• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• popularmoonlight

• AFullMoonlight

• Flare

• nooniebao

Off Topic the Havana singer to me has lost all of her hype. I'm sorry but if Normani flopped I'm going to have to say the other girl did too. If Normani had just managed the money more for this debut I think it could've easily did 20k. I just don't understand why she can't post on her main account. To me it's not like she really is the majorly outgoing person so it would be common sense to post your music stuff on you main if. That way it reaches more people. IDK if Lydia has told her but she needs coverage. There should be a post whether it be ig, twitter, TT atleast once a week. it could be whatever as long as it's engaging and in line with her brand it shouldn't be that much of a problem, The Havana girl posts all day and night and her fans are fed so that's why she will always have atleast someone streaming her music. I want the same for Normani. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justifymythreads said:

Off Topic the Havana singer to me has lost all of her hype. I'm sorry but if Normani flopped I'm going to have to say the other girl did too. If Normani had just managed the money more for this debut I think it could've easily did 20k. I just don't understand why she can't post on her main account. To me it's not like she really is the majorly outgoing person so it would be common sense to post your music stuff on you main if. That way it reaches more people. IDK if Lydia has told her but she needs coverage. There should be a post whether it be ig, twitter, TT atleast once a week. it could be whatever as long as it's engaging and in line with her brand it shouldn't be that much of a problem, The Havana girl posts all day and night and her fans are fed so that's why she will always have atleast someone streaming her music. I want the same for Normani. 

Camila is flopping but she still sells more than Normani so it's better to not really pay attention to this, only if her stans get brave it's funny to show them her awful numbers. 

You know you can flop, but at least entertain your fans, people that will support you no matter what. Normani does not do that with socials (if she really hates it she needs to hire somebody) but Camila does. Since the release of Dopamine we didn't do a q&a, a behind the since of the record of a song, a performance, a music video, a lil vlog. I guess maybe she didn't wanna be online the first weeks maybe because of the haters trolling the numbers and has a plan for the next weeks, I hope so. 

Edited by Givemeyourcoat

So the video is not coming this week… ok. At this point, the song isn't relevant anymore. So money is going to the trash. We will never have nice things 

On 7/3/2024 at 2:22 PM, VENUSlAN said:

Also why couldnt she go on club shay shay 

Respectfully that is not her audience, same with the breakfast club.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I just don't understand the point of holding videos hostage :rip: Maybe she's still making changes to it 

• Like 2

This is so irritating lmao, we finally get the album and it's great! Literally an incredible debut album… and they give us absolutely nothing after lmao. 

By the time she drops the Candy Paint video, people will have moved on.

WHAT IS SHE WAITING FOR? She's giving the people NOTHING to work with, she's a new act, she has to sell her album. You're a performer/visual artist, why isn't there ANY visual to consume? 

Edited by stephen1108
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, AntiHarmony said:

Respectfully that is not her audience, same with the breakfast club.

I agree about Club Shay Shay, but she absolutely SHOULD be on The Breakfast Club and similar. 

This points to a bigger issue I've always had with her promo: she doesn't sufficiently cater to the BLACK audience. 

Yes, she came from a Pop group. But the entire "Normani is that b*tch" / and even the hate is very much Black Twitter-led. Yet, she/her team "appear" to have made it almost a point of duty to not do Black press like "that-that". Despite ironically making the Blackest music with everything post Motivation and espcially this album. 

She has never been on any of the following:

* The Breakfast Club

* Angie Martinez

* Hot 97 (she always opts to speak to Ebro on Apple Music)

* V103 

* Angela Yee

* The Shade Room  and Similar (There's a Tasteful Way to Engage)

* Essence: Magazine or Festival

Instead, she approaches her promo like a Pop act:

* VMAs

* Apple Music

* Elle, The Cut, etc. Basically a bunch of Becky magazines that don't speak to her core demo.

* Zach Sang

* Fashion Events

* Z100 (Motivation, Wild Side)

I actually have no issues with her Pop promo, I just think she's uniquely positioned to COMBINE both lanes for maximum benefit. Z100 will never care to talk to a Summer Walker for example but will wilfully chat with Mani because of the 5H connection. Same way, Black platforms would gladly take her on, especially as that's the music she's anchoring her sound in. 

In throwing her a bone, all of the above makes what happened with the BET Awards sad because it's a step in the right direction.

