• Like 3

2 hours ago, Suilen said:

The avex-era Beni snapped here

Her music during those years was so good. Losin' control>>>>

Edited by Kyle-x
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sweetkiss said:

chenelle comeback

This is quite good. I see she's released some stuff here and there, so I'll try to check those out too. The @chenelleworld era was kinda iconic. 

18 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

Her music during those years was so good. Losin' control>>>>

Just done revisiting her albums from that era and that was a classic. Love Mirror Mirror too.

• Like 2

i like chenelle usually, this new track is just alright to me, like 3/5

new track by amamiya sora though :heart: ayu fans would like her i think

• Like 1

Mika's latest bunch of songs was nice, and she made We are all stars for the gays.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Mika's latest bunch of songs was nice, and she made We are all stars for the gays.

ok helloooooo :WAP:

love the drag video, but I like MISSION the best of these!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Curaga said:

ok helloooooo :WAP:

love the drag video, but I like MISSION the best of these!

I don't know how familiar you're with her previous stuff, but these might be of interest to you too:

7 hours ago, Hey Dude said:

Do we stan this track

Cute!

Edited by Suilen
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Suilen said:

I don't know how familiar you're with her previous stuff, but these might be of interest to you too:

Cute!

I was gonna say I had never heard of her before, but last.fm says I listened to a couple her songs years ago and I just forgot nnnnn

But I remember this album cover! 

Mika_MUSIC.jpg

But yes, absolutely, thanks for sharing! I will be checking out more of her stuff! :1stplace:

• Like 1

Working on the Shiina rate since she has a reasonable number of singles and has fans here and there, but there isn't a definitive list of her overall singles (physical + digital), so we're trying to compile something from different sources. Up to two Utada collabs might be featured in the rate. Please anticipate.

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Suilen said:

Working on the Shiina rate since she has a reasonable number of singles and has fans here and there, but there isn't a definitive list of her overall singles (physical + digital), so we're trying to compile something from different sources. Up to two Utada collabs might be featured in the rate. Please anticipate.

would the tokyo jihen stuff be in the rate? 

I'm kinda curious to see what people think of the songs since 2010 or so (I've only got up to Sanmon Gossip + the Nakata collab). Since it's a single rate, that already says a lot without saying much. 

24 minutes ago, Meloetta Carey said:

would the tokyo jihen stuff be in the rate? 

I'm kinda curious to see what people think of the songs since 2010 or so (I've only got up to Sanmon Gossip + the Nakata collab). Since it's a single rate, that already says a lot without saying much. 

If I manage to feature enough of her solo stuff + collabs, then we could do without Tokyo Jihen since they are likely to intimidate people, and we don't want that. As for her post 2010 stuff, I'd say there are some highlights, but then almost the enterity of Sandokushi / triviṣa-itihāsa was released as singles, and that one is quite controversial. So I expect her earlier singles to dominate mostly.

4 hours ago, Suilen said:

I've been meaning to get into her music so this is exciting :lakitu:

• Like 3

Also count me as a likely participant. I need to get educated on the ways of Ms Shiina :heart:

And I have no qualm with listening to the Tokyo Jihen stuff too, if it comes to that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Subomie said:

Also count me as a likely participant. I need to get educated on the ways of Ms Shiina :heart:

And I have no qualm with listening to the Tokyo Jihen stuff too, if it comes to that.

The funny thing is that back in the way I used to prefer Tokyo Jihen to her solo stuff and wouldn't have hesistated to add them but these days... Even if the band's recent album (and EP) is technically better than hers, it's also kind of... unapproachable to a certain extent and probably wouldn't find enough appreciation. But I will revisit their diecography too and see what could be appropriate for the rate since it IS a part of her artistry. Maybe only the singles that she both wrote and produced.

• Like 1

Also, instead of the onerous task of trying to rate Ayumi's/Namie's discographies, I'd suggest a ~Heisei diva rate~, which is an idea I've been toying with for a while but had to drop since Utada doesn't exactly identify as one anymore. But the gist is that we rate the best-selling studio albums by the girls who started their careers in the Heisei era, and without Utada the line-up would be like this:

Namie Amuro - Sweet 19 Blues

Ayumi Hamasaki - Duty

Mai Kuraki - Delicious Way

Ringo Shiina - Shouso Strip

Tomomi Kahara - Love Brace

MISIA - Mother Father Brother Sister

There's also Nanase Aikawa's Red, but it'd probably be overload, and who knows her, right?

It's not perfect, and quality-wise some artists have their best here and some... don't, but it is what it is since we don't exactly have a Japanese Pitchfork to dictate which albums are the best except for that best Japanese ROCK albums list that includes First Love and Perfume's GAME. Anyway, just throwing the idea out there, maybe we could do it at some point after Shiina.

On 1/7/2024 at 12:08 AM, New Edition said:

3 members of King & Prince went to Tobe (a label fronted by another former J&A dude) and they just dropped their first single as Number_i. Hirano Sho is among the three!

What do we think?

These three have been wanting to make songs that sound more like kpop for a long time. They can dance well and their songs are not bad either. Dance performance videos are better, at least they don't have those annoying cuts.

But I personally like the new group, which is their labelmate, more.

On 2/1/2024 at 9:06 PM, Suilen said:

The avex-era Beni snapped here

This and FLASH FLASH are bops. The variety that this girl displayed during her Avex days. What's nice about her transition to BENI is the improvement in her vocals.
She is covering Celine and Whitney now.

Edited by CityPop
  • Like 1

Some recent releases:

The Daichi song is actually pretty great. Kumiko is cute, and for once I prefer her ballad over the noise that Vroom was. 

Also, I can't help sharing this bop by Mai Kuraki as I'm in the middle of trying to listen to all of her albums and find some lost gems. She might never beat the Conan girl allegations, but she sure knows how to make them:

+ Shiina seems to be recording (probably a new album)

202402x_01.jpg

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if Shiina would include the millenium parade singles on her album, she would certainly be dumb not to unless another MP project is in the works (and it BETTER BE :ghostface:)

anyways do y'all know these queens?

city pop bliss I fear

this song has to be one of my fave jpop songs of this decade, it's just so catchy + their soft vocals idk they put some kind of crack in it 

they released their debut last year but I could not dive into it much since this EP above still has a chokehold on me :redface:

• Like 1

The thread is giving JASMINE's current fanbase.

50 minutes ago, AMIT said:

I wonder if Shiina would include the millenium parade singles on her album, she would certainly be dumb not to unless another MP project is in the works (and it BETTER BE :ghostface:)

anyways do y'all know these queens?

city pop bliss I fear

this song has to be one of my fave jpop songs of this decade, it's just so catchy + their soft vocals idk they put some kind of crack in it 

they released their debut last year but I could not dive into it much since this EP above still has a chokehold on me :redface:

JR sounds very nice, let me listen to the mini and then the album. Not fvckin' sisters though, incest queens!

-

Rediscovered this while revisiting FUTURE KISS, perfect for the coldest days of the year and the album might be her best unless her late 00s albums prove me wrong.

gifs-gretchen.gif

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.