Hot 100: Despacito #1, Malibu #64, Bon Appetit OUT

Fruity

I'm not really a fan of Despacito and I don't really get its success. There have been better reggaeton songs in the past few years that were far more deserving of seeing this kind of success – like Bailando. 

Edited by tittieslap

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• alexanderao

• QueenofCopyPaste

• Pacaveli

Notice how it's always the same people who can't keep Justin out their mouths for more than a day. Poor them.
Let it all out girls :heart2: but if you're that bothered during his 'break' then you'll be in hell when he actually starts releasing his own music. Can't wait for the meltdowns and essays!

Got warned last time I dared to talk about Digital Songs in the Hot 100 thread, but I’ll risk it:

Despacito #1, I’m the One #2

Last week I’m the One #1, Despacito #2

I wonder if this’ll be the T2 for awhile; to compare:

1 & 4 was the best co-existence for Let Me Love You/Cold Water.

2 & 7 for What Do You Mean/Sorry.

1 & 3 for Sorry/Love Yourself a couple of weeks, with Adele blocking owning the T2

Iggy got 1 & 2 with 3 weeks Problem on top then 3 Fancy.

Edited by fridayteenage

4 hours ago, Rentboy said:

All this talk of him breaking records as if these are his own solo efforts. Most other big artists dont release songs with 5 major artists on it. Nor do they hop on an already huge global smash just to make it more palatable for English speaking nations. He's getting way too much credit and y'all know it. Creatively his input is minimal on both tracks. But fans are so thirsty for those chart receipts theyll include anything & everything.

3 hours ago, alfonso12 said:

This tea. :clap3:

No tea. These efforts wouldn't be possible without his own achievements, so shut that down. No one's saying he did anything magnificent on either track. I don't even like either one of them. The thing you keep overlooking is the simple fact he's the majority reason why these songs took off. Khaled himself said he yearned to get Bieber on a track. Justin made the decision himself to do Despacito, but he heard it in a club where it was obviously influential. It's not like he did extensive research of how it was already a global hit. It taking off in America, all the way to #1, is because of him. It would've been a recognizable Latin hit in the T40 otherwise. These are simply facts, no one's making up anything & everything. Simple minded ones.

But as stated, he wouldn't have these opportunities without the backbone of his own career and brand. No matter if someone works with a ton of acts (common in hip-hop actually, but these tracks don't top the chart (without Bieber apparently, but crucify him and his pull)) or if they remix a track, taking it further (Drake's done this time and time again, they just haven't topped the chart).

When Bieber flop y'all will jump ship so fast. :skull:

canadians have people so bothered!!! if it's not bieber, it's drake. if it's not drake, it's fridayteenage complaining about alessia cara's airplay driven hits. we stay winning

Drop Outs: Kygo feat. Ellie Goulding - First Time

that's sad huh?

On 5/16/2017 at 8:50 PM, desert rose said:

thank god It Aint Me is OUT of the Top 10 and Bon Appétit is OUT, period. two of the worst pop songs this year. 

oh it will. then it'll be at #55 the following week and OUT again. she's gonna launch this album with no hit. Hopefully the Calvin collab will do what it's supposed to

Chained to the Rhythm is already a #4 smash.  

13 hours ago, perfectlover said:

Auris 

dddd

1 hour ago, Mattyboy said:

Chained to the Rhythm is already a #4 smash.  

That's like saying Soko had a smash.

2 hours ago, Auris said:

That's like saying Soko had a smash.

You just can't compare the two, though. It's utterly foolish. CTTR is a hit and SoKo's song is not. To think otherwise is just ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, cherrychapstick said:

You just can't compare the two, though. It's utterly foolish. CTTR is a hit and SoKo's song is not. To think otherwise is just ridiculous.

It's certainly not a smash though

9 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

It's certainly not a smash though

Did I say it was? Don't put words in my mouth. It certainly is not a smash a la Hello and Cheap Thrills; it's a hit, and its streams, the principal measure of how popular songs are these days, are the proof. 

Soko spent one week in the chart because it went viral. It's more comparable with Gaga's Dope.

Chained to the Rhythm has been there for 3 months. It's not a smash but it was a decent hit.

1 minute ago, cherrychapstick said:

Did I say it was? Don't put words in my mouth. It certainly is not a smash a la Hello and Cheap Thrills; it's a hit, and its streams, the principal measure of how popular songs are these days, are the proof. 

You came for someone, who came for someone that said it was a smash :celestial5:

It's a small hit and for a Katy lead single a heavy under performance. 

Streams? :huh:

Radio is the metric it did by far the best in

Did I categorically agree with the "smash" label that the previous poster gave CTTR? No. Stop acting like I did. That's why I said CTTR is a hit, and it doesn't matter how it underperformed. Yes, why not streams? It has more than 400 million combined streams, and growing, on YouTube and Spotify. Radio? It's not as relevant as a popular-song metric worldwide.

8 minutes ago, Green said:

Soko spent one week in the chart because it went viral. It's more comparable with Gaga's Dope.

Chained to the Rhythm has been there for 3 months. It's not a smash but it was a decent hit.

This. How can someone be so blinded by their hate for an artist that they purposefully ignore facts?

45 minutes ago, cherrychapstick said:

Did I categorically agree with the "smash" label that the previous poster gave CTTR? No. Stop acting like I did. That's why I said CTTR is a hit, and it doesn't matter how it underperformed. Yes, why not streams? It has more than 400 million combined streams, and growing, on YouTube and Spotify. Radio? It's not as relevant as a popular-song metric worldwide.

It may not be relevant worldwide, but this is the United States Billboard Hot 100 thread, so it's certainly relevant here. 400 million streams worldwide is different than 400 million streams in the US when judging if a song was a hit in the US. "Chained To The Rhythm" massively underperformed. 

any chances of Miley reaching the top 10 next week?

7 hours ago, dussymob said:

When Bieber flop y'all will jump ship so fast. :skull:

dsfghgjkj you WISH :ahh: funniest thing I've read on here. You keep on the edge of your seat waiting for him to flop. But get comfortable, cause you gon be there for a while :fan:

20 minutes ago, grace said:

:eatpopcorn:

2 hours ago, cherrychapstick said:

This. How can someone be so blinded by their hate for an artist that they purposefully ignore facts?

I LOVE CTTR. And Katy has a couple more great songs. 

Never said you did, but the comparision that came up as a respone is understandable. Smash is the 1 extrem and that is the other extreme. Truth is obviously in the middle. 

And of course the situation of the single / artist is massively important in judging how big of a hit a song was. So yeah it does matter that it underperformed.

400M streams in 2017 is nothing. And this is the US charts thread. 

1 hour ago, grace said:

Not impossible, but I don't see it happening

:dies:

37 minutes ago, Drake Lindo said:

You just can't compare the two, though. It's utterly foolish. CTTR is a hit and SoKo's song is not. To think otherwise is just ridiculous.

:ahh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.