ok that first track was definitely something, but the title track is a hit! :rockon:

1 hour ago, Curaga said:

ok that first track was definitely something, but the title track is a hit! :rockon:

Bold & Delicious does take time to get used to but that's not the one I still can't accept into my heart...

In my mind, missunderstood is the last solid album before the storyline started running stale 

On 5/6/2024 at 12:34 AM, Suilen said:

It was one of my early favorites for sure, but as I digged deeper in her discography it kinda lost its spark for me. It's a rather consistent album, but its highs are just not as good as her previous efforts'. I still think the title track is one of her top tracks, though.

You better stan one of her absolute best albums AND songs though. Rockyumi was addicted to serving. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 1:04 AM, Curaga said:

I mean you thought... right. The Rainbow track and that Yumi Matsutoya cover are the only 'new' songs on A BALLADS by the time of its release.

https://www.generasia.com/wiki/Hamasaki_Ayumi#Studio_Albums

You're welcome.

:suburban:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, thank god JASMINE has only 4 albums, and her best one is literally titled PURE LOVE BEST, can't have any confusion there.

• Haha 1

Liked it!

PERCHED

Still a jam

M7U6Ouv.gif

• Like 1

Kings gave us another bop. :gaycatina1: 

we need another album though 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 11:28 PM, Meloetta Carey said:

In my mind, missunderstood is the last solid album before the storyline started running stale 

Kinda feel the same even though I enjoy a lot of the stuff she released afterwards

They can never make me hate her though i mean she gave us this BIBLE

ab67616d0000b273b674182b19dd415923719cba

• Like 2

they're becoming the best EXILE group in my book :WAP: the KING that is KOKORO :WAP:

Continuing with Ayuma's discography revisit... GUILTY is still that ***** for me, I'm afraid, queen of rock and all. fated is the only song that fell off, decision... what a moment. untitled ~for her~ is still that lesbian anthem. I can acknowledge that there's some mood inconsistency going on, but those more uplifting songs are still good, so. Speaking of queens of rock, I hate that the tag for Mika's THE END is messed up on Spotify, I guess I'll have to listen to it in the old way.

Secret has grown on me a lot, I basically only used Born to be... and Beautiful Fighters (so embarrassing I even deleted my last.fm scrobbles for it) back in the day, but I definitely like more of it now. Startin' and 1 LOVE knock a bit. I probably need more time with the album as while I like individual songs, it doesn't quite work to me as a whole.

Now, My Story is an interesting case because I nominally considered myself a fan of the album (mostly because other people were generally meh on it), but I mostly focused on select songs. After listening to it properly, I do like it almost in its entirety, but I understand the hesitation to rank it among her best. You need to be in the right mood, some songs are not instant, the songs aren't really 'bops' in the traditional sense etc. Still, it tickles my sensibilities, so credit where it's due.

• Like 2

Lapone really in their bag with these girls like this is such an excellent song. They debut on 5/17

They ate

Posted (edited)

Im bored today Saturday, so i did a journey through all of ayumi discography for the ones who dont know her discography :siptea:
This is how i see all ayu albums. Correct me if im wrong sistrens
Im a fan since 2008
Im from latinoamerica. Sorry if my english is bad-low quality

OPEN THE SPOILERS!  Divided in 4 parts

:gaycat4: :

HER ACCLAIMED RECORDS

Spoiler

A Song For XX :  
Debut. Depressed Ayu,New to the industry and very lost in life and vulnerable. 
Filled with vintage retro jpop productions. 
Simplistic production but deep lyrics (Pop-Pop Rock)

xxpromohd5.gif

Loveappears :  
Depressed Ayu too but she's goin for a dancier trance techno direction probably inspired by the Y2K 90s-2000 trend of the time
and eurodance from the 90
More glamorous. Crying in the club. So many Hits (Trance-House-Techno-R&B)

XzeZNwk.jpeg

Duty
Depressed Ayu goin for a rockier direction this time instead of electro.
Stressed by her newfound fame-nostalgia-label pressures. So relatable (Pop Rock-Ethereal)

ayumihamasaki-duty021.jpg

I Am

Ayu is still Depressed and havin ear issues but the 9/11 events changed her outlook
She gets more positive and appreciative of life and cares more about her words and inspiring her fans.
This album is when she goes more experimental and less cohesive  (Trance, Techno, Pop Rock, Gospel)

promo-3.jpg1+HQ+Cover.jpg

Rainbow :  

Ayu is more happier now and is reflected in the singles like Rainbow-Independent
She's also very very exploratory in this era. She gets more international adding english words to her music
The Cover feels very Britney Esque.

(R&B, Dancepop, Trip Hop, Pop Rock, Classical Japanese Music, Summerish Vacanza :eli: pop music, Orchestal....a bit of everything)

rainbow6wc0.jpg

Memorial Address 

This feels like a compilation of all the best things from her early career and has one of her most personal moments with Memorial Address

Memorialaddresspromo.jpg

My Story

This one feels like her ealier records. Its Very duty. More autobiographical than past records
trying to appeal to herself instead of the fans.
Very rock-metal and feels very fantasy esque
Has some exotic songs like Inspire
This one really feels like Ayu turning into an Adult
Probably influenced by the all that pop punk and emo and nu metal tones from 2003-2005 worldwide. 

mystorycover33eq.jpg

Miss Understood
This is her peak and highest moment before slowin down?????
Her most experimental album at the moment. Reflecting her relationship at the time.
Very NY City. Album filled with covers from sweetbox.
Has her most expensive single Fairyland and some real good vids
So many Gems here

(R&B, Pop Rock, Spooky, Hard Rock, Traditional Japanese, Theatrical soulish, Summerish)

ee6fb989f8467ea8d9bd9387996fd026.jpg

DIVISIVE THOUGHTS.
SHIFT
SLOWIN DOWN

Spoiler

Secret

I think this is more like Ayu on autopilot. Navegating her big fame and just appealing to the fanbase. Just releasing the music she feels like. Intended as mini album
The album is also a heartbreak album about the relationship with her ex Nagase? and secrets about herself?
Electronic-Rock and so many ballads. Classic Ayu

20220717%20Random%20J%20Pop%20(Album%20Review)%20Ayumi%20Hamasaki%20-%20Secret%20%234.png

Guilty :
She went deaf in one ear. One of her best friends? died. She was havin lower sales. This is her darkest album ever
Very gothic and doesnt feel like a typical pop album
Is very symphonic rock-metal influenced. I honestly feel like this is one of her "magnum opus". Probably my fave ayu record
Its so dark and raw.
Love her voice here. Not as whiny as past records. Very raspy. So visual kei
Love how it has an uplifting feelin in the end. The sun after the storms

87e8a44f16be9b776e102e3de897b307.png

Next Level: 
Ayu was in a better mental state. She was more happy.
The album is mostly influenced by that electronic music wave from 2009-2011. Is also very social aware
There's some rock here but more electronic influenced than pure rock.
Some experiments like Green. Some ballads.
A big budget album. Very maximalist. Expensive videos.
Ayu also goin international with Rules (The song from dragon ball the movie) 

96423_nlusbmb_05_122_78lo.jpg

Very american album

RockNRollCircus:
This one is also Maximalist but like the inverse-reverse album of Next Level.
With darker tones and with a less liberal feeling. Secluded
She went to London to have a more refined-classy atmosphere.
Is a very diverse album but mostly focused on Rock Music instead of electronic
Has some really cool and different songs like Microphone-Dont Look Back-Sexy Little Things-Lady Dynamite
The production shines here

07_9.jpg

very european

Love Songs:  

Ayu goin back to the basics. Movin to a more minimalistic-stripped and nostalgic vibe. Very balladistic.
Very romantic. Her wedding-romance album.. Talkin about her marriage with Manu Schwartz.
Very orchestal. some pop rock. Some western folky influenced songs too like Love Song-Crossroad. 

