Hot 100: Despacito #1, Malibu #64, Bon Appetit OUT

Fruity

3 hours ago, Ronnie Redd said:

Streaming has totally ruined the charts. Now any and every artist can get #1 and none of the songs are memorable. Britney and Justin would have far less #1s if it wasn't for these new changes. Shame, shame, shame!

Lol, streaming isn't why Despacito is #1. Its sales are huge. The remix is #1 and the original is #19 so it's outselling everyone easily. In fact, its US streaming is lower than the other songs in the Top 5.

As for being memorble, clearly it is seeing that its longevity worldwide and how it's been spreading everywhere.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• alexanderao

• QueenofCopyPaste

• Pacaveli

The sales for "Despacito" are definitely not "huge." It is definitely more of a streaming monster. It's just that everything is aligning for it - sales, streaming and airplay. It is a true smash.

Edited by Cap10Planet

6 hours ago, Ronnie Redd said:

Streaming has totally ruined the charts. Now any and every artist can get #1 and none of the songs are memorable. Britney and Justin would have far less #1s if it wasn't for these new changes. Shame, shame, shame!

Why put Britney into this? She's flopping in the streaming era!

5 hours ago, Ronnie Redd said:

Girl come on, Britney only had like one #1 before itunes and all that other stuff.... and that was back in 1997 or 1998...it literally took her almost 10 years to get a few more... if that doesn't tell you something...

It tells us that the Hot 100 before was radio-focused. A Clear Channel controlled mess!

If you look at the chart stats worldwide you'll see how unusually low Britney's peaks in the US were compared to the rest of the world during her first four eras. That's what tells us something.

7 hours ago, Ronnie Redd said:

What Do You Mean, Sorry, Love Yourself, and I'm the One would've went #1 on the old airplay/sales formula too. You're acting as if the songs are #30 on iTunes and #1 on Streaming. His songs also sell well and go #1 on iTunes.

8 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Well no.

this whole clear channel / Iheart / bell / Rogers, or in other words, the domination of media conglomerates of radio stations is a relatively speaking new thing.  Most stations into the 90s were independent, or family owned handful of stations.  The combining started in the mid 90s but didn't really accelerate until a decade or so after that.

prior to the mid 90s, while payola existed  it was only for the top stations or djs. With most stations being independent, the influence of  payola was much much smaller. And non existent outside the major markets.

And you should know that majority of Britney's career was in the 2000s.

I'm talking about 2001 and up. The reason for Oops singles doing so poorly is because they halted physical sales of the singles to give way for more albums sold. So most of these peaks were from radio alone, in the Oops era.

The reason why I added Oops is because the original poster stated that Britney had more hits because of the new formula which is not the case at all. Point in case, her last two eras were bombs and she really was a single/album seller up until 2010. She sold tons of physical singles and album before the digital era unless those pulled out. In 2011, considerably less albums were sold compared to the year before but that doesn't exclude other artists yet she still scanned platinum and earned 3 top 10 hits (4 if you count S&M Remix).

I'd like to see how Despacito would do as separate entities. It has two versions racking up points and each one is fuelling the other. Im the one is the bigger pile of drivel(5 artists to come up with that?) but it was a more pure & honest success at least. Despacito feels like a cynical manipulation. I dont know what it started off as but now its a customized eyesore. Or earsore.

Ronnie Redd
35 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Well no.

this whole clear channel / Iheart / bell / Rogers, or in other words, the domination of media conglomerates of radio stations is a relatively speaking new thing.  Most stations into the 90s were independent, or family owned handful of stations.  The combining started in the mid 90s but didn't really accelerate until a decade or so after that.

prior to the mid 90s, while payola existed  it was only for the top stations or djs. With most stations being independent, the influence of  payola was much much smaller. And non existent outside the major markets.

TELL 'EM SIS! 

8 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Or ya know, she just coulda gotten "old" as all artists do long before they actually get old. Especially in the pop world.

just sayin' 

Plus that, but still you can't erase the fact that album sales began shrinking at a really fast pace in 2011.

Have stated so many times her last two eras flopped big time.

11 hours ago, iHype. said:

What Do You Mean, Sorry, Love Yourself, and I'm the One would've went #1 on the old airplay/sales formula too. You're acting as if the songs are #30 on iTunes and #1 on Streaming. His songs also sell well and go #1 on iTunes.

Despactio also would be no. 1 in radio+sales I guess

Dear @simmnfierzig, it's Saturday (even on Hawaii, though! Yes, there is Saturday actually...), and there are still no new updated predictions from you, though... :eatpopcorn:I'm slowly getting upset, because of these worrying delays, though! :biblio:

Could you estimate U.S. sales by oneself, because Kworb wasn't and won't updating his U.S. sales this week, please? :worship::worship2: And also, thank you!

Edited by Pacaveli

2 hours ago, Pacaveli said:

Dear @simmnfierzig, it's Saturday (even on Hawaii, though! Yes, there is Saturday actually...), and there are still no new updated predictions from you, though... :eatpopcorn:I'm slowly getting upset, because of these worrying delays, though! :biblio:

Could you estimate U.S. sales by oneself, because Kworb wasn't and won't updating his U.S. sales this week, please? :worship::worship2: And also, thank you!

I think kworb is not updating yet or something like that. That's why we don't have predictions yet. 

27 minutes ago, Roberto said:

I think kworb is not updating yet or something like that. That's why we don't have predictions yet. 

Could you estimate U.S. sales by oneself, because Kworb wasn't and won't updating his U.S. sales this week, please? I've written it. So please, read my reply to this topic again carefully and with understanding... Okay? Okay. :) 

Edited by Pacaveli

8 minutes ago, Pacaveli said:

Could you estimate U.S. sales by oneself, because Kworb wasn't and won't updating his U.S. sales this week, please? I've written it. So please, read my reply to this topic again carefully and with understanding... Okay? Okay. :) 

heres radio

http://kworb.net/airadio/

heres last weeks trends on itunes

http://kworb.net/pop/week.html

heres spotify

http://kworb.net/spotify/country/us_daily.html

make predictions yourself

Edited by jose168

14 hours ago, jose168 said:

heres radio

http://kworb.net/airadio/

heres last weeks trends on itunes

http://kworb.net/pop/week.html

heres spotify

http://kworb.net/spotify/country/us_daily.html

make predictions yourself

The problem is in this, that I'm not as good at them as @simmnfierzig is, though... 

Plus, I've written, that he (@simmnfierzig) might estimate only the U.S. sales, not the streaming or radio, because they're updated by @Kworb , though... 

So, it comes out, that you misunderstood me, though...

Edited by Pacaveli

Can It Ain't me go @Top 5 on Billboard ? It is #10 on iTunes and climbing  fast #23 Spotify #4 Radio :fan:

Edited by SelenaGomez<3

isn't it doing terribly on youtube

56 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

top 30 WW (combined)

its a global hit though so its US WW ratio might be poor

Will Swish Swish debut?

On 5/19/2017 at 7:21 PM, Cap10Planet said:

The sales for "Despacito" are definitely not "huge." It is definitely more of a streaming monster. It's just that everything is aligning for it - sales, streaming and airplay. It is a true smash.

It's a streaming monster internationally, but its streams (and airplay) are just picking up in the US. It wasn't #1 on Spotify US and or YouTube US when it went to #1 on iTunes US and the Hot 100. Not to say that streaming wasn't strong.

21 hours ago, Rentboy said:

I'd like to see how Despacito would do as separate entities. It has two versions racking up points and each one is fuelling the other. Im the one is the bigger pile of drivel(5 artists to come up with that?) but it was a more pure & honest success at least. Despacito feels like a cynical manipulation. I dont know what it started off as but now its a customized eyesore. Or earsore.

It would be still be #1 (or at least Top 3) because the remix is #1 in sales. The strong consistent sales from the original version are just helping to maintain the gap.

There isn't a big difference between both versions anyway other than Justin being added to the chorus and his English verse in the intro so it's basically like the same situation as Kanye West being added to ET. They would never count it as separate songs.

5 hours ago, Deemy said:

Will Swish Swish debut?

the video is coming Monday and possibly a BBMA performance so...

7 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

IAM? 504k views on 5/18... #20 did 794k

23 hours ago, Rentboy said:

Seethe. :ahh: 

2 hours ago, alexanderao said:

IAM? 504k views on 5/18... #20 did 794k

Thx

I really hope "Believer" make that top 10!!!!! That song deserves it!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.