Do you feel the urge gatekeep your favorite shows?

DesiredConsternation

• ATRL Member

My roommate has this habit of picking up a show I've already started watching but continues to watch it in my absence which irks me because I have to stay away from the living room because I don't want to be spoiled and it's not like I can ask for him to rewind back to the episode I left off so I have to watch the rest of the thing on my computer or just give up on the show altogether. Anyone else going through this :mazen:

No, I always ask my friends to watch whatever I'm watching, so I can discuss it with them. I just ask them to not spoil whatever I haven't seen yet.

I thought gatekeeping is when people accuse others of being a "fake fan" cause they're not as invested in a certain show/band/etc as the "real" fans. And no, I love when sth has a big diverse fanbase online cause I rarely find people who like the same stuff as I do.

Luckily no, as I always watch TV shows / movies alone as it annoys me when people talk during them and when I recommend things to other people it’s when I’ve finished them in their entirety, so I can’t be spoiled. :party:

No I like when others watch what I do so we can talk about it. Also TV shows are globally aired pieces of media made by multi-billion dollar corporations and there is a finite amount of options, none of us are that original or special, people will inevitably watch the same things. I understand your situation is annoying though OP, I would wear earbuds and listen to a podcast or music while he watches it.

Edited by Beyonnaise

No I don't have that issue my best friend doesn't watch much series anyway . The only one I discuss stuff with is my other friend who's now in jail :deadvision: and he only gets to see some of his shows. Poor soul.

That's not really gate keeping, however, I usually harass people around me until they start watching that show :gaycat6: my boyfriend always falls for it and I end up rewatching everything with him 

No, everybody watch The OA

N O

9 hours ago, The Next Day said:

I thought gatekeeping is when people accuse others of being a "fake fan" cause they're not as invested in a certain show/band/etc as the "real" fans. And no, I love when sth has a big diverse fanbase online cause I rarely find people who like the same stuff as I do.

Yes this is what gatekeeping actually is. 

My boyfriend did it once and let's just say he learned his lesson

tiffany-pollard-new-york.gif

No, I want everyone to watch The Good Place and realize how great of a TV show it is. :foxaylove:

Nah, just don't spoil it if you didn't watch it.

Sounds like he needs to get a job 

No, some of the shows I watch are underrated and need more viewers.

No, I am trying to convince every single person close to me to start watching the Real Housewives.

I also strongly support this:

38 minutes ago, Jotham said:

No, I want everyone to watch The Good Place and realize how great of a TV show it is. :foxaylove:

My parents did this to me with Desperate Housewives nnn