20190210+Random+J+Pop+%2528Album+review%2529+Ayumi+Hamasaki+-+Love+Songs+%25232.png

Five
Album Dedicated to the Victims of that Japanese Earthquake of 2011
Solid tracks and the hypnotic arabic Brillante
Some urban tracks

47915-297740-201346183260933-190718530990365-568838-2806040-n-jpg

WHEN FANS JUST JUMPED SHIP AND WERE OVERCRITICAL OF EVERY SINGLE THING in all the forums
NOT SATISFIED WITH ANYTHING. So annoying. Like wendy said :eli:

Spoiler

Party Queen

Ayu divorces her husband and is highly scrutinized and this is seen in a bad light 
There are a lot of conspiracy also of how she's an alcoholic and addicted to partying. A messy woman in general
She's also serving sexy and thats seen with a bad light by the prudes
Her bangerz era. Fans are not in love with this
The album has Pop Rock tracks, Dubstep, Party Songs and Showman-Cabaret influenced songs
Is a fun record. Underrated

ee11ea94e0630e36388ca0db9b705328.jpg

Love Again :
So many songs from this album feel like theyre leftovers from past records
She also dates her dancer and it turns into a big mess. He ends up eating grass and blaming her for it
Two eras of scandals
The album is  is probably one the lowest points in her career
Love songs II but less exciting.  Very safe album. 
Some rock,ballads,asian influenced ones....

ayumi%2520hamasaki%2520LOVE%2520again%25201.jpg

Colours:

Ayu moves to the United States. LA. To live with her sexy Husband Tyson. Im just a hole sir.
She goes full American Pop Diva and is her first album fully produced by International Producers
Very Heavy EDM-Electrohouse esque. Some fans find it superficial and vapid. I think theyre boring.
She works with Van Bureen-Darkchild-Fedde Le Grand and The RedOne Team
Her japanese fans feel betrayed (3 Strike)

ColoursCDCover.jpg JDy371e.png

A One :  

Very Love Songs- esque??? Romantic? 
So many ballads and love songs but with a more sophisticated polished feeling??

Can be a bit boring but is saved by the amazing cover of Movin On Without You of Utada Hikaru
If im not wrong Fans were pleased with this album after the Overly superficial Colours

g3612865.jpg

Sixxxxxx / MADE IN JAPAN

Ayu divorces her husband and goes back to Japan. The distance is again ruining her marriages
Made In Japan has a small number of songs but all of them are really good 
EDM, Rock, Japanese, Tropical, Celtic, Acoustic
The Sixxx ones are nice too. Sumerish-Winter like
Made In Japan has good reception
The album Cover says it all. Ayu is loyal to japan but also trapped by them

AVCD-93157.jpg6146152

Trouble.
Ayu has writers block and is releasing  music just for the sake of it and touring
It has the Medieval dragon influenced We Are The Queens and some ballads and another rock track

MDMtNTY5Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

NEW ERA / AYU RENAISSANCE OR FINAL ALBUM

Spoiler

Remember You:

VQ4fWqO_XdtbkbT4VWoIG_XrNYB_KdtLu8yUFfeG

Ayu Renaissance

Ayu babies are born. She's not havin writer block
Diverse album with trendy House songs like Summer Again-Non Fiction,
Some Synthpop ones like Mask and great tracks like Not Rememnber u
The lyrics are also very relatable to the Covid Pandemic
A great comeback or goodbye album
We are pleased with her career or hyped for the next release 
What a DIVERSE DISCOGRAPHY. Some Jpop main pop girls wish they were this diverse lol

Ok thats it sistrens  :gaycat3:

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Save me, flop girl with under 300 monthly listeners

New album (only two previously unreleased songs) on June 5.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.