New HIV breakthrough research moves to primate trials

Espresso

I was just gonna post this in the HIV thread but couldn't find it as I know people are tired of hearing about new research on this topic without much progress.

[...] In that study, up to 25% of the previously dormant cells died within 24 hours of activation. However, researchers concluded they needed a more effective way to kill the cells, so in this study they used the same synthetic compound to flush HIV infected cells out of hiding and then inject healthy natural killer cells into the mice's bloodstreams to kill the infected cells. The new method cleared HIV in 40% of the HIV-infected mice, and the researchers couldn't detect the virus in the mice's spleens, which suggests that cells harboring HIV were eliminated.

“We will also be moving this research toward pre-clinical studies in non-human primates with the ultimate goal of advancing implementing this research to use in humans,” Kim said. [...] Source above

Loving the process of research surging through for this :clap3: 

this would be huge. even at 40% success rate 

I think hiv could be curable by 2035

What i hate is that its never had the amount of urgency as covid. Even cancer should be curable by now

If HIV affected the gp like covid does, we would've had a vaccine/cure by the mid 80s.

This RNA technology that the Pfizer vaccine uses is new right?

Is there a way this technology can be used to help more diseases like HIV for example?

Wait, 40% success rate??
That should be huge me thinks

Hoping for the bestt :jonny:

28 minutes ago, Selegend said:

This RNA technology that the Pfizer vaccine uses is new right?

Is there a way this technology can be used to help more diseases like HIV for example?

Yes! They’re testing a hiv vaccine on humans currently using it 

Praying that they develop this ASAP, one of my favorite cousins have been affected by this for many years. :cries::cries:

ugh so amazing to hear :clap3: i think we’ll have a cure by the end of this decade, i have hope

Can they use mRNA to extend our life span?

13 hours ago, Jude said:

Can they use mRNA to extend our life span?

One dystopia at a time please

Yeah but what about vaccine against other STDs? I miss barebacking.  At least we have prep for HIV 

On 1/11/2022 at 7:44 PM, JoeAg said:

ugh so amazing to hear :clap3: i think we’ll have a cure by the end of this decade, i have hope

HAART is already very close to a cure. The focus should be on a vaccine (which also has better financial prospects for big pharma)