I've stanned and studied enough acts over time to know that when you have the Black audience on lock, they often ride with you til the wheels fall off. It's a very valuable audience to cultivate and actively water. 

In Lydia also managing Coco Jones, I hope they take notes from that playbook. Because Coco is so anchored in the Black cultural space that her name / brand awareness actually supersedes any commercial expectation around her music. The Black audience simply know and like...her. And because, IMO, we largely dictate the "cultural cool" and inform trends, that then leads to broader recognition (e.g. her Grammys). Normani could and should benefit from that.

Edited by Cbreezy
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Normani doesn't need to be anywhere near TBC or TSR. The T in those names might as well stand for TOXIC.

Hot97 is irrelevant these days and more hip hop / male focused.

Angie Martinez, sure, but she has an older audience than Normani's target demo and Normani isn't really the type to open up in interviews. Same with Angela Yee.

The BET Awards would have been great for her and I'd love to see her at the Essence Festival or similar festivals, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards this era.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 40_L3VE said:

Normani doesn't need to be anywhere near TBC or TSR. The T in those names might as well stand for TOXIC.

Angie Martinez, sure, but she has an older audience than Normani's target demo and Normani isn't really the type to open up in interviews. Same with Angela Yee.

The BET Awards would have been great for her and I'd love to see her at the Essence Festival or similar festivals, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards this era.

I respectfully disagree. Totally, in fact!

The last line of your message actually highlights her issue at large: she won't easily book the BET Awards or similar if she doesn't take a brick-by-brick approach to building her cultural stock before being able to land any such performance. 

I love our girl and want ALL the things for her, but the fact of the matter is that she is not OWED a slot at the BET Awards or even VMAs.

She is a Black artist, making Black music for a Black audience that (outside of Black stan Twitter) doesn't know her. I have a bunch of friends offline, who consume this all very passively, who couldn't tell you a thing about Mani outside of the odd song or "did her album ever come out"? Put simply, there's A LOT of brand work to do. Work that includes foundation building by meeting your core audience where they are at. BET, Essence, TBC, Hot 97, etc. And SUPPLEMENTING that with the Pop stuff. She has her ish the wrong way round atm IMO.

To be more direct and, again, I love her down, but factually speaking she is flopping atm. And flopping majorly. There's no way around that fact. So, she and by proxy we (as her fans) are not really positioned to be cherry-picking what she can and can't do promo-wise. She needs to do it all!

If the likes of Ciara, Chloe, Coco etc are doing sitdown interviews with TSR (30 mill followers) and Cardi doing Hollywood Unlocked, Normani is no kind of way...above that. I get it, it's not GMA or Vogue, but it's called...meeting your core audience where they are at. 

Mani is hella talented, so once the buzz catches that this girl is a must for any and every platform going, she'll be in stride. 

Maybe I'm a little...seasoned lol...but I remember the times when artists actually had to hustle and grind for a huge slot like an award show performance. And IMO, it's still the case today.

A big part of Normani's problem IMO is that they are moving premium before she earns a premium. Yes, we live in the era of virality and overnight success. And yes, in theory she slays more than most of the people comfortably landing these slots. But true success in entertainment is very much still built on the age old analogy of: work hard, yield the results. American Dream etc. A big part of that is aggressive promo and performing like it's the VMAs even if it's for VEVO or her own YT channel. That and doing all the promo available. 

Mani won't cultivate this huge audience and become the "thing" we want her to be by waiting for big platforms that may or may not cut her some slack, because - as of now - she is not owed anything. 

Edited by Cbreezy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, 40_L3VE said:

Exactly.

2 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

The last line of your message actually highlights her issue at large: she won't easily book the BET Awards or similar if she doesn't take a brick-by-brick approach to building her cultural stock before being able to land any such performance. 

I love our girl and want ALL the things for her, but the fact of the matter is that she is not OWED a slot at the BET Awards or even VMAs.

She is a Black artist, making Black music for a Black audience that (outside of Black stan Twitter) doesn't know her. I have a bunch of friends offline, who consume this all very passively, who couldn't tell you a thing about Mani outside of the odd song or "did her album ever come out"? Put simply, here's A LOT of brand work to do. Work that includes foundation building by meeting your core audience where they are at. BET, Essence, TBC, Hot 97, etc. And SUPPLEMENTING that with the Pop stuff. She has her ish the wrong way round atm IMO.

To be more direct and, again, I love her down, but factually speaking she is flopping atm. And flopping majorly. There's no way around that fact. So, she and by proxy we (as her fans) are not really positioned to be cherry-picking what she can and can't do promo-wise. She needs to do it all!

If the likes of Ciara, Chloe, Coco etc are doing sitdown interviews with TSR (30 mill followers) and Cardi doing Hollywood Unlocked, Normani is no kind of way...above that. I get it, it's not GMA or Vogue, but it's called...meeting your core audience where they are at. 

Mani is hella talented, so once the buzz catches that this girl is a must for any and every platform going, she'll be in stride. 

Maybe I'm a little...seasoned lol...but I remember the times when artists actually had to hustle and grind for a huge slot like an award show performance. And IMO, it's still the case today.

A big part of Normani's problem IMO is that they are moving premium before she earns a premium. Yes, we live in the era of virality and overnight success. And yes, in theory she slays more than most of the people comfortably landing these slots. But true success in entertainment is very much still built on the age old analogy of: work hard, yield the results. American Dream etc. A big part of that is aggressive promo and performing like it's the VMAs even if it's for VEVO or her own YT channel. That and doing all the promo available. 

Mani won't cultivate this huge audience and become the "thing" we want her to be by waiting for big platforms that may or may not cut her some slack, because - as of now - she is not owed anything. 

Many of the nation have the same problem. They think because of the global success she owned over the years she is owed every slot in any award shows. The truth is her first audience is pop because she used to make pop music, so the black audience doesn't care about her having hits with her ex band and collaborators. Her only « black hit » was wild side and it was 3yo ago so she def has cater more and more to that audience. Plus the last time she charted and released MV was in 2021 but watched twitter nation getting mad and talking about colorism if she doesn't get a slot at the VMA's this year. 

Edited by Givemeyourcoat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

She is a Black artist, making Black music for a Black audience that (outside of Black stan Twitter) doesn't know her. I have a bunch of friends offline, who consume this all very passively, who couldn't tell you a thing about Mani outside of the odd song or "did her album ever come out"? Put simply, here's A LOT of brand work to do. Work that includes foundation building by meeting your core audience where they are at. BET, Essence, TBC, Hot 97, etc. And SUPPLEMENTING that with the Pop stuff. She has her ish the wrong way round atm IMO.

I never said she was "owed" a spot anywhere.

I'm absolutely with you that she needs to work her way up to the big stages. However, I disagree with which path she should / could take to get there.

Edited by 40_L3VE

Real talk though - if they invested money in the candy paint video why are they holding onto it? For what? Lol. If the money was spent I feel like the next logical step is - releasing it? If anything it will help boost sales like wtf 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Motivation93 said:

Real talk though - if they invested money in the candy paint video why are they holding onto it? For what? Lol. If the money was spent I feel like the next logical step is - releasing it? If anything it will help boost sales like wtf 

Nothing makes sense😭

• Like 1

I see it for her artistry and talent, but no visual content 3 weeks post-release is actually ridiculous.

If there's label pushback re: releasing videos, somebody needs to leak something and force their hand à la Amerie with 1 Thing.

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Motivation93 said:

Here are some possible reasons why the music video for "Candy Paint" might not have been released yet:

1. Strategic Timing: The artist or label might be waiting for a more strategic time to release the video, such as aligning it with other promotional events or releases.

2. Post-Production Issues: There could be delays in the post-production process, such as editing, special effects, or other finishing touches that are taking longer than expected.

3. Marketing Plans: The marketing team might be developing a more comprehensive campaign to maximize the video's impact, which could involve scheduling and coordinating various promotional activities.

4. Approval Delays: The video might be waiting for final approvals from various stakeholders, such as the artist, director, or record label executives.

5. Distribution Negotiations: There could be ongoing negotiations about distribution platforms, exclusive premieres, or partnerships that need to be finalized before the release.

6. External Factors: Unexpected external factors, such as changes in the market, competition, or other unforeseen circumstances, could have impacted the release schedule.

7. Creative Revisions: The artist or director might have decided to make creative changes or improvements to the video, which can delay the release.

8. Build Anticipation: Sometimes, holding onto a video can build anticipation and excitement among fans, potentially leading to a more impactful release when it finally drops.

Ultimately, without specific information from the artist or label, it's hard to know the exact reason.

We knew she went silent after every release, but who would've thought this would also happen to her debut album? :deadbanana2:  The only thing we can look foward to is that barbecue on the 13th she's attending, unless she cancels that too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

She has never been on any of the following:

* The Breakfast Club

* Angie Martinez

* Hot 97 (she always opts to speak to Ebro on Apple Music)

* V103 

* Angela Yee

* The Shade Room  and Similar (There's a Tasteful Way to Engage)

* Essence: Magazine or Festival

Instead, she approaches her promo like a Pop act:

* VMAs

* Apple Music

* Elle, The Cut, etc. Basically a bunch of Becky magazines that don't speak to her core demo.

* Zach Sang

* Fashion Events

* Z100 (Motivation, Wild Side)

Please clock it.

Normani is making music that predominantly appeals to BLACK audience but she does near 0 BLACK media. Everything you listed, she should do at some point in the era but she won't.

Then you wonder why the album fell right off the charts. She tried pushing a r&b album to a pop audience but also hates pop music (so why even go to those outlets when it does nothing for you and you hate doing interviews anyways lol)? Everything in her promo, branding, etc. contradicts badly and that's why the album couldn't even muster enough streams to stay on the Billboard 200 one more week.

We need to stop sugar coating and making excuses for her/the team. This era is a mess from top to bottom and disrespectful to the fans who waited years. Then it's still all this mystery in 2024. Fans should never have to speculate so hard about if we're getting a *music video* or not from the album when it's already filmed. Not to mention, we already played this game with Fair and its video (which got scrapped).

They need to tighten up at Normani HQ. I've seen first hand Doja, Coco, Victoria, Chloe, Latto, and more have VERY low budget rollouts but they still keep pushing, communicating, and being visible. Her new team is making S10 look VASTLY better (which is insane). 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, popularmoonlight said:

we can look foward to is that barbecue on the 13th she's attending

B-- Barbecue?? We are in the PITS, good god :grill::bibliahh: I am still streaming the album daily, though

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, RajibDavid said:

Here are some possible reasons why the music video for "Candy Paint" might not have been released yet:

1. Strategic Timing: The artist or label might be waiting for a more strategic time to release the video, such as aligning it with other promotional events or releases.

2. Post-Production Issues: There could be delays in the post-production process, such as editing, special effects, or other finishing touches that are taking longer than expected.

3. Marketing Plans: The marketing team might be developing a more comprehensive campaign to maximize the video's impact, which could involve scheduling and coordinating various promotional activities.

4. Approval Delays: The video might be waiting for final approvals from various stakeholders, such as the artist, director, or record label executives.

5. Distribution Negotiations: There could be ongoing negotiations about distribution platforms, exclusive premieres, or partnerships that need to be finalized before the release.

6. External Factors: Unexpected external factors, such as changes in the market, competition, or other unforeseen circumstances, could have impacted the release schedule.

7. Creative Revisions: The artist or director might have decided to make creative changes or improvements to the video, which can delay the release.

8. Build Anticipation: Sometimes, holding onto a video can build anticipation and excitement among fans, potentially leading to a more impactful release when it finally drops.

Ultimately, without specific information from the artist or label, it's hard to know the exact reason.

All of this in literal terms makes perfect sense and you clearly have a spot-on understanding of how the game works. 

HOWEVER...

All logic (in her team's approach) goes out of the window when contextualizing the situation through the lens of the album having been out for THREE WEEKS. Without any preceding videos or any real push. 

There is nothing strategically advantageous about NOT dropping a video for a song that has a) been out for a hot minute and b) sits on an album that did 12k first week.

It's all so chaotic that I have no option but to believe that there is something serious beyond the breadth of her control at play. 

I'm talking potential legal drama with previous management or potential legal drama with the label. Something big of that ilk because not a shred of this makes sense. 

Flopping into oblivion doesn't even set her up well (in terms of leverage) for another major label deal elsewhere, so I really struggle to see how this in any way could be "strategy". 

She's between a rock and a hard place. Because speaking up and contextualizing ish would provide us with the "ohhhh, I get it now" understanding that we're seeking. But industry-wise, I get that she has to keep up appearances and not burn certain bridges publicly when it comes to future opportunities. 

Sigh.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.