The Supremes "You Can't Hurry Love" hits 310million streams on Spotify

LesFleur

It had 295 million in October!

Originally released in 1966, it's group's 7th US Hot 100 (out of 12 total).

It's he second single, following "Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart", from the album The Supremes A' Go-Go, the first US #1 album by a girl group.

Edited by LesFleur

Tuh! and this bop is almost 56 years old with that many streams. This is what a CLASSIQUÉ actually is children.

But I need "You Keep Me Hangin' On" and "Reflections" to get more streams.

Most of their popular stuff comes from their 1964-1965 output, with the exception of this song.

4 hours ago, UnanimousBB16 said:

Most of their popular stuff comes from their 1964-1965 output, with the exception of this song.

This. The media tends to focus on the more formulaic WDOLG and Baby Love, instead of the groundbreaking singles like Hangin', Reflections and Symphony era. They also pay dust to the 70s :shakeno:

I'm glad to see Stop! only needs 6M streams to hit 100M though. IMO the best out of the first 5 #1s.

Interestingly, Jean Terrel era Stoned Love (US #7) has more streams than US #1s, I Hear a Symphony, Back in My Arms Again, Love is Here and Now You're Gone

Edited by LesFleur

7 hours ago, UnanimousBB16 said:

3 hours ago, LesFleur said:

This. The media tends to focus on the more formulaic WDOLG and Baby Love, instead of the groundbreaking singles like Hangin', Reflections and Symphony era. They also pay dust to the 70s :shakeno:

I'm glad to see Stop! only needs 6M streams to hit 100M though. IMO the best out of the first 5 #1s.

Interestingly, Jean Terrel era Stoned Love (US #7) has more streams than US #1s, I Hear a Symphony, Back in My Arms Again, Love is Here and Now You're Gone

How many streams does “Come See About Me” have? Their best number one song?

Also, their 1964-1966 output is the best of their material, in my opinion. Then follows their 70’s material. I wasn’t a fan of the late 60’s songs/hits.

:nicole:

This song really is a classic. One of the few songs that just crosses generations and everyone will sing along. 

You Can't Hurry Love is perfect 60's pop. Love the song.

5 hours ago, LesFleur said:

"Stone Love" having more streams than a majority of their number ones did shock me. 

I notice that's kind of the thing with the Motown hits. The formulaic ones are the ones that had more longevity, and turned into classics. I guess the group's first set of #1 have that definitive 60s Girl Group sound that still resonates.

I personally listen to their 1965 (mainly from "I Hear A Symphony") - 1967 stuff the most.

1 hour ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Also, their 1964-1966 output is the best of their material, in my opinion. Then follows their 70’s material. I wasn’t a fan of the late 60’s songs/hits.

"Come See About Me" is at 62 million (it's in their top 5), so it will get to 100M in a few years. It always shocks me how different the recorded version is from what was performed live.

Their "Diana Ross and the Supremes" stuff was definitely lackluster for the most part.

12 hours ago, LesFleur said:

This. The media tends to focus on the more formulaic WDOLG and Baby Love

Now what we’re NOT gonna do is shade these classics,  WDOLG and Baby Love deserve the attention they get.

YCHL is their best song though, amazing stats for a 60s song :clap3: 

11 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Come See About Me has 62M

As of today these all have 10M+ Spotify streams:

1. You Can't Hurry Love: 311.1M

2. Baby Love: 146.5M

3. Stop! In the Name of Love: 93.9M

4. Where Did Our Love Go: 80.4M

5. Come See About Me: 62.2M

6. You Keep Me Hangin' On: 39.9M

7. Someday We'll Be Together: 19.8M

8. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me: 16.3M

9. Love Child: 14M

10. Reflections: 13.3M

11. My World is Empty Without You: 11.5M

12. Stoned Love - Single Version: 11.2M
13. I Hear a Symphony: 10.5M

It's worth noting there are also different album mixes which have seperate streams that aren't included in these figures. Like the album version of Stoned Love has another 1.5M or so.

10 hours ago, UnanimousBB16 said:

"Stone Love" having more streams than a majority of their number ones did shock me. 

I notice that's kind of the thing with the Motown hits. The formulaic ones are the ones that had more longevity, and turned into classics. I guess the group's first set of #1 have that definitive 60s Girl Group sound that still resonates.

I personally listen to their 1965 (mainly from "I Hear A Symphony") - 1967 stuff the most.

"Come See About Me" is at 62 million (it's in their top 5), so it will get to 100M in a few years. It always shocks me how different the recorded version is from what was performed live.

Their "Diana Ross and the Supremes" stuff was definitely lackluster for the most part.

It also shows how higher chart peaks don't translate to longevity and impact. Stoned Love and My World  have been covered and used more over the decades than some of the #1s. 

As for DR&S, I agree but No Matter What Sign You Are and the Love Child album were definately highlights from that period. Reflections and Let the Sunshine In were good too. It's a shame many compilations are released as DR&S when most of their best music was released before and after that 3 year period.

The 70s albums were far superior though. Right On, New Ways But Love Stays, Touch and High Energy are up there with the best 60s albums. Mary, Scherrie & Susaye is their most experimental and ambitious album. Very underrated. I also love that Destiny's Child paid homage to The Supremes' last album on their last album.

Mary, Scherrie & Susaye - Album by The Supremes | Spotify

Destiny Fulfilled - Album by Destiny's Child | Spotify

Little Mix's Confetti gives a mix of Mary, Scherrie & Susaye and Touch album covers:

Touch - Album by The Supremes | SpotifyLittle Mix | Spotify

43 minutes ago, LesFleur said:

1. You Can't Hurry Love: 311.1M

2. Baby Love: 146.5M

Why has “YCHL” garnered so many streams? Did it go viral at one point or is it just their most playlisted track?

I’ve never thought of the song as one of their everlasting hits, especially compared to “Where Did Our Love Go, Baby Love, You Keep Me Hanging On” etc. When I think of “The Supremes” that isn’t the song I go too. 

I actually thought “YKMH” would be their most streamed given its common reference in pop culture. 

:ohwow:

My favourite song of theirs will always be “Come See About Me” though. It’s such a smooth, joyous, light-R&B/Pop song and Ms. Ross sounds gorgeous on it. 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

6 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Why has “YCHL” garnered so many streams? Did it go viral at one point or is it just their most playlisted track?

I’ve never thought of the song as one of their everlasting hits, especially compared to “Where Did Our Love Go, Baby Love, You Keep Me Hanging On” etc. When I think of “The Supremes” that isn’t the song I go too. 

I actually thought “YKMH” would be their most streamed given its common reference in pop culture. 

:ohwow:

My favourite song of theirs will always be “Come See About Me” though. It’s such a smooth, joyous, light-R&B/Pop song and Ms. Ross sounds gorgeous on it. 

I know it's be covered extensively. Phil Collins' version was a hit, and is an even bigger streaming hit.

I also remember it being on "Sister Sister", and a few other shows.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.