Is The Tipping Culture Out of Control?

Sergi91

23 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

How does Europe compare? 

Depends on the country. In some countries like Germany and Poland you leave the change of a few euros... in others like Italy and Slovakia there's no concept of tipping but some people might still leave the change (it's rare though). I remember when I went to Spain with my parents as a kid, they left the change of like 70 cents to a taxi driver and thought they'd done a humanitarian act, not knowing it's normal there. :dies: But the concept of tipping in the American way (as in, 20% of the restaurant bill) doesn't exist in this continent because servers are paid decently by the restaurant owner so no need to leave them at the mercy of customers.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rihannabiggestfan

• Bussea

• MadonnasBoyfriend

• Sergi91

Yeah I’ll tip on delivery or other services like haircuts

but now pickup/carry out orders seem like they expect tips and I was always taught to tip for delivery but not pickup

America’s tipping culture is so unfathomable to me lmao i think ive tipped twice in my ENTIRE life because the service was truly great and that’s it. i know plenty of ppl who have never left a single tip in their lives. it’s extremely weird that you guys have to tip everytime (and I see ppl saying you have to to tip 20% too?? Wtf! that’s WEIRD.)  

Customers are there to buy food and that’s it. The money they pay for that food should be paying your salaries - they should not be having to pay your salaries separately :biblio: 

Yah let's keep the conversation on businesses being shitty and not paying their employees and not on service workers making starvation wages

50 minutes ago, XAMJ said:

Yes tipping is so gross, they put you on the spot and make you feel obligated to tip them. they say industry workers deserve tips well i say healthcare workers also deserve tips, let me ask a patient and guilt them into tipping before i go get their saline bag or medication

:dies:

Just now, May said:

America’s tipping culture is so unfathomable to me lmao i think ive tipped twice in my ENTIRE life because the service was truly great and that’s it. i know plenty of ppl who have never left a single tip in their lives. it’s extremely weird that you guys have to tip everytime (and I see ppl saying you have to to tip 20% too?? Wtf! that’s WEIRD.)  

Customers are there to buy food and that’s it. The money they pay for that food should be paying your salaries - they should not be having to pay your salaries separately :biblio: 

Only extreme ppl say that tbh

Although sometimes restaurants force you to tip 20% for parties of 6 or more

6 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Never understood how or why waiters/waitresses don't apply when it comes to minimum wage. They deserve minimum wage at the very least AS WELL AS tips, and ALL tips should go to THEM directly (some restaurants put all tips into a pool and distribute them evenly, which isn't fair)

Omg, this CLASSIC

Edited by rihannabiggestfan

We normally don't tip here, unless maybe the service was outstanding, sometimes the waiter even skips the tipping screen for you before giving you the card machine.

Employees should just be payed enough so they can live, instead of them having to beg costumers for money :cm:

If you can't be bothered to tip, don't go to such establishments. Learn how to make your own drinks, food, grow your own weed, etc.

I remember the first time I got to America and I knew nothing about tipping, every time I went to pay something or whatever I got so stressed :bibliahh: I never tipped for haircuts and then my friend told me you’re supposed to and I was like wtf? Haircuts in the US are already expensive af without tipping. The whole thing makes no sense at all.

I'm so glad I live in a country where tipping isn't a thing :rip:

5 minutes ago, discosean said:

If you can't be bothered to tip, don't go to such establishments

If you can't be bothered to pay your staff, don't own such an establishment

Edited by BadMonster

Just now, BadMonster said:

If you can't be bothered to pay your staff, don't own such an establishment

:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:. They wouldn't NEED tips if they were paid a living wage!

I avoid going to places like that, once they do that I stop shopping there.

Same with Uber and delivery services, I don’t usually tip, sometimes I do when the guy struggles or did something out of the ordinary.

I feel like if we start tipping for everything the COMPANIES are going to give worse condition of payment to the employees and be like yeah but you can earn tips and avoid all the responsibilities.

So yeah it’s toxic to tip for everything in the long term.

It’s a pRoblem only in that businesses are allowed to use tips to supplement minimum wage. For example, in some states the tippable minimum wage is $2.13. Some states have raised this but not all. When the eventual $15 minimum wage starts in 2025, tippable minimum wage will raise to $15. Generally, if I’m out to dinner I’ll tip at least 20% unless the service was bad. At a bar if I just order a beer, usually a dollar. Simple 1 and 1 mixed drink $2, and for cocktails $3 or 20% depending on the cost. 

it’d be nice if gratuities were built in so that the upsales of the server/bartender/barista influenced their income and provided a fairer wage without placing the pressure on customers to provide an additional tip unless they really wanted to.  Unfortunately, that isn’t the country we live in. 

In Brazil in restaurants a 10% tip is usually included to your bill, so that 10% will go to the waiters, the employer still needs to guarantee he's paying the minimum wage and other labor rights though like 30 days vacation etc (unless the waiter was hired informally/illegaly), but yeah the 10% tip is usually always given, unless the service was really bad then we ask not to pay, only in a few places have they asked for more than that, and the maximum was 15% I THINK.

1 hour ago, Tropez said:

Only in the US* 

Other countries tend to pay people a living wage. 

No in BC Canada servers make over $15 an hour as minimum wage PLUS tips, and you're still expected to tip 15% or more. I know several servers making $70k+ a year and they don't declare any of the the tips as taxes either lol.

If I’m somewhere and the option to tip is available, or expected, then I just tip :foxaylove2:

Im not gonna miss a few dollars and I realize people deal with shitty customers all the time so if it makes the job even slightly easier then I don’t mind. 

people deserve a stable income, not dread going to work every day wondering if they'll earn enough tips to make their rent and bills

i don't have the facts or data on this but it's fair to assume people of color or people who appear to be from marginalized groups get tipped even less in america

hell if you are more conventionally attractive or have bigger boobs as a woman you'd probably get more tips, just imagine having a bad day and you are not in the mood to entertain the sexist racist straight white men and they don't tip you

it's such an absurd, unfair and messed up thing and there should be no moral superiority about "being a good tipper" because it supports a flawed system :skull:

1 hour ago, XAMJ said:

Yes tipping is so gross, they put you on the spot and make you feel obligated to tip them. they say industry workers deserve tips well i say healthcare workers also deserve tips, let me ask a patient and guilt them into tipping before i go get their saline bag or medication

Made 0 points because Healthcare workers get paid accordingly. Servers don't. 

If you don't tip the waiter at least 10% YOU ARE GARBAGE! 

I say this living in London.

It does seem like a weird concept tbh. I only tip if the service is exceptional (so very rarely) which is the case for most people in the UK I think.

45 minutes ago, Acetone said:

Yeah I’ll tip on delivery or other services like haircuts

but now pickup/carry out orders seem like they expect tips and I was always taught to tip for delivery but not pickup

Aren't you already paying for the haircut? Why would you tip over a haircut :deadbanana:

I'm one of those people that typically ALWAYS tips tbh