Lady Gaga

Phoenixstar

4 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Applause was not this huge hit that liddos make it out to be. It’s performance was considered underwhelming at the time. 

it did great in the US, but was extremely local

60% of its units are from the US

• Replies 164.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marry Illusion Glory

• Almodusa

• Artur

• Leptine

She should've done a simpler and "easier" album after BTW. ARTPOP was too much and so confusing. I will always appreciate the fact that she dared to try something so ambitious and "crazy" in that point of her career, though. 

Edited by Artur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Applause was not this huge hit that liddos make it out to be. It’s performance was considered underwhelming at the time. 

its still her biggest single in the US bar ASIB to date tho the ceiling isn’t high

14 weeks in the top 10 and 5x Platinum eligibility not being big :rip:

Just because it wasn't one of the Wrecking Ball or Roar-sized hits of that era doesn't mean it wasn't respectively big.

baboon-newspaper.gif

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, xo_hours said:

its still her biggest single in the US bar ASIB to date tho the ceiling isn’t high

How is Applause her biggest US single? Just Dance, Poker Face, Bad Romance, Shallow, Born This Way?

Applause just appears to be a bigger radio hit for Gaga since radio grew a lot from 2008-2011. It did well, but considering how hyped it was, and how huge her previous 3 leads were it was underwhelming. I think even Million Reasons feels bigger to me.

Not everyone is chart obsessed. I would prefer Aura as a lead because I prefer the song, and the performances or Aura were much better than the Applause performances. That can be reason enough for someone to want Aura as a lead. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

enough-people.gif

Since this weird alternate reality take that some of y'all still keep pushing every few days about how Aura would have been a better lead than Applause, let's talk about it. Hopefully this can be the end of all this discourse cuz it has, quite frankly, become BORING and redundant now. Long post incoming.

----------

Applause not only stayed in top 10 for 14 consecutive weeks, it's literally her biggest radio hit audience impressions-wise to date in the US (yes, to date) and the North Star and saving grace of an otherwise messy, unfocused, all over the place era. It's enough of a left turn because of its kooky verses that are true to the G-A-G-A brand but at the same time sonically very digestible, striking a good balance between the ART and POP aspects of the album and encapsulating its theoretical essence perfectly, making it the best lead choice. It's also aged really well and despite being an EDM-y track, its sound can't really be pinned down to 2013 because of its excellent and fresh production (#ThankYouGaga&DJWS). Aw-rah-rah-ah, however, is loud, clunky, disjointed (the absolute sonic WHIPLASH between the aggro verses and the sublime chorus with NO pre-chorus for an easy transition  :deadbanana2:) and overall just too much for the average listener to take in.

Aura (originally Burqa) was a catastrophic BOMB in the making and would have stopped the era dead in its tracks before the album even got to its official release. Thank goodness her label knocked some sense into her c*ked-out-of-her-mind ass by the time they finished listening to the album and switched Aura out for Applause. 

There's also a HUGE difference between taking creative risks and pushing buttons as a provocateur and just downright distasteful and offensive choices that don't age well in a socio-political context. The potential promotional campaign and all the performances, visuals, music video?? DWUW is shaking in its boots cuz we got a taste of it in 2012. At least these were all obscure appearances that the GP doesn't know, care about or remember, imagine if she showed up like this at late night and award shows, not to mention how we'd never hear the end of "cultural appropriation!1! disgusting racist white woman!! :redface:" drags even 10 years later 

1db6416a7b67e178ff10297b7fe0bcf4.jpg

And let's not even talk about how the critics already tore it apart despite it staying as a deep cut, now imagine how hard the backlash would have been if she gave it a full single treatment and that too the lead for an era where she was inevitably heading for the lowest point in her career :rip: 

Reveal hidden contents

Lansky was disappointed with the track, and wrote in his Idolator article that "Aura" consisted of all "the best and worst things about Lady Gaga amplified"; it was "weird and frustrating and great and terrible and brilliant and a failure all at once".[15] Umema Aimem of The Washington Post criticized the song's lyrics: "The song actually started out well ... but then you lost me when you proceeded to turn such a sacred symbol of [Islam] into an exotic costume".[23] Mark Hogan of Spin called it "a grasping EDM mess" and "all over the place"; he disliked the burqa lyrics, "along with plenty of moments that bring to mind all the 'blog house' producers following in the path of Crystal Castles or Simian Mobile Disco circa 2007".[14] Max Kessler of Paper gave "Aura" a lukewarm review; the song had "all the classic Gaga attributes", including "controversial and mildly clever lyrics set to a throbbing, almost-grating dance beat that's at times great and at times horrible".[24] Its lyrics were controversial, with some Muslims accusing Gaga of degrading the burqa by sexualizing it.[25]

The GP and critics were already tired of her antics before the ARTPOP era even began, it's a miracle that Applause became an extremely stable (which is a very good sign) multi-platinum HIT that is pretty much right below her pantheon of universal pop classics JD/PF/BR/BTW/Shallow.

I'm not a fan of Interscope dictating her things and forcing her to sanitize her output to make it safe for wide consumption but this is one instance where they actually got it right. I don't understand how this is even arguable to begin with :michael: 

:clap3:

Artpop really dodged so many cultural appropriation bullets because even Gypsy as a lead would have received questionable reception. :gaycat6:

On the opposite end you had Born This Way, which had a plethora of lead single options: Born This Way, Marry the Night, The Edge of Glory, Scheisse, etc. In the end, I'm glad she led with the title track. It gave her a culturally-ingrained LGBTQ+ classic.

Out of the 6 lead singles she's released (not counting jazz records), only 2 of them have been dud choices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Artur said:

She should've done a simpler and "easier" album after BTW. ARTPOP was too much and so confusing. I will always appreciate the fact that she dared to try something so ambitious and "crazy" in that point of her career, though. 

She should’ve leaned more into the Greek mythology/Birth of Venus angle rather than the Reverse Warholian expedition mumbo jumbo 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, luckythisway said:

She should’ve leaned more into the Greek mythology/Birth of Venus angle rather than the Reverse Warholian expedition mumbo jumbo 

Ugh. That would've been amazing. Those super clean and fresh looks she gave right before the Applause era were also incredible, I wish those were the overall album era looks. :chick3:  I blame Troy for ruining everything. 

• Like 1

Sweet Sounds of Heaven being the 2nd single from RS’ album means there will be a mv right? :duca:

Lady Gaga is the only artist whos demos sound better than the final product e.g. rain on me, free woman

i blame bloodpop :giraffe:

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

10 minutes ago, LadyFlopga said:

Lady Gaga is the only artist whos demos sound better than the final product e.g. rain on me, free woman

i blame bloodpop :giraffe:

he also produced the demo. 

Blame Lady Gaga if anyone need to be blame. Which is not the case. The final product is totally great. 

Not this HoG era moment getting 1m views and +100k likes in the last few hours, she's too Iconic I fear:celestial4:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rhiannon said:

Not this HoG era moment getting 1m views and +100k likes in the last few hours, she's too Iconic I fear:celestial4:

I know joker looks are going to be insane :duca:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.