Why is Dilemma by Nelly & Kelly Rowland Uncertified?

LesFleur

#1 on US Hot 100 for 10 weeks!

#4 on US Hot 100 Year-End (2002)

#11 on the US Hot 100 Decade-End (2000-2009).

#21 on US Digital Songs in 2021.

It must have at least 1-2 million physical/digital units.

Streams:

Spotify: 544,175,750 million

Youtube: 1.1 billion

= 1,644,175,750

= 10,961,171 worldwide SEA units (Based on RIAA formula)

Today it's still top 100 on YouTube

Dilemma

YouTube:
#80 United States
#95 United Kingdom
#99 Uganda

Assuming 2 million US sales and 40% of the streams being US, giving a further 4 million, I estimate total US SPS units around 6-7 million.

Anyone work at Columbia/UMG?

It's time to get this certified!

Edited by LesFleur

certifying songs at the RIAA costs a lot of money allegedly. i can see why some artists dont bother certifying.

They dont care to certify it I guess

Plus it came out so long ago

If their careers were still relevant they would have probably 

11 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

certifying songs at the RIAA costs a lot of money allegedly. i can see why some artists dont bother certifying.

From the RIAA website

The charge for individual certifications is $350 for RIAA member companies, while non-members are charged $450 per certification, which must be pre-paid. Inclusion in RIAA's listing of member companies.

7 minutes ago, Armani? said:

They dont care to certify it I guess

Plus it came out so long ago

If their careers were still relevant they would have probably 

Hot in Herre which hasn't had the same longevity but was #3 on the year-end is certified...

I would have thought the song going viral in 2021 would have pushed them to certify it. 

Edited by LesFleur

“Dilemma” didn’t have a commercial release; a CD single was never issued, like most singles in 2002, so it moved virtually no physical units. That said, it’s certainly platinum in Digital sales due to a resurgence in recurrent popularity in the late 2000’s/early 2010’s. 

Anyhow, “Hot In Herre” is the only single from the ‘Nellyville’ era that has an RIAA certification. “Dilemma, Air Force Ones, Work It, Pimp Juice & Shake Ya Tailfeather” (Nellyville deluxe) are all undercertified or not certified at all, albeit “WI/PJ” flopped. 

Overall, unless requested by the artist and/or label themselves and especially when it relates to songs pre-Digital/iTunes era as sales for songs between 2000/2001-2004 had largely ceased, most will never receive an updated certification. 

6 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

“Dilemma” didn’t have a commercial release; a CD single was never issued, like most singles in 2002, so it moved virtually no physical units. That said, it’s certainly platinum in Digital sales due to a resurgence in recurrent popularity in the late 2000’s/early 2010’s. 

Anyhow, “Hot In Herre” is the only single from the ‘Nellyville’ era that has an RIAA certification. “Dilemma, Air Force Ones, Work It, Pimp Juice & Shake Ya Tailfeather” (Nellyville deluxe) are all undercertified or not certified at all, albeit “WI/PJ” flopped. 

Overall, unless requested by the artist and/or label themselves and especially when it relates to songs pre-Digital/iTunes era as sales for songs between 2000/2001-2004 had largely ceased, most will never receive an updated certification. 

:jonny5: :jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5::jonny5:#1 for 10 weeks just on airplay. 

I don't understand why they didn't rush a physical single as soon as it hit #1 :biblio::biblio::biblio::biblio:

On streams alone it must be multi-platinum 

because lazy asses work in Columbia. also Kelly isn't their artist at the moment, so they probably don't care about that :rip:

RIAA certification is just like having your star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, you have to pay and most likely there isn't just the RIAA fee, there will be some sort of internal audit by the label or distribution company and then most likely they try to pass the cost onto the home label (in the case where the distribution isn't done by the original label) and in many cases, the home label/artists say no.

There are probably thousands of uncertified songs and albums that are eligible and thousands more that are under-certified.

Wow I never knew any of this. :deadbanana2:

3 hours ago, Letemtalk said:

RIAA certification is just like having your star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, you have to pay and most likely there isn't just the RIAA fee, there will be some sort of internal audit by the label or distribution company and then most likely they try to pass the cost onto the home label (in the case where the distribution isn't done by the original label) and in many cases, the home label/artists say no.

There are probably thousands of uncertified songs and albums that are eligible and thousands more that are under-certified.

Wow I never knew that. That’s dumb then and kind of makes RIAA seem less than in my eyes now. I thought it was purely about record accomplishments didn’t think it was a pay to play mess!

Chile

Kelly should whip out her XL worksheet and text the RIAA to fix their sh*t.

the other thing about the cost…

multiple people also get plaques (product managers, artist managers, promo team, etc).  Although the RIAA cost is in the hundreds, you can easily rack up a few thousand.

It costs alot of money.. Some don't bother or the artists left the label so they don't care 

On 2/27/2022 at 6:24 AM, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Well I’ll be damned. I just assumed it had a physical component but I guess the label wanted to increase those album sales (which, obviously, helped given that the album sold over 6.5 million copies in the US alone).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.