American police killed someone 350 out of 365 days in 2021

Communion

People Killed by Police in 2021: 1117

0ewayGn.png

R0BD49f.png

qsjxqp9.png

6xrhGE3.png

• ATRL Moderator

And yet the Biden administration quietly shut down the Police Oversight Committee immediately after Derek Chauvin was found guilty. 

Trash

4 minutes ago, Bloo said:

And yet the Biden administration quietly shut down the Police Oversight Committee immediately after Derek Chauvin was found guilty. 

Exactly. This administration isn’t slick. So disappointing. 

And nothing will be done about it, we'll just continue to suffer like always 

At least we got a street mural I guess🙃

not surprised, ACAB

29 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Scum 

• ATRL Moderator
17 minutes ago, Armani👑 said:

And nothing will be done about it, we'll just continue to suffer like always 

At least we got a street mural I guess🙃

If we’re lucky, we’ll get Joe Biden kneeling in kente cloth. :heart: 

44 minutes ago, Bloo said:

How does a mental health check lead to someone being killed? :psyduck:

And how many times American citizens killed other american citizens? I really want to see same stats on it....one thing for sure, rhe USA is going to scary place with all their killings.

Is it weird that I'm surprised it wasn't more? :rip:

1 hour ago, C-Amber said:

And how many times American citizens killed other american citizens?

Violent crime is actually down to historic lows:

Nobody is surprised. It’s just funny that whenever we African-Americans bring that up, our claims are dismissed a lot of times. It’s aggravating. 

But hey, we got a street mural and some road signs I guess. 

not surprised but disgusted :coffee2:

Not to say that the rest of the world doesn’t have issues with abuse of power with police etc, but seriously do the Americans know that the rest of us look at statistics like these and just think “wtf???”

Like it shocks me every time a statistic like this is posted. It’s just embarrassing and sad that nothing seems to be changing. America is so rich and has so much access to education etc, so they should be a world leader in the space of human rights. But it seems like so many of their citizens are just willingly oblivious and accepting of stuff like this. It’s absolutely insane. Of course there are the ones trying to drive change (blm movement etc) but I just find it crazy how much opposition they have.

The whole population seems hypocritical half the time too, with the general online consensus saying trump’s administration  was a disaster, and then the poll results showing almost 50% of the pop voting for him again (of course this might be skewed in my view since I am very liberal in my politics and what I consume online). Anyways not trying to drag Americans, I know it’s not everyone. I am just word vomiting i guess 

18 minutes ago, youreyesgocold said:

but seriously do the Americans know that the rest of us look at statistics like these and just think “wtf???”

Sorry to say, but most Americans don't care, and they utterly reject any attempt to reform policing when it comes down to it. "Defund the police" just means taking excess funding from police that has been funneled there by cutting from various resources and programs, yet because it "sounds bad," nobody cares to educate themselves on what it actually means or what it would do for their communities. That and police departments practically riot if you don't overfund them and provide them with military-grade equipment to quash protesters with, so they'll act out of civil disobedience and not respond to calls for help, allowing violent crime to spike, which creates fear and desperation leading to the public demanding more funding and support for violent policing for their protection.

As such, we're only going to have more George Floyds and Eric Garners and Breonna Taylors. The supposedly pro-BLM Democratic Party in New York City nominated a pro-stop and frisk, pro-torture former police chief to be their mayor. Chicago is probably going to can Lori Lightfoot for a pro-cop mayor as well.

4 hours ago, AbeHicks said:

If a person with autism ends up having a mental break or panic attack of any kind, police response is generally either to shoot them or restrain them, which mostly exacerbates the issue and causes them to panic more, and then they shoot. It's actually really common, and dispatchers will laugh at you and call you deranged if you request for them to send a social worker instead of armed police, knowing what they'd do to you, and send the police anyway.

Edited by ClashAndBurn

4 hours ago, AbeHicks said:

Because 9 times out of 10 cops shoot first then ask questions later… :katie:

2 hours ago, Communion said:

Violent crime is actually down to historic lows:

But what are the numbers exactly? As well I think the mass school killing is up high and not going down.

