American police killed someone 350 out of 365 days in 2021

Communion

1 hour ago, Dula Peep said:

Because 9 times out of 10 cops shoot first then ask questions later… :katie:

Because they're sissies

Just checked out of curiosity and found out that the German police shot a bit over 500 since 1952.

The NRA is actively killing your people, US.

The American policing system is completely broken. 1 year of Joe Biden and nothing has changed. 

1 hour ago, Robert said:

The American policing system is completely broken. 1 year of Joe Biden and nothing has changed. 

That is exactly what he promised by “Nothing would fundamentally change” while he was campaigning. Sure, it might not have been meant THAT way and was taken out of context, but… I mean…. It was certainly emblematic of his candidacy AND his presidency so far.

11 hours ago, Communion said:

Some back of the napkin math:

Number of homicides in 2019: 19k

Number of homicides in 2020: 24k (the conditions of the pandemic saw a sudden increase despite, even with the increase, totals are still are historic lows)

If you average those to remove the outlier effect of the pandemic, that's 21k homicides

So that's 1,117 people killed by cops versus 21,500 homicides, a ratio of 1:19.

So far every 1 person killed by a cop, 19 people are killed in a case of homicide in the US each year.

The context for that though is that cops, however, are a significantly small portion of the population (obviously imperfect though as I imagine there are cops who commit homicides when off-duty, for example).

There are, at the highest, 700k active cops working in the US versus 257.6M adult Americans who are not cops. 

Meaning, for every 1 American who is a cop, there are 368 who are not.

"Cops" as a demographic group are responsible for a disproportionate number of murders in comparison to "Non-Cops" as a demographic then, yes? If the idea is that cops should be held to a higher standard to be able not to kill people while performing their job?

Even if you say all murders that happened under the "possibly violent" incidents were completely justified and not really 'murder' - claiming cops have a higher likelihood to interact with violent people than the average person - that's still 581 unexplained murders.

Meanwhile, if "Cops" killed at the same rate as "Non-Cops", that number would be..... 58 a year, not 581.  And surely we should have the moral standards to expect 0 murders from cops, yes?

The idea that the American people are just highly violent is misguided and only serves the purpose to justify America's ongoing existence as a police state.. It's more likely that the political system that fuels the police state is also what fuel the poor material conditions that cause the homicide rates.

Put another way: If the American people were murdering one another at the rate in which cops murder people, you'd be looking at a yearly homicide total closer to 213k-408k, not 21.5k

This is just tragic, I have no words.... Americans really live and die by violence at this point, it be against their own country or others...

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Pretends to be shocked. No wonder that trash didn't get my vote

20 hours ago, Bloo said:

And yet the Biden administration quietly shut down the Police Oversight Committee immediately after Derek Chauvin was found guilty. 

Yup. I wish this was more known, too. Specifically to Black voters and even those who are apolitical. It speaks volumes, to say the least. I still stand by what I said that this administration will be more detrimental to Black communities and POC than the Trump admin.

Those numbers are very frustrating and infuriating to see, but the stats of violence against native americans are particulary even more terrifying here, they literally make up less than 1% of the US population. People don't highlight racial profiling against them enough.

21 hours ago, GentleEarthquake said:

not surprised, ACAB

3 hours ago, Scars said:

Those numbers are very frustrating and infuriating to see, but the stats of violence against native americans are particulary even more terrifying here, they literally make up less than 1% of the US population. People don't highlight racial profiling against them enough.

Indeed!

America is a third world country

American PD is the biggest GANG in America 🤷🏽‍♂️ i’m not at all surprised by these numbers 🤦🏽‍♂️ It is infuriating though.

On 1/2/2022 at 1:13 AM, rihannabiggestfan said:

Because they're sissies

They’re always “so scared” that’s what they always say. Don’t become a Cop if you are scary it’s that simple 🤷🏽‍♂️ I was I watching a doc on Netflix called 137. The police department in Ohio shot into a car with two black people 137 times and one cop even got on the hood and fired 15 shots at point blank range and when he was interviewed he said he was more scared in this incident than he was fighting in Iraq 🙄 mind you the two people inside the 🚗 didn’t even have a gun 🤦🏽‍♂️ nor were they criminals 

The problem is a lot of KKK, AOB etc are police officers, judges, prosecutors etc.   I was watching something with Malcolm X and he was talking to the KKK and they told him that soon we won’t have to wear these sheets cause we’re going to be policing your communities, judges, teachers teaching your kids etc 

I’m confused. Is this graphic saying that police killed an unarmed person 350/365 days? Because “overall police killings” isn’t useful it includes armed violent people shot by police. 

7 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

I’m confused. Is this graphic saying that police killed an unarmed person 350/365 days? Because “overall police killings” isn’t useful it includes armed violent people shot by police. 

I think you'll find something in the constitution that puts a hole in your odd claim that someone possessing a gun justifies extrajudicial murder by the state. :biblio:

1 hour ago, Communion said:

I think you'll find something in the constitution that puts a hole in your odd claim that someone possessing a gun justifies extrajudicial murder by the state. :biblio:

Lol. No one said that. I’m talking about armed people in a violent encounter with police, but you knew that. Not interested in a bad faith debate.

Just now, PoisonPill said:

Lol. No one said that. I’m talking about armed people in a violent encounter with police, but you knew that. Not interested in a bad faith debate.

You quite literally said all armed people killed by cops were violent:

8 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

I imagine the one arguing in bad faith is you pretending someone having a gun on them makes them then "violent" despite this being a constitutionally protected right within America. But I guess that only applies for largely white men. :cm:

2 hours ago, Communion said:

You quite literally said all armed people killed by cops were violent:

I imagine the one arguing in bad faith is you pretending someone having a gun on them makes them then "violent" despite this being a constitutionally protected right within America. But I guess that only applies for largely white men. :cm:

It appears there’s a verbal/reading comprehension issue here. I said “armed people who are in a violent encounter with police,” not “all people who legally carry a weapon.” Anyway, moving on.

Just now, PoisonPill said:

It appears there’s a verbal/reading comprehension issue here. I said “armed people who are in a violent encounter with police,” not “all people who legally carry a weapon.” Anyway, moving on.

You literally suggested that the only relevant / helpful statistic would be, I repeat, unarmed deaths:

10 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

I’m confused. Is this graphic saying that police killed an unarmed person 350/365 days? 

Just say you view police brutality as rightful and fine when the victim is not "respectable" to you, which apparently includes enacting one's 2nd amendment rights. :priceless:

So out of the 25,000 homicide in the US, the police is responsible for 0.014%.
The way fake news say it....  :deadbanana4:

We need more police and they need to be better armed and supported. The crime is out of control.

Homicide went up by 20% last year after they release all the criminals from jail.

As a young black man leaving in a urban city, I am the #1 potential victim of gun violence. I have already been stabbed. It makes me sick when people living in comfortable suburbs try to tell us how the cops are too mean and the bad guys are being abused. :rip:

:rip:

Edited by frenchyisback

8 hours ago, frenchyisback said:

So out of the 25,000 homicide in the US, the police is responsible for 0.014%.

When you try to find a percentage, you're supposed to multiple by 100 after dividing the partial by the whole, I.... :deadbanana4: