Lady Gaga

Phoenixstar
Ryan
Message added by Ryan,

Please remember to use spoiler tags when discussing Joker FD

So.... saw the movie last night with my hetero bestie who loved the first movie. He gave this movie a 6.5/10 while the first gets an 8.5/10. We both went into it thinking it was going to be the worst thing we've ever seen and it just wasn't? Multiple times throughout, I thought to myself, "did they recut the film and I'm seeing the new version" because what I heard about it and what I was watching were not the same. :rip: 90% of the complaints I heard prior to seeing the film just weren't in the movie to my knowledge? Gaga is not sidelined; she is in the entire movie. The movie isn't entirely a "courtroom drama". The musical numbers, while sometimes feeling a little forced, did not illicit an "omg, stop with this" feeling from me. No one in my theater walked out. The older guy next to me was jamming to all the music :ahh:.

My bestie and I both agreed they could've dove into the Lee plot a little more and he thought Gaga "looked hot" with the bob at the end. :eli: The main issue was how they really didn't explain why Arthur was suddenly singing since in the first movie his musical bits were a lot more subtle? I think there was a missed opportunity to dive more into that. I didn't realize at first that the musical numbers were

psychotic breaks

but once I realized it, I was like, ok work this is clever.

I saw someone complain that the ending retconned Joker's character but I don't see it that way.

The prison guards literally raped the Joker out of him and that made him realize his mistakes near the end.

Was it the best thing ever? No, but I now fully think it is just a bandwagon. All my hatred toward Todd Phillips was silly and I kinda love that the ending was a big FU to the fans lol.

Edited by Sannie
  • Like 9

• Replies 220k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Infernal Paradise

• Almodusa

• hausofbryan

• Artur

1 minute ago, Janet said:

Still no insta post? Where is she :suburban:

WB probably told not to promote the film anymore because it's a waste of time. 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Janet said:

She shouldn't post anything, we're not ready for those angry incel fanboys hate comments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Hair said:

Back to over 11M!

Spotify Global

#1 - 11,312,356

USA

#2 (+1) - 2,025,300

The Weeknd dropped behind DWAS, and DWAS is only 10K behind Taste:1stplace:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Janet said:

Probably preparing for LG7 lead MV. Hopefully she'll debut a new choreographer

:suburban:

My favourite scene in JFAD was this.

Spoiler

spacer.png

:nicole:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GipJo said:

The Weeknd dropped behind DWAS, and DWAS is only 10K behind Taste:1stplace:

We were only 1,114 streams away from getting a new streams peak in the UK :DWAS:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paperfectdelusion said:

She shouldn't post anything, we're not ready for those angry incel fanboys hate comments.

Her entire career she's been plagued by haters, who cares? lol

Posters complaining we're hiding in the base when the Gaga base is the only good thread on the forum right now. 

2 minutes ago, Hair said:

We were only 1,114 streams away from getting a new streams peak in the UK :DWAS:

UK is staning Paypenter harder than everyone else, it won't get a new peak sadly.:michael:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Janet said:

Probably at home wondering what wig she's going to wear next week. 

3 minutes ago, Tovitov said:

Posters complaining we're hiding in the base when the Gaga base is the only good thread on the forum right now. 

This is our comfort zone :sistrens:

Joker review with 2.7M+ views by a very popular straight Youtuber/streamer... He spends just 30 seconds out of the whole 16 minute video talking about Gaga specifically, and he praises and defends her the whole time. Oh we are so back.

"Lady Gaga I also think does a really good job as Harley Quinn but it's just really frustrating how it feels like they just hamfisted musical numbers in here because Lady Gaga is such a good singer so pretty much every scene she's in she's singing like I don't think she really got a chance to shine and show like her acting prowess and I think she's a great actress instead she just is forced to just sing every time she's on screen so I think that just takes away from the character as well."

And barely any of the Youtube comments under the video even mention her by name. Everyone is rightfully lashing Todd Phillips.

EDIT: Time stamp for the Gaga comment is around 4:30

Edited by HausOfPunk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tovitov said:

And what exactly do they want us to say? We know the movie is a damn flop :deadbanana:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Idc what anyone says Gaga was the highlight of the movie. At least for me. I wish they've done more with her. 

• Like 1

You know I'm starting to buy the "Todd didn't want to make a sequel to Joker so he deliberate wrote one that shits all over everything the incels loved about the first one" theory... bravo Todd, we love him again :clap3:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HausOfPunk said:

Despite the narrative that the OGHs are pushing, Gaga will be fine. I would say 99.99% of the vitriol is directed towards the director and writers. There is a thread on reddit with 17k upvotes from yesterday (would be considered semi-viral by Reddit standards) and I'm assuming most of the engagement is coming from straight men/Joker fanboys. When you search for comments containing "Gaga", most of them are fairly positive or neutral. Some are even defending her. I could barely find any comments blaming Gaga for the movie's failure. We would have been in real trouble if they started ridiculing her performance and making memes out of her, but that hasn't happened.

"Pretty sure Phoenix and Gaga asked for their money upfront vs a smaller check with box office royalties." "They must have read the script." "Seems like a smart move, in hindsight."

"Phoenix I can kinda see, but even as someone who isn't a big fan of pop music, I don't get the Lady Gaga hate. Any time I've seen her in film or television, she does a really good job with her roles, and her music is a lot more palatable than the homogeneous pop sludge running on Top 40 stations right now."

"People LOVE to hate gaga. I guess her stuff like the meat dress and other eccentric choices while never watching any interviews rubs people the wrong way. Like 'oh look at me', there goes gaga trying to shock people again

And I know the horrific abuse doesnt make someone immune from criticism but everytime she comes up it feels like mean spirited hate solely cause shes popular cause its always so baseless."

Same story for another thread gaining traction today on JFAD's box office numbers:

"Critics who love musicals have said that outside of maybe a couple of the big set piece scenes, it's really boilerplate stuff.

And apparently Gaga is barely even in the movie. The movie seems to be half musical, half courtroom drama, just a strange melange that I would imagine is hard to get right, at least for Todd Phillips. And the ending is infuriating people, lol."

"Lady Gaga is undoubtedly talented, ( Star is Born ) Phoenix can do intense angst well ( The Master ) or laughably ( Beau's Afraid ) but raw talent can never rescue bad writing. It's the iron law of entertainment."

"I had read a review very early-on that said the movie is mid, at best, but the performances of Phoenix and Lady Gaga were stellar. I was banking on enjoying the movie through that context, but if it's genuinely a bad movie, then I'll just wait to stream it on Max."

"Sounds like the potential in Lady Gaga playing Harley Quinn is absolutely wasted here." "It really is, she was great in the scenes she was in."

Also, Reddit is a fairly incel-based social media platform in the first place, and it's funny when you catch a glimpse at some of the (very few) hate comments on that post, it'll be something like "she's attention seeking by wearing a meat dress!!" and it just goes to show you there's so many people who still haven't caught up with the last 14 years of her career. :skull: She's impressing the people she needed to impress in the movie circuit, and she has done with all her roles. If she wasn't a good actress she wouldn't have booked a gig post-ASIB. So yeah she'll be fine. Public criticism comes with the territory of her career and she's been fine up until now. Jesus if ARTPOP didn't break her, this certainly won't.

• Like 4

I suppose we're reaching 100m Spotify listeners today? 

20 minutes ago, Tovitov said:

One user just blocked me because "I'm not humbled" :rip:

This forum is something else. 

If you're going to drag someone, at least do it in an intelligent way. But they can't hold a discussion if their life depended on it. There's no point in commenting. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.