3 hours ago, St. Charles said:

Is it weird that I'm surprised it wasn't more? :rip:

18 minutes ago, C-Amber said:

But what are the numbers exactly? As well I think the mass school killing is up high and not going down.

Some back of the napkin math:

Number of homicides in 2019: 19k

Number of homicides in 2020: 24k (the conditions of the pandemic saw a sudden increase despite, even with the increase, totals are still are historic lows)

If you average those to remove the outlier effect of the pandemic, that's 21k homicides

So that's 1,117 people killed by cops versus 21,500 homicides, a ratio of 1:19.

So far every 1 person killed by a cop, 19 people are killed in a case of homicide in the US each year.

The context for that though is that cops, however, are a significantly small portion of the population (obviously imperfect though as I imagine there are cops who commit homicides when off-duty, for example).

There are, at the highest, 700k active cops working in the US versus 257.6M adult Americans who are not cops. 

Meaning, for every 1 American who is a cop, there are 368 who are not.

"Cops" as a demographic group are responsible for a disproportionate number of murders in comparison to "Non-Cops" as a demographic then, yes? If the idea is that cops should be held to a higher standard to be able not to kill people while performing their job?

Even if you say all murders that happened under the "possibly violent" incidents were completely justified and not really 'murder' - claiming cops have a higher likelihood to interact with violent people than the average person - that's still 581 unexplained murders.

Meanwhile, if "Cops" killed at the same rate as "Non-Cops", that number would be..... 58 a year, not 581.  And surely we should have the moral standards to expect 0 murders from cops, yes?

The idea that the American people are just highly violent is misguided and only serves the purpose to justify America's ongoing existence as a police state.. It's more likely that the political system that fuels the police state is also what fuel the poor material conditions that cause the homicide rates.

Put another way: If the American people were murdering one another at the rate in which cops murder people, you'd be looking at a yearly homicide total closer to 213k-408k, not 21.5k

2 minutes ago, Communion said:

Some back of the napkin math:

Number of homicides in 2019: 19k

Number of homicides in 2020: 24k (the conditions of the pandemic saw a sudden increase despite, even with the increase, totals are still are historic lows)

If you average those to remove the outlier effect of the pandemic, that's 21k homicides

So that's 1,117 people killed by cops versus 21,500 homicides, a ratio of 1:19.

So far every 1 person killed by a cop, 19 people are killed in a case of homicide in the US each year.

The context for that though is that cops, however, are a significantly small portion of the population (obviously imperfect though as I imagine there are cops who commit homicides when off-duty, for example).

There are, at the highest, 700k active cops working in the US versus 257.6M adult Americans who are not cops. 

Meaning, for every 1 American who is a cop, there are 368 who are not.

"Cops" as a demographic group are responsible for a disproportionate number of murders in comparison to "Non-Cops" as a demographic then, yes? If the idea is that cops should be held to a higher standard to be able not to kill people while performing their job?

Even if you say all murders that happened under the "possibly violent" incidents were completely justified and not really 'murder' - claiming cops have a higher likelihood to interact with violent people than the average person - that's still 581 unexplained murders.

Meanwhile, if "Cops" killed at the same rate as "Non-Cops", that number would be..... 58 a year, not 581.  And surely we should have the moral standards to expect 0 murders from cops, yes?

The idea that the American people are just highly violent is misguided and only serves the purpose to justify America's ongoing existence as a police state.. It's more likely that the political system that fuels the police state is also what fuel the poor material conditions that cause the homicide rates.

Put another way: If the American people were murdering one another at the rate in which cops murder people, you'd be looking at a yearly homicide total closer to 213k-408k, not 21.5k

Oh I never thought that the American people were highly violent or that there was some sort of blood bath going on, I guess I had just assumed that out of all the arrests made every day all over the country, that maybe 5-10 people could be killed by police per day. But looking back, I think it wasn't that far from what the data showed. 

This really puts it into perspective :clap3: