Scientists have found the cause of Multiple Sclerosis

Arthoe

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an unpredictable condition — an autoimmune disease that attacks the central nervous system, the brain and spinal cord.  

It can be mild but can also turn into a lifelong disability, affecting a person's vision, arm or leg movement, sensation or balance. And until now researchers have not known conclusively what causes MS. There are treatments to make living with MS better, perhaps easier, but there is no cure.

But that may change now that researchers say they have found a link between Epstein-Barr-Virus and MS. That could open the door to better treatments and even preventative measures. 

In a study conducted in the United States, researchers say they found that the Epstein-Barr-Virus (EBV) was definitely associated with all but one of 801 cases of multiple sclerosis.  

The most important indicator appears to be that those people who had initially tested negative for EBV antibodies also tested negative for multiple sclerosis at the time of the blood sample. It was only after those people experienced an EBV infection that they developed MS, which was also then detected by the researchers.

So, the researchers seem confident there is a link between EBV and MS. What they still don't know, however, is EBV's precise mechanism — or what it does exactly to cause MS and why.

Full article: https://www.dw.com/en/multiple-sclerosis-caused-by-epstein-barr-virus-study/a-60413064

The virus infects nearly everyone in their teen or young adult years

mess

Great news that the research on this is progressing. I had symptoms in 2020 that made me believe I had MS. It was ruled out with an MRI but based on this small subset of symptoms, I honestly can’t imagine the stress and frustration and discomfort for those who actually have this disease. If a treatment or preventive measure can be developed in the coming years, that would be huge because nobody deserves to suffer through this.

But.. This has been known for some time now? This virus is linked to many illnesses..

This is very insightful and interesting to know because I've once had a patient with infectious mononucleosis ( EBV infection) who later on developed Multiple sclerosis. This was in 2019 and we did not attribute the MS to EBV infection at all. Thank you for the information!! 

Oh my god :heart2: I used to teach piano to patients w this disease.

This is major. It also opens up new questions though... I mean if this virus is so common then well how do you stop it or at least stop it from causing MS in people?

Okay but where does EBV virus come from? How is that one transmitted?

1 hour ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Okay but where does EBV virus come from? How is that one transmitted?

that's not the question here, the virus is so goddamn common.

the main question is how EBV lead to MS. solve that then we can find a cure or prevention for this horrible disease