Is SJP a one hit wonder? Should she have been bigger?

MadonnasBoyfriend

I feel Sarah Jessica Parker is a one hit wonder. Everyone just thinks of her as Carrie Bradshaw Sex and the city. i cant think of her in anything else besides hocus pocus and first wives club but I dont even know those characters names I just remember what they look like really. After binging the series and movies just now I wonder why she didnt become a legit movie star. Shes beautiful but in a a very very unconventional way . I wonder if that hurt her career. And i know the new show is a hit but really its just like a new season of the one show shes known for. So does she deserve to be a oscar winning huge movie star or is she just Carrie Bradshaw?

Edited by MadonnasBoyfriend

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bey'Knight

• MadonnasBoyfriend

• Fastlane

• Sharapov

14 minutes ago, MadonnasBoyfriend said:

I feel Sarah Jessica Parker is a one hit wonder. Everyone just thinks of her as Carrie Bradshaw Sex and the city. i cant think of her in anything else besides hocus pocus and first wives club.

You literally just disproved your own point. :skull: 

She has multiple iconic roles but Carrie is LEGEND STATUS!

17 minutes ago, RenHonjo said:

I wouldn't call and just like that a hit, since for the most part is getting terrible reviews 

calling something a hit is more discussing how well the show is doing in regards to ratings versus critic reception. If critics hate something but it makes 1 billion dollars its still a hit.

Edited by MadonnasBoyfriend

But that role is so legendary... Carrie Bradshaw alone got her 6 Golden Globes and 2 Emmys :jonny:

And she also has some cult movies under her name like Hocus Pocus and The First Wives Club

She has iconic movies (Hocus Pocus, First Wives Club, Footloose, Family Stone) AND one of the most iconic tv shows of all time.

Most actresses would DREAM to have half of what she has under her belt. :toofunny3:

7 minutes ago, Fastlane said:
Starring

I don't know why, but she wasn't listed as Top 8 starring stars on this movie. 

Her role was basically the same size as Elizabeth Berkley who was also in the film and not on that list :laugh2:

2 minutes ago, MadonnasBoyfriend said:

Her role was basically the same size as Elizabeth Berkley who was also in the film and not on that list :laugh2:

I've never seen this movie, but I know about it. I was sure she has Top 3 role. 

I group her with Jennifer Aniston... unconventional beauty and most known for one iconic series.

I think the lasting impact of SATC is enough tbh. SJP is iconic for that reason. 

1 minute ago, Fastlane said:

I've never seen this movie, but I know about it. I was sure she has Top 3 role. 

she plays the new young girlfriend to bette millers husband. She has like 4 lines lol

2 minutes ago, Pinocchiho said:

I group her with Jennifer Aniston... unconventional beauty and most known for one iconic series.

I think the lasting impact of SATC is enough tbh. SJP is iconic for that reason. 

Jennifer was one of the most attractive and sexiest women at her prime. 

She got so lucky with SATC because she had been trying to be a leading lady for like 15 years before that and the GP just kept REFUSING chile. Before SATC her career had diminished to minor supporting roles. She had like five lines in The First Wives Club, for instance. :skull: She’s a terrible actress and has been riding on the success of the SATC series for a quarter of a century now (with drastically diminishing returns) and it makes sense that the GP only ever accepted her in the role of a talentless annoying hack.

She’s a supporting actress. SatC is the only show where she was a successful lead.

We only associate her with SATC because it's one of the most culturally impactful tv shows of all time. Nothing she does will ever come close so it's harder to associate her with anything else. 

She's what Jennifer Aniston would be today without the friends check backup and the promotional gossip Angelina kindly gave to her.

She's an icon anyway tho (SJP) so who cares.

ed848bb13b8e1e58b62500ce2266aefb3bc8f8f8

36 minutes ago, Pinocchiho said:

Our minds omg lambs are connected ed848bb13b8e1e58b62500ce2266aefb3bc8f8f8

Edited by Totami Legend

U do realise she had a thriving film career well before SATC right? She had a few hits didn’t like failure to launch. 

1 hour ago, Fastlane said:
Starring

I don't know why, but she wasn't listed as Top 8 starring stars on this movie. 

1 hour ago, MadonnasBoyfriend said:

Just watched the movie yesterday. Her role is bigger than Stockard, Marcia and Maggie’s. This list isn’t in definitive order besides the top three leads. 

Sarah was also one of the few to net a nomination for her role so it was certainly well-received 

I don't think that's really fair. She had success in other projects both before and after SATC. That's part of the original SJP vs Kim drama... the show was written with SJP in mind, had her name on all the promo, and she was getting paid the most, because she was already a "star" going into it.

Hocus Pocus has only gotten bigger over the years, and is going to receive a fresh wave of love and attention when the sequel comes out.

It is definitely her career-defining role and the main thing she'll be remembered for, though.