If You Could Choose Would You Be An A-Lister Actor or Singer

AbeHicks

If you could decide to embark on one of these career paths and it would be guaranteed that you will be a huge global success with smash after smash, but you would never find success in the other avenue, which one would you pick?

Would you choose the life of singing, touring and expressing your deepest emotions to the world only to see people relate to the words that you conveyed in your songs?

Or would you prefer to bring the vision of different directors to life on the big screen and do the same interview over and over again as you campaign for that Oscar?

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cain

• KillingYourCareer

• AbeHicks

• Talking Fish

The recording artist. At least I could adopt a pseudonym and hide my identity a la Daft Punk and live a normal life off the stage. I value my privacy too much to ever desire the kind of tabloid presence reserved for successful actors. 

A-list actor. Actors are given more privacy. You don’t have to show your personality or to be seen as relatable to be an actor. You have way more opportunities as an actor. If your movie is a box office or critical pan, Hollywood or the GP doesn’t instantly write you off because your next project may be the biggest of the year. You’re guaranteed to have 30+ years in the industry if you want to. You can disappear for many years and don’t have to worry about being a has-been because roles are always up for grabs. 

Actor. That life is better suited for me; less public appearances, more respect… 

Just my opinion though

I would be an A-list actor. I think these days A-list actors get more privacy and less tabloid attention than A-list musicians (though it was different in the past). I would also hate the expectation that is put on musicians to be authentic and vulnerable… I’d rather be an actor and pretend to be someone else. Finally, as ageist as the film industry is I think the music industry is worse so I think I could have a longer and more consistent career in the film industry (not to mention if you land a good TV show you’re set for a while) whereas the music industry offers higher highs but also lower lows.

Singer, there must be no feeling like 40 thousand people singing along with you about what a douchebag your ex is

Singer. It would be fun to go on tour around the world. :matty:

Both have their pros and cons, but I'd definitely go for singer because I don't like following orders and I'd rather have freedom to express my creativity

12 minutes ago, kandicha said:

I would be an A-list actor. I think these days A-list actors get more privacy and less tabloid attention than A-list musicians (though it was different in the past). I would also hate the expectation that is put on musicians to be authentic and vulnerable… I’d rather be an actor and pretend to be someone else. Finally, as ageist as the film industry is I think the music industry is worse so I think I could have a longer and more consistent career in the film industry (not to mention if you land a good TV show you’re set for a while) whereas the music industry offers higher highs but also lower lows.

This is an interesting perspective. For a singer sure the chart success has a time limit because of industry support, but if you establish yourself as a good performer you can tour forever and that is where the money is. But yeah now that I think about it being an actor is way more easy and less physically demanding.

the music industry seems much more competitive and tiring so i'll go with actor.

Singer but only if I can release one album every 5 years, I don't have the energy to work like Ariana and etc

Actor. I very much enjoy my privacy outside of my already small circle and I don't need people talking about every significant detail of me while I'm on stage or something. I control the narrative with any movie/show I take place in

Definitely A-list singer. Established recording artists make WAY more money, are more famous and respected and don't work for anybody.

Being a popstar seems way more fun, you get to have a lot more say in your image, your stagename, expression through music, imagery and clothing. I think creatively it would be way more fulfilling (if you're A-list and get to decide your own narrative)

But being an actor is way more sustainable and healthy, you will have a longer career and can stay more out of the limelight when you want to. It also comes with more respect

Actor. Musicians live a tough life. Between writing music, coming up with album concepts, promo, shooting music videos, touring, etc. I think I would go insane.

All an actor needs to do is show up, say their lines, and leave. And maybe do a press junket here and there.

27 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

This is an interesting perspective. For a singer sure the chart success has a time limit because of industry support, but if you establish yourself as a good performer you can tour forever and that is where the money is. But yeah now that I think about it being an actor is way more easy and less physically demanding.

Being a famous singer/popstar is ten times harder than being a famous actor, it's a 24/7 job that demands a lot more from you than acting does of actors

Singer. Being an actor seems boring. 

Singer, having absolute control on my image, sound, projects, MVs, lyrics etc and being the solo star of an endeavor with no co stars is bigger and better.

Touring itself is a bonus, to have millions of fans and traveling the world. 

Actor 

Seems to have less drug problem than singer especially when on tour 

And if I got a popular tv show I'll earn pretty money for years instead of pennies from music streaming 

I don't know, maybe actress because there's no tour, not that much expectations, not that much stress etc.