Have you met someone who uses they/them outside of

Feather

Have you met someone who uses they/them as pronouns outside of the internet?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Have you met someone who uses they/them as pronouns outside of the internet?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you insert your pronouns on social media, emails, etc?

• Yes
    • No

27 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

literally the opposite is true :rip: historically it's white Westerners who have been imposing gender binary on the rest of the world. that's not to say all Western societies were all queer utopias, but gender non-conformity is hardly a white thing. if anything it's the opposite 

Whenever I, or anyone, who lives in America refers to white people, we are talking about white people in America. Otherwise, we’d just say European people. Or South African people. Or Australian people. 

20 minutes ago, carpetbeetle said:

I have. It’s definitely not a white people thing, but they definitely have different experiences with coming out.  What we need to be asking is why black people snd other POC are dismissed from queer spaces and conversations…how gross to assume it’s only a white person thing. 

Huh? Black people and POC are clearly not dismissed from that community or any of the spaces or conversations with it. What is predominately American white is gender neutrality pronouns though. That’s what the article referred to.

Edited by Thinking Of You

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feather

• Lana Banana

• John Slayne

• discotitzz

33 minutes ago, Faruhs said:

What is this bs of a generation. Jesus ****

Yeah this is how school is nowadays :rip: Every time we start a new class we have to say our pro nouns and I remember the first time I had to do that was like two years ago and I was so confused so I just said “uhhh I’m a boy”. :rip: 

I know so many people who use non-binary pronouns.  How is this not everyone's experience?  Are y'all living in bubbles?

No, I doubt it'll ever be a thing in Italy due to how our language works

2 hours ago, Feather said:

Also, do you guys label your pronouns on social media, emails, or wherever applicable outside of the internet? 

Absolutely not, I have my real name everywhere and it's clearly a masculine name :rip:

Yeah. Most of the people in the queer club at my school use they/them. I’ve recently started getting in the habit of listing my pronouns on the internet.

Yes and sometimes. In my language, pronouns are not gendered at all. Hell, even in English the usage of they/them as a singular pronoun has long been common in literature.

Yea, I live in more open minded city of CA. So I find a lot of that, people into yoga, fad diets, and kale chips. :giraffe:

As for my own pronouns, is not a big issue since I identify as he/him/his. 

4 hours ago, UseYourIllusion2002 said:

Yeah this is how school is nowadays :rip: Every time we start a new class we have to say our pro nouns and I remember the first time I had to do that was like two years ago and I was so confused so I just said “uhhh I’m a boy”. :rip: 

Are you serious? Every year?

Yes I've lived in multiple cities and known people from all walks of life that use they/them pronouns. I feel like OP is trying it

3 hours ago, Thinking Of You said:

I read an article the other day that spoke about how gender neutral pronouns are just a white people thing and it’s really just another white privilege. Has anyone ever met a black person who go by they - them? 

Bi-racial here (half black) and I identify as non-binary and respond to they :coffee:

In Hungarian, we don’t have a word for he/him or she/her. Everyone is “they/them”, so idk who is actually non-binary.

But, I have it in my English corporate signature for inclusion and to raise awareness.

2 hours ago, MadonnasBoyfriend said:

Are you serious? Every year?

Hmm I would say for the past 2 years. I really started to notice the whole pro noun thing like late 2019. Because I had to go to like this dumb summer camp thing for the 2019-2020 school year right before covid and we were all split up into groups and asked our pro nouns. That was my first time being asked that and I had no clue what to say so I just said “I’m a boy” 💀. And since schools have been online because of Covid a lot of students put their pro nouns next to their names on Zoom. And this year my English teachers pro nouns are they/them, which is the first time that not only a teacher/professor of mine has used pro nouns, but they’re not she/her or he/him. Idk I’m used to it and I respect people’s pro nouns and I’d never want to be the person to put someone down for that stuff but my friends and I still get kinda caught off guard when we see they/them or stuff like that :rip:  

I use they/them to clients at work (cause I don't want to offend anyone or assume their gender) and my co-workers drag me for it. 

No and I doubt I ever will, at least not here.

Yeah, I know plenty of gender neutral/fluid people. They/them pronouns are second nature to me. And I include my pronouns on my social media bios, yeah. Why not? :michael: My trans friends have said it’s something I can do to help as an ally, so of course I’ll do it.  

16 hours ago, byzantium said:

I know so many people who use non-binary pronouns.  How is this not everyone's experience?  Are y'all living in bubbles?

Lots of old conservative gays on here that resent the trans community, so I’m not

surprised by the responses here at all aha

Never met one.. 

Where i live is not usual to find one either.. 

I find only lesbians with a stick up there ass.

I have a friend who is non binary but they don't mind if we called them he or she.