Have you met someone who uses they/them outside of

Feather

Have you met someone who uses they/them as pronouns outside of the internet?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Have you met someone who uses they/them as pronouns outside of the internet?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you insert your pronouns on social media, emails, etc?

• Yes
    • No

Have you met someone who uses they/them as pronouns outside of the internet?

I've seen the pronouns a lot now on Instagram and online but I've never met anyone outside using those pronouns. 

Also, do you guys label your pronouns on social media, emails, or wherever applicable outside of the internet? 

I noticed in professional environments, emails, everyone is listing their pronouns. At Starbucks here, they actually have their pronouns listed under their name i.e. Karen She/Her.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feather

• Lana Banana

• John Slayne

• discotitzz

yes. it is very normal in queer spaces especially queer lesbian spaces (in my experience).

i don't put my pronouns in my bio though because I don't define myself by my pronouns. but if someone asks me or I'm in a space where other people are telling me their pronouns I will tell them.

Edited by selena_lavigne

Yeah my current Language Arts Teacher and I accidentally referred to them as “she” earlier today and I thought I was going to get cancelled by my school :rip:  It was an accident though and I had just woke up. 

I knew a couple of people who identified as non binary but the LGBT situation here isn't really there yet to have people not misgender you, so for the most part they just used the pronouns they were given at birth. We're still borderline fighting for the right to walk across the street holding hands without being beat up as the law enforcement considers it a reasonable reaction to being provoked to be violent.

8 minutes ago, Exquisite said:

I don't know anyone irl who uses they/them

Here is the only place where I considered listing my pronouns, I don't see the need to otherwise

A lot of social media platforms gives you the option of labeling your pronouns (Instagram) and even professional platforms like LinkedIn. But again it's optional. 

I noticed a lot of people from the LGBT will use the option. This hockey player I follow on Instagram inserted his pronouns in his profile, and someone DM'd him and called him gay for using pronouns :rip: Come to think of it, I don't see a lot of straight guys inserting it (when applicable). 

The only person I have ever met was a relative of my relative but I haven’t seen them in years and they started using they/them a few years after the last time I’ve seen them. 

I also have not come across it at all at work. Nobody has put that in their signature that I have seen. The only time I’ve seen it outside of social media is this random girl that I barely knew in middle school added me on LinkedIn and it said “_____________ (she/her) would like to connect” (even though LinkedIn is still kind of social media)

35 minutes ago, selena_lavigne said:

yes. it is very normal in queer spaces especially queer lesbian spaces (in my experience).

Really normal in academic settings too.  I finished uni five years ago and I knew plenty of people who used they/them pronouns there. 

Anything arts related too. 

And a more random example, you’ll usually find people who use they/them pronouns in retail. Any place gay/queer/LGBT people are common. :michael: 

I guess it depends where you live. My experiences are from living in Philadelphia and a much smaller town in the Northeast (US).

I haven’t met anyone else who uses they/them pronouns, except for myself. 

I go by they/she/he/ze/xe pronouns. 

IDTS, but using other general pronouns is rarer in Brazil because Portuguese is a language full of masculine and feminine and we don't even have an equivalent to them/they. It doesn't help I'm a lawyer, but even my LGBTQ group of friend I don't really know anyone who uses it, my transgender friend uses she/her and I think most transgender individuals I met use the pronoun of the gender they assigned themselves to

Edited by brazil

Only one person in real life. They were in the LGBTQ Society in college and got into trouble because they organised a lesbian closed space and banned bisexual women but included themselves even though they don’t identify as a woman :rip: It was messy. 

I also did a press thing once for some of my work and the journalist went by she/they. I’m sure I know other NB people but maybe not at the time  they changed their pronouns. 

Yes, I have two coworkers who use they/them. Its never been an issue for me to honor them and refer to them as preferred but plenty of people in my office refer to them as the gender they present as and I'm not sure how they feel about it....:stare:

I have met plenty of people who use they/them. I try my best to respect their pronouns as much as possible :giraffe:

I personally don’t like having to put pronouns in bio and stuff like that, for me, for me, it’s cringey :psyduck:

yes i know plently. some people at my job put their pronouns on their nameplate.

i don't go out of my way to tell people my pronouns unless they ask.

Not at all, online there a lot of people who use inclusive language (I speak Spanish which is gendered) and all of that stuff, but in real life barely anyone uses it

I only know one. They were white. Everybody ridiculed them behind their back because the gender neutral pronouns in reality, in a real-life setting that isn’t online is just…

I'm acquaintances with one person who goes by she/they but everyone still calls her "she" and her girlfriend still calls her "girlfriend" not partner

Online, a lot. In real life, only 2 with whom I've communicated. There is an AFAB NB person in Latin class and one time the professor misgendered them and it was kinda awkward.

I've met a person irl who goes by it/its pronouns unironically. Basically they were a stick and poke scratcher working from their couch and I won a free tattoo from an Instagram giveaway done by their cis girlfriend. They weren't present in the room and somehow the conversation between me and the tattooing girlfriend shifted to their partner and well, I used they/them pronouns and the girlfriend clocked me as if I had just committed a crime. I just wanted to get my tattoo asap and just leave. 

As for the second question, no, I don't list my pronouns. I don't care how people adress me. 

Edited by Pendulum