The antiwork subreddit....thoughts?

Katamari

Been checking it for a while and I think it's a symptom of the corrupt system we live in. People are fed up and rightfully so.

They helped to support the Kellogg strike iirc. Hopefully the subreddit translates to more people / unions demanding a good pay and benefits. However it see it attracting too much attention and Reddit shutting it down or or worse, suffering the fate of /WallStreetBets 

Edited by venuss
Spelling mistake

Getting tired of shitty working conditions, corruption, and unfair work-related expectations is fine. The posts themselves, however, are embarrassing. 

10 minutes ago, venuss said:

Been checking it for a while and I think it's a symptom of the corrupt system we live in. People are fed up and rightfully so.

They helped to support the Kellogg strike iirc. Hopefully the subreddit translates to more people / unions demanding a good pay and benefits. However it see it attracting too much attention and Reddit shutting it down or or worse, suffering the fate of /WallStreetBets 

8 minutes ago, St. Charles said:

Getting tired of shitty working conditions, corruption, and unfair work-related expectations is fine. 

:cm:

10 minutes ago, St. Charles said:

Getting tired of shitty working conditions, corruption, and unfair work-related expectations is fine. The posts themselves, however, are embarrassing. 

agreed

some of the posts just seem fake tbh :deadbanana4:

Good :clap3:

We want Friday off and better pay and attitude!!

They have the right idea but don’t seem bold enough, focused enough - a lot of people there still feel the need to justify themselves and mention how they totally definitely actually want to have a job under the current system but just want it to suck a little less, rather than challenging the system and being honest about what the function and form of labor in modern society should actually be. Maybe it’s just because of how many people have joined, but I feel it’s been pulled toward the center a bit. There’s also certainly a fair share of totally fake stuff there.

It’s kind of fun to see conservatives talk about it and claim it’s just lazy people who want handouts, though. Some things never change!

A subreddit for those who want to end work, are curious about ending work, want to get the most out of a work-free life, want more information on anti-work ideas and want personal help with their own jobs/work-related struggles.

How TF do you get the most of life if you're a broke ass with no job? :psyduck: being a welfare queen only gets you so far

It's great for the most part unless you're against unionization and holding higher ups accountable for their actions. Despite the subreddit name they aren't actually anti work, just anti exploitation, their core values are actually very relatable.

Everyone posting there is usually employed or between switching jobs, they cheered Kelloggs and Starbucks people on to unionize and get the working conditions they deserve. I don't know how any of this could be embarrassing or detrimental to working people.

Edited by Illuminati

24 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

They have the right idea but don’t seem bold enough, focused enough - a lot of people there still feel the need to justify themselves and mention how they totally definitely actually want to have a job under the current system but just want it to suck a little less, rather than challenging the system and being honest about what the function and form of labor in modern society should actually be. Maybe it’s just because of how many people have joined, but I feel it’s been pulled toward the center a bit. There’s also certainly a fair share of totally fake stuff there.

It’s kind of fun to see conservatives talk about it and claim it’s just lazy people who want handouts, though. Some things never change!

Right, it certainly lost its meaning and focus since the sudden rise in popularity. 

43 minutes ago, xclusivestylesz said:

How TF do you get the most of life if you're a broke ass with no job? :psyduck: being a welfare queen only gets you so far

The idea is that work and labor as we understand them, as pieces of the way society operates right now, shouldn't exist in the first place - that there are models other than the capitalist labor model that society at large could adopt and still meaningfully improve the lives of everyone while still getting things done that need to get done. It's not about just quitting your job and being broke.

1 hour ago, St. Charles said:

:cm:

1 hour ago, xclusivestylesz said:

Perhaps if you listen to what they talk about you'd get that it's not about abolishing work/being unemployed but creating a better work system that advocates for the common person :wave2:

Edited by EnigmaticAndroid

i agree with the sentiment but people in there are anti AI and that’s the only real way to abolish all labor :coffee2:

1 hour ago, Cruel Summer said:

This. Theres a lot of great dialogue, and it def is helping more people wake up to how shitty of a work environment most of our country is living in and making people more comfortable leaving bad jobs and helping with the "Great Resignation" happening but theres a lot of fluff & seemingly fake stories for karma.  Overall though a great sub and I think is nice seeing so many people in the country pushing the conversation towards workers rights 

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

That place is an embarrassment

Care to elaborate? 

love them, it's so entertaining cause of how exaggerated most of the posts are.

I agree with the sentiments of the sub, but I'm not a fan of the content itself. I really believe a fair amount of the posts there are completely made up, and I think a lot of the content encourages people to make unwise decisions. And while some of the posts on the sub are really insightful and meaningful, many are from lazy Redditors who don't want to work at all and be leeches for their entire life. Work sucks, but it's also a necessary part of life. :rip:

I love it and the dialogue it's generated. Some of the stories may be made up but it doesn't matter.

It has some few good posts but the attention seeking fake posts could go. Karma thirsty ******* :deadbanana2:

Edited by CBC