Normani

URBAN

28 minutes ago, justifymythreads said:

So if we can’t talk about her potential music than what are we to talk about? Wanting a particular artist to being versatile and to cater to her audience while expanding said audience isn’t something that only A&R’s think about. All of us are happy that she is releasing (as it has been a long time coming.) 

However, we can discuss our hopes and expectations as well. @WheresJay has told us that we are getting an R&B and we made note of her pursuing only an R&B. R&B is popular but what most of her fanbase comes from is the remnants of a pop group. Thus, a good portion of her immediate fan base expect some pop as well as R&B. Making mention of that isn’t complaining but is being intrigued at her choice to somewhat abandon her original fan base. 

Sitting and discussing something that you’re not getting from an artist who has repeatedly said what type of music that she wants to make feels a bit insane. 

But if you want to talk into the abyss about something that has been clear as day not happening for a while then sure have at it. Be reductive.

If her fan base can’t enjoy what she puts out then they were likely never actual fans of her….rather the image of her that they constructed in their mind.

• Like 1

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• popularmoonlight

• AFullMoonlight

• Flare

• nooniebao

37 minutes ago, _jays_ said:

Sitting and discussing something that you’re not getting from an artist who has repeatedly said what type of music that she wants to make feels a bit insane. 

But if you want to talk into the abyss about something that has been clear as day not happening for a while then sure have at it. Be reductive.

If her fan base can’t enjoy what she puts out then they were likely never actual fans of her….rather the image of her that they constructed in their mind.

So I guess we’re just going to disregard everything I just said. I LIKE THE SNIPPET. But coming off a 2 year hiatus; she should want a single that she can reach her core fan base AND the general public. If you haven’t noticed the R&B community is very fickle. The only one who has really taken off from this current era of R&B artists are SZA, Summer, and Coco. So in my mind I don’t think it’s a good idea to cut off the pop fans who really held her down to go in a direction that totally deviates from what most of her listeners are listening to. Her most streamed songs both as a collage and solo are guess what?! POP. I’m just making observations. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, _jays_ said:

Normani has been doing pop with her group and as a soloist so if a pop friendly fan expect her to take the pop route he isn’t wrong. They didn’t constructed an image in their mind because it’s reality. 

10 minutes ago, Givemeyourcoat said:

Normani has been doing pop with her group and as a soloist so if a pop friendly fan expect her to take the pop route he isn’t wrong. They didn’t constructed an image in their mind because it’s reality. 

And she has said that isn’t what she wants to do so THAT’S the reality. 

going back in time isn’t going to change that. This is where we are. 

It’s really that simple. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Givemeyourcoat said:

Sure but the truth is Normani has expressed a desire to not be pure pop. She understands how fickle a pop market can be for black women and wants roots with R&B audiences who grow with you. 

There is no pure pop on this album. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WheresJay said:

Sure but the truth is Normani has expressed a desire to not be pure pop. She understands how fickle a pop market can be for black women and wants roots with R&B audiences who grow with you. 

Yeah I understand. I just want that era to be successful number wise so her trolls can shut up for a least five minutes. And also I hope that during this era she is really, really focus on building a relationship with her fanbase. But a big part of her core fanbase is pop friendly are they gonna relate to an mostly r&b album? I don’t know I’m asking myself a lot of questions and I’m scared cause again I want it to be successful 

Edited by Givemeyourcoat
Better
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Givemeyourcoat said:

Yeah I understand. I just want that era to be successful number wise so her trolls can shut up for a least five minutes. And also I hope that during this era she is really, really focus on building a relationship with her fanbase. But a big part of her core fanbase is pop friendly are they gonna relate to a mostly r&b album? I don’t know I’m asking myself a lot of questions and I’m scared cause again I want it to be successful 

And that's reasonable. I too wish she went for a more global sound but let's see it grow. 

• Like 7

Normani should do some collabs with Pop artists on their albums  .

18 minutes ago, WheresJay said:

And that's reasonable. I too wish she went for a more global sound but let's see it grow. 

Are there any elements of pop on any of the songs? Are there any songs as high energy and uptempo as Candy Paint (I know that's still on the album)?

4 hours ago, jdanton2 said:

i wonder if this song is the potential single.

I’m willing to bet it is the lead single. 

2 hours ago, justifymythreads said:

So if we can’t talk about her potential music than what are we to talk about? Wanting a particular artist to being versatile and to cater to her audience while expanding said audience isn’t something that only A&R’s think about. All of us are happy that she is releasing (as it has been a long time coming.) 

However, we can discuss our hopes and expectations as well. @WheresJay has told us that we are getting an R&B and we made note of her pursuing only an R&B. R&B is popular but what most of her fanbase comes from is the remnants of a pop group. Thus, a good portion of her immediate fan base expect some pop as well as R&B. Making mention of that isn’t complaining but is being intrigued at her choice to somewhat abandon her original fan base. 

I feel like r&b is having a moment. We have a lot of r&b girlies co existing and doing just fine right now. So I feel like the worries for Normani are a bit premature. She doesn’t have to be just one thing, she’s always straddled the pop/r&b line anyways and I think she will continue doing that throughout her career. 

• Like 3

Be calm y’all. She sees everything! 

• Like 1

Or even more radio friendly digestible r&b if that makes sense? Especially if she said she wants that 90s early 2000s vibe 

1 hour ago, nooniebao said:

I find it funny how Dinah is the only one that communicates w/ Camila lmao. The other 3 don’t pay her no mind.  She also continues to try to get through to normani publicly, to try to show a “united front”.

guilty conscience maybe

Edited by Ms.cleo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, wildsidenormani said:

Be calm y’all. She sees everything! 

