Lady Gaga

Phoenixstar

So anyways, what do we think Notorious Being is about?

jy1aem-Zg35.gif

What is "notorious" about her that she's referencing in the song? I have a theory it might be about the man rumors because she just mentioned it all these years later; and she says "being" so she might be playing an androgynous alter ego like Joe :mandown:

• Replies 214.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Infernal Paradise

• Almodusa

• Artur

• hausofbryan

13 minutes ago, opbranden said:

Bechdel test: FAILED.

Never beating the Incel movie allegations.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlL2OOwkzudZn3Euw1TRu8E2iT2mlh_EVUXg&usqp=CAU

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TheGerm said:

omg it is so bad outside the base jesus christ 

Thats the reason i will leave this forum. OGHs and Katykats are insuferable. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, opbranden said:

(I will put something under the spoiler tag even if I personally don't consider it spoiler. My whole reaction is spoiler free story wise.)

So... let's start...

What the hell, Todd, what the hell!!? You'll pay for your crimes spacer.png

Let me first say that I don't think it's a bad film per se, but what's the point?

The movie is visually stunning and definitely has its merits, but revisiting the the first movie just doesn't make for a compelling story. I get the intention of deconstructing the character but it basically feels

Hide contents

like two hours and a half spent trying to "undo" the original.

Now, I have to admit, I watched the first movie because of all the hype from my friends and honestly, I thought it was good, but definitely overhyped and not deserving of the "masterpiece" title some people gave it.

This time around, I was mainly excited to see it because my queen, Lady Gaga, was playing Harley Quinn, one of the most iconic comic book villains. But let me warn you—if you're watching just for Gaga or for a mad-love type of story, you might be disappointed. :rip:

As much as I love her, her character feels pretty useless here and has almost no impact on the story.

Hide contents

She's more of a distraction to the Joker than a driving force.

That said, Gaga still does an amazing job with what she was given, and it's definitely her best performance to date—but man, she's so underused. Bechdel test: FAILED.

The first part of the movie is actually intriguing and sets up what seems like it could be a compelling story. But unfortunately, the second half drags hard. It got boring at points, and the musical numbers felt super random. Now I understand why they kept insisting it wasn't really a musical—

Hide contents

because the songs don't progress the story at all. They are for the most part "crazy moments" 

Honestly, they could have cut at least five musical numbers, and it would have made no difference to the story, but the viewing experience would have been better. The sets are amazing and so pleasing to the eyes tho

The film is very self-referential, constantly trying to connect to the first movie in a way that comes off as desperate and annoying at times.

The portrayal of mental illness also felt stereotypical again, just like the first film—a bit iffy.

This movie really thinks it's clever, different, but in my opinion, it's not as unique or thought-provoking as it thinks it is.

Now, the good stuff: the score is incredible, the cinematography is gorgeous, and Joaquin Phoenix is, of course, fantastic. Everything technical is on point, but it's the script that drags everything down. Is it the worst movie ever? No. Is it good? At times. Will I be going to my already booked screening on Friday? Eeeeh I have to think about it.

I'll give it a 3/5 because Gaga doesn't deserve any hate—she could've been amazing if they actually let her character be more than just a side note in the story.

About the ending without spoilers, it actually made sense for the movie and for what they were telling.

so, best actress nomination in the bag? 

:suburban:

• Haha 2

Gaga in The Simpsons gives me flashback.

I really thought that was her ticket to an Emmy win like Anne Hathaway did for a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Voice-Over Performance

Whatever, as terrible as that episode was, at least it gave us this GIF.

tumblr_m48nomUYyn1qa4wtvo1_500.gif

I know this was posted already but it's refreshing seeing someone experience the album the first time. makes you appreciate it more too :clack:

I think I'm becoming a Harlequin truther :DWAS:

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, opbranden said:

(I will put something under the spoiler tag even if I personally don't consider it spoiler. My whole reaction is spoiler free story wise.)

So... let's start...

What the hell, Todd, what the hell!!? You'll pay for your crimes spacer.png

Let me first say that I don't think it's a bad film per se, but what's the point?

The movie is visually stunning and definitely has its merits, but revisiting the the first movie just doesn't make for a compelling story. I get the intention of deconstructing the character but it basically feels

Reveal hidden contents

like two hours and a half spent trying to "undo" the original.

Now, I have to admit, I watched the first movie because of all the hype from my friends and honestly, I thought it was good, but definitely overhyped and not deserving of the "masterpiece" title some people gave it.

This time around, I was mainly excited to see it because my queen, Lady Gaga, was playing Harley Quinn, one of the most iconic comic book villains. But let me warn you—if you're watching just for Gaga or for a mad-love type of story, you might be disappointed. :rip:

As much as I love her, her character feels pretty useless here and has almost no impact on the story.

Reveal hidden contents

She's more of a distraction to the Joker than a driving force.

That said, Gaga still does an amazing job with what she was given, and it's definitely her best performance to date—but man, she's so underused. Bechdel test: FAILED.

The first part of the movie is actually intriguing and sets up what seems like it could be a compelling story. But unfortunately, the second half drags hard. It got boring at points, and the musical numbers felt super random. Now I understand why they kept insisting it wasn't really a musical—

Reveal hidden contents

because the songs don't progress the story at all. They are for the most part "crazy moments" 

Honestly, they could have cut at least five musical numbers, and it would have made no difference to the story, but the viewing experience would have been better. The sets are amazing and so pleasing to the eyes tho

The film is very self-referential, constantly trying to connect to the first movie in a way that comes off as desperate and annoying at times.

The portrayal of mental illness also felt stereotypical again, just like the first film—a bit iffy.

This movie really thinks it's clever, different, but in my opinion, it's not as unique or thought-provoking as it thinks it is.

Now, the good stuff: the score is incredible, the cinematography is gorgeous, and Joaquin Phoenix is, of course, fantastic. Everything technical is on point, but it's the script that drags everything down. Is it the worst movie ever? No. Is it good? At times. Will I be going to my already booked screening on Friday? Eeeeh I have to think about it.

I'll give it a 3/5 because Gaga doesn't deserve any hate—she could've been amazing if they actually let her character be more than just a side note in the story.

About the ending without spoilers, it actually made sense for the movie and for what they were telling.

It's over

jy1aem-Zg35.gif

2 minutes ago, Chaos Angel said:

So anyways, what do we think Notorious Being is about?

jy1aem-Zg35.gif

What is "notorious" about her that she's referencing in the song? I have a theory it might be about the man rumors because she just mentioned it all these years later; and she says "being" so she might be playing an androgynous alter ego like Joe :mandown:

I fear she was going to address the flop and fad accusations but now that Harlequin and JFAD bombed she is having a second thought

jy1aem-Zg35.gif

How would you rank her movies sis? @opbranden

Assuming you have seen HOG

Edited by jesus del rey

We were so lucky that Bradley used the test screenings of ASIB to actually listen to feedback and improve the movie and the pacing of it because he actually had something to prove and wanted the movie to be good.

Both Turdley Scott and Turd Phillips just throw half finished junk out that loses steam after 45 minutes and think people will look beyond it because they're men, already made a name for themselves, the cinematography is pretty and think the stars will carry the workload of magically turning a turd into gold bar. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, hausofbryan said:

so, best actress nomination in the bag? 

Capri-Sun award for best Cameo

spacer.png

ib5wbzj.gif

About to see JFAD in my local

theatre - let's see how hard Lee gags :coffee:

• Like 2

I remember that after watching the first trailer I really thought this was going to be her best and biggest movie yet

jy1aem-Zg35.gif

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jesus del rey said:

HoG was actually very entertaining and fun though. It had some issues with the script, but I really enjoyed it. 

I fear this will be her first movie I actually dislike. :monkey: 

9 minutes ago, jesus del rey said:

How would you rank her movies sis?

A Star Is Born

Machete Kills

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

HOG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlL2OOwkzudZn3Euw1TRu

Edited by Reginald

2 minutes ago, hausofbryan said:

HoG was actually very entertaining and fun though. It had some issues with the script, but I really enjoyed it. 

I fear this will be her first movie I actually dislike. :monkey: 

DTM

Seeing GodGa at the Harlequin event tonight 

:jonnycat:

Suddenly I LOVE Good Morning and Get Happy!!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Nando_05 said:

Thats the reason i will leave this forum. OGHs and Katykats are insuferable. 

take my hand stay Nando_05, we will end them with LG7 :heart:

B434A62C-9BCE-4B3E-933E-C6721D72C6D0.thu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Reginald said:

Machete Kills

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

i wouldn't consider these as "gaga movies" imo

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Janet said:

I know this was posted already but it's refreshing seeing someone experience the album the first time. makes you appreciate it more too :clack:

I think I'm becoming a Harlequin truther :DWAS:

He sold me too. If you've ever watched his reactions he's always stopping to give a million critiques but for Harlequin he let it play and got lost in the music multiple times. You could tell he was truly impressed with the project. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hausofdave said:

now seated for FÀD 

:clack:

Can you let us know if anyone claps at the end of the review like one of the letterbox says 

3 minutes ago, jesus del rey said:

ASIB is her best movie without any doubt imo

HOG is a mess, but when she's on screen I had a lot of fun. It's campy and that was its intention, it wanted to be a soapy movie

JFAD is visually beautiful, and has elements of great quality but I don't see myself ever re-watching it because it's not enjoyable to me. 

If we don't consider any of the technical aspects of the movies ASIB, HOG, JFAD, simply because at least with HOG I felt drunk without even drinking.

Just now, Bhabylon said:

Seeing GodGa at the Harlequin event tonight 

Suddenly I LOVE Good Morning and Get Happy!!

so that screenshot wasn't fake?

have fun sis!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.