We’re happy she is releasing but I’m just trying to gather the information so that I can anticipate how this is going to sound. I like R&B and Alternative R&B; that’s not the problem but to me I think that a lot of her Black/R&B listeners are casual while her real fans are more in tune with pop. Hence why I actually thought using Candy Paint as an introduction into her more R&B centric music could’ve helped her pop fans transition into this new era. As an artist you have to think about your audience. It’s cute and all to say that “I’m making the music I listen to”. But taking into account what your audience is also apart of being an artist. Just look at Doja Cat; she likes pure rap but excels at more pop and R&B sounding songs. So her album was actually good but it didn’t do as well as her other albums because it deviated much from what made her popular. 

• Like 1

It better not be filled with slow rnb 

Time for a new banner @URBAN 🤭

13 hours ago, WheresJay said:

I am very pleased with this information.

All the talk in here about “core fans” please show me the market survey you all took to verify that her fanbase (as of 2024) is primarily pop? If anything pop fans are the listeners that are more open TO other genres given the artist has pop sensibilities (image etc). I also feel like a lot of us have forgotten what Wild Side did for her career and artistry. Motivation was a big moment yes but WS earned her respect and industry cred. It’s all about how she finds her lane within the genre and knows what suits her voice. 

Anyone who’s been paying attention to the music landscape knows that pop is a little dead right now, R&B is where it’s at with streaming/user data from trade pubs highlighting its growth each year this decade. Meanwhile if you do a little research you’ll see Pop is dipping while Country stands strong. She has star power, great taste for concepts and gorgeous tone, I believe when put in the hands of a team that wants to see her win, she will thrive.

Let’s all wait and see how the Dopamine rollout goes before getting up in arms. She will do well.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, justifymythreads said:

So I guess we’re just going to disregard everything I just said. I LIKE THE SNIPPET. But coming off a 2 year hiatus; she should want a single that she can reach her core fan base AND the general public. If you haven’t noticed the R&B community is very fickle. The only one who has really taken off from this current era of R&B artists are SZA, Summer, and Coco. So in my mind I don’t think it’s a good idea to cut off the pop fans who really held her down to go in a direction that totally deviates from what most of her listeners are listening to. Her most streamed songs both as a collage and solo are guess what?! POP. I’m just making observations. 

I think R&B is actually ripe for the taking especially with Beyoncé releasing country. I don’t see a problem with some pop-y songs that are actually urban. As a few ppl said before me R&B is actually one of the up and coming genres especially with SZA’s global success with her second album. I think the world is primed and ready for Dopamine. Also let’s not forget Lydia has her finger in the vein of this industry. We should trust the new management she hired. Cus so far we’ve only seen Lydia’s work. We don’t know what the other manager is doing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlteKing said:

I am very pleased with this information.

All the talk in here about “core fans” please show me the market survey you all took to verify that her fanbase (as of 2024) is primarily pop? If anything pop fans are the listeners that are more open TO other genres given the artist has pop sensibilities (image etc). I also feel like a lot of us have forgotten what Wild Side did for her career and artistry. Motivation was a big moment yes but WS earned her respect and industry cred. It’s all about how she finds her lane within the genre and knows what suits her voice. 

Anyone who’s been paying attention to the music landscape knows that pop is a little dead right now, R&B is where it’s at with streaming/user data from trade pubs highlighting its growth each year this decade. Meanwhile if you do a little research you’ll see Pop is dipping while Country stands strong. She has star power, great taste for concepts and gorgeous tone, I believe when put in the hands of a team that wants to see her win, she will thrive.

Let’s all wait and see how the Dopamine rollout goes before getting up in arms. She will do well.

Yeah. You’re right but we also need some music that she can perform to. She isn’t the most vocally sound artist. So I’m just saying R&B can be seeing some growth but to me pop demographic is more prone to actually buy tickets and support. If you noticed even seasoned artists have loyal fans that support their releases even if they aren’t that great. Just look at Miley most of her fans are from Hannah Montana and she was able to keep them and be able to sustain herself just off those fans alone. Normani is in the same boat as well; most of her fans are from 5H. So having music that they will like as well as the GP can help diversify and even strengthen her fan base. 

• Like 1

With all due respect, this genre discourse is a bit tired. What's going to happen, is going to happen. We have no control over that. Instead, we should be cherishing this moment. I'm not saying people can't have their opinions, but I really see no point in talking about something that's inevitable. I just feel that we should let the music speak for itself, before we get ahead of ourselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just want to skip to the part where I'm at the concert shouting the lyrics in the front row. Although, to the person who said R&B audiences are fickle or something similar, I disagree. The reason only a handful of artist have popped off in the genre is because that handful is making the only R&B worth listening to. I check the New Friday drops faithfully and a lot of the material being released is lackluster tbh. The tides seem to be turning, but I think if Normani can deliver anything as decent as those artist you listed, than she'll be able to grow and lockdown a new fanbase. 

Personally, I never saw N being a Black Britney Spears or super bubblegum pop. I envisioned her being a more modern Janet with tracks like If, All For You, Together Again, and etc. That's the lane she needs to be in imo. If anybody could deliver a modern day Red Velvet Rope, it would definitely be Normani. She has the same type of voice as Janet. Her cover of All For You is